    software are not available or won't run on this machine I now regret doing
    so. Is it possible to "roll back" x64 to x86 or will I have to reformat and
    start over? Thank you.

    Craig, Sep 8, 2009

  2. Reformat and start over, I'm afraid.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 8, 2009

  3. Craig

    Craig Guest

    That's not the answer I had hoped for but I am not surprised. Thanks.

    Craig, Sep 8, 2009
  4. Craig

    Zootal Guest

    Which drivers or software are not available or won't run?

    Zootal, Sep 8, 2009
  5. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Believe it or not, I am having to use an "older" version of some HP printer
    functionality software because some of the newer HP stuff won't run on XP
    x64. Also, I've discovered that iTunes won't run on that OS either. Since
    this machine is used primarily by my wife, that is a crisis, if you know what
    I mean. It was also a fiasco getting a driver for the EVGA GTS250 graphics
    card. I finally did get that though.

    Craig, Sep 8, 2009
  6. Craig

    Zootal Guest

    Ah, I feel your pain. The only HP driver for my printer is a beta driver
    which likes to blue screen windows from time to time. HP recommended using a
    driver for an older printer that exists for XP64, and that is what I ended
    up doing. Works surprisingly well.

    Can't comment on iTunes, but yeah, I can see how that would be a deal
    breaker :)

    I have to use the CheckPoint VPN client, and there is no client for XP64. So
    I run Win2000 in a virtual machine, and run the 32 bit client there. This
    actually works out very well. I work in the client about twenty hours a
    week. I keep a backup of the VM, and don't have to dinker with my XP64
    installation to get the VPN client to work. I can also use the VM from any
    OS (I have five on this box - Windows 7 (eewww), XP64, XP32, Win98 (just
    DOS), and Linux) except Win98.

    YMMV - I would not run XP64 on my wife's machine. She can handle email and
    internet, but that is about it. The pain of teaching her to use a VM to get
    iTunes to work (assuming it would even work in a VM) is more then I can bear
    :)

    Zootal, Sep 8, 2009
  7. Craig

    Craig Guest

    There is NO WAY I would even consider an VM on my wife's machine. It would
    blow her clean off the map. You're right, email, pictures, music, and
    occasional Internet. I can't even get to check email more than about once a
    week.

    It sounds like you need a few operating systems on your machine. Goodness,
    I would hate to think about keeping up with all that. So, how do you like 7?
    I have it but haven't installed it yet. I'm wondering how many driver and
    software issues I would have?

    Craig, Sep 8, 2009
  8. Craig

    Zootal Guest

    Having a few OS's on my machine is not too much trouble :). I keep XP32 for
    when I need to restore XP64. I backup my windows, documents and settings,
    program files directories. When I do something stupid that breaks XP64, I
    boot to XP32 and restore the files ( I NEVER reformat just because I need to
    reinstall the OS). Win98 I never actually use, it's just sitting there. I
    had Vista for a while, but Vista to me was nothing more then another Windows
    ME. Same old pig with a fancier wrapper. I quickly went back to XP. I'm
    starting to look at Windows 7 the same way. Same old pig, fancier wrapper. I
    have it, but I don't use it and haven't decided if I'm going to. I keep
    linux around for when I need to do something there but I have a couple of
    other boxes with Linux for my Linux work - Linux on this machine mostly sits
    unused.

    Zootal, Sep 8, 2009
  9. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Thanks for Win7 tip. I'll watch the posts a little longer before I install it.

    Craig, Sep 9, 2009
  10. On the other hand, most of the regulars here seem to like Win7 a lot. I know
    I do. I'm running it on all my machines already that will support it. Only
    machine left at an earlier release is an old Tablet PC that really isn't up
    to Win7.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 9, 2009
  11. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Thanks Charlie. I have heard several good things about it. My greatest
    concern is getting drivers and software to run on such a new OS. I have
    fought that battle so many times. I get anxious to install the new OS and
    then regret it because, as I said, drivers are not available and existing
    software won't install/run on it.

    Craig, Sep 9, 2009
  12. Craig

    Zootal Guest

    I also see a higher acceptance level among those with lower skill levels and
    those with less experience. Maybe it's mostly us old farts that have been
    around a while that have lower acceptance levels? I'd be very interested in
    seeing some demographics among acceptors and rejectors of Win 7.

    Zootal, Sep 10, 2009
  13. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Well, this has developed into quite a thread here, but I like the dicussion.
    It would be interesting to see the demographics. Charlie, is such
    information available? Would it be published if it is? Now, for the last
    thing in my response here, Zootal, are you calling me old? (Kidding)

    Craig, Sep 10, 2009
  14. I've seen no demographics. And I resist completely the idea that it's less
    skilled users. The features that make Win7 a winner, IMO, are at least as
    much about sophisticated users.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 10, 2009
  15. Craig

    Craig Guest

    Thanks Charlie.

    Craig, Sep 10, 2009
  16. Craig

    kdsdata Guest

    Installed win7 a few days ago, and I am surprised at how "few" problems. The
    install DVD iso I received via the Microsoft Action Partner program for the
    x64 version recognized all my programs and converted the OS (dare I say it?)
    flawlessly. Only two issues.

    One is that I had/have to re-enter the registration keys for just about all
    the installed programs. Not a big issue.

    The second was with an HP supplied print driver for a Xerox printer. After
    much playing around I discovered that downloading the errand drivers from
    Xerox (errand because they do not support win7 yet), setting the properties
    to be compatible with XP x64 (the spec for the downloaded driver), setting
    the properties to run as Administrator, installing the errand driver (to get
    some bits and pieces that win7 doesn't have yet, or so it seems), and then
    replacing the errand driver with the driver installed with win7. Sounds
    convoluted, but it works repeatedly.

    Most programs work fine, and when they didn't I changed the properties to
    have the programs run in the XP x64 compatibility mode, and as administrator.
    That has so far worked all the time.

    Hope this helps,
    kdsdata

    kdsdata, Oct 20, 2009