    to have to wait for to make Win XP x64 really usable?

    In addition, does Microsoft have a Registry Cleaner/Maintenance Tool, which
    I have not found?

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Aug 15, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    Sam Crawford Guest

    On 15-Aug-2005, =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?= <>
    wrote:

    > My question; will Registry Cleaners designed for 32 Bit Windows be safe to
    >
    > use with 64 Bit Windows or is this another software package that we are
    > going
    > to have to wait for to make Win XP x64 really usable?

    I tried using Registry Mechanic on a trial version of x64 and it wouldn't
    run. I don't remember if it would install.

    Sam Crawford, Aug 15, 2005

  3. I found one:
    http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleanerPro.html

    The Registry is a heart and soul of any Windows system. It contains
    information that controls how your Windows appears and how it behaves. Most
    applications today use registry to store configuration and other important
    data. When you install an application, a new registry entries will be
    created. This entries will automatically be deleted when you uninstall the
    application. Unfortunately, it is not always work that way. Sometimes, you
    will find that some applications fail to remove their own registry entries.
    This entry will become obsolete.
    After a long period, after installing and uninstalling a lot number of
    applications, your Windows registry will contain a large number of obsolete
    entries. This will significantly increase the registry size and thus will
    slowdown your computer, because Windows will need more time to load, search,
    and read data from registry.

    To keep your computer in top performance, it is recommended to periodically
    clean your Windows registry.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 15, 2005

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFja00=?=, Aug 15, 2005
  5. Yes, there are changes in the registry. A 32-bit registry cleaner may well
    run, but it will have an incomplete view of the registry -- it will only see
    the registry keys that apply to 32-bit programs. Others have suggested
    possible cleaners, and some may be 64-bit. Personally, I've never had a need
    for one, but then, I don't tend to do a lot of uninstalling -- I build my
    system up to what I need it to be, and then I get on with my work. And if I
    do uninstall something, and need to clean up after it, I just open regedit
    and do it. But YMMV, so take a look at the other recommendations here.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 15, 2005
  6. From these comments:
    (1) I can assume Win XP X64 does require a Registry Cleaner specifically
    designed and tested for it.
    (2) No such software yet exists.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Aug 15, 2005
  7. I am sure I just gave you a link to a native x64 registry cleaner.

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 15, 2005
  8. 1.) No, it doesn't need a native 64 bit cleaner, since most of your programs
    are still 32-bit anyway. So you'll be fine for at least a while, since there
    are some that are 32-bit but will work.
    2.) No, there ARE native 64-bit ones. Andre, for one, pointed you at such a
    thing.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 15, 2005
  9. Sorry about the misunderstanding, I went to all of the links Andre gave, but
    missed the first one.

    Thanks for the Time and Inputs from everyone.

    Roger

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=, Aug 15, 2005
  10. No biggie. :)

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 15, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Microsoft does have a registry cleaner. It is called RegClean.exe. I
    haven't tried it yet on x64

    John Barnes, Aug 16, 2005
  12. RogerP wrote:
    > I have read that Microsoft made changes in the Registry for WIN XP X64 Edition.
    >
    > My question; will Registry Cleaners designed for 32 Bit Windows be safe to
    > use with 64 Bit Windows or is this another software package that we are going
    > to have to wait for to make Win XP x64 really usable?

    Considering that there's no such thing as a "safe" registry cleaner for
    32-bit versions of WinXP, I can't imagine how you'd think they might be
    OK to use on the 64-bit version.

    What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using a registry cleaner? If you
    do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it would be far better
    to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only the specific key(s)
    and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why use a shotgun when a
    scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the manually changing of one or
    two registry entries is far less likely to have the dire consequences of
    allowing an automated product to make multiple changes simultaneously.

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    > In addition, does Microsoft have a Registry Cleaner/Maintenance Tool, which
    > I have not found?

    No, because no one has ever demonstrated a true need for one, or proven
    that any benefit is to be derived from using one.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Aug 16, 2005
  13. Andre Da Costa wrote:
    > I found one:
    > http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleanerPro.html
    >
    > The Registry is a heart and soul of any Windows system. It contains
    > information that controls how your Windows appears and how it behaves.
    > Most applications today use registry to store configuration and other
    > important data. When you install an application, a new registry entries
    > will be created. This entries will automatically be deleted when you
    > uninstall the application. Unfortunately, it is not always work that
    > way. Sometimes, you will find that some applications fail to remove
    > their own registry entries. This entry will become obsolete.
    > After a long period, after installing and uninstalling a lot number of
    > applications, your Windows registry will contain a large number of
    > obsolete entries.

    All of the above is true.

    > This will significantly ....

    Depends upon one's definitiion of "significant," I suppose. It's
    certainly not enough of a difference to have any measureable affect upon
    WinXP's performance, though.

    > ... increase the registry size and
    > thus will slowdown your computer, because Windows will need more time to
    > load, search, and read data from registry.

    Please provide links to an independent research laboratory that can
    confirm this claim. Years of personal experience certainly don't
    support it. Nor have I ever found anyone besides the manufacturers of
    such products (and a few of their more gullible customers) who make such
    a claim.

    > To keep your computer in top performance, it is recommended to
    > periodically clean your Windows registry.

    Recommended by whom? I don't know a single experienced technician who
    recommends the use of a registry cleaner; but I do know a great many who
    strongly urge that such products be avoided at all costs.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Aug 16, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    -Dan- Guest

    RegSupreme Pro is reported to work in this thread: http://www.macecraft.com/phpBB2/vie...=x64&sid=8b1a97b4df1dd4786a82274add4ff743#top.

    --
    -Dan-

    -Dan-, Aug 16, 2005
  15. Frankly, I've never found a use for them, and I _have_ had to recover
    systems that used them.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 16, 2005
  16. John Barnes wrote:
    > Microsoft does have a registry cleaner. It is called RegClean.exe. I
    > haven't tried it yet on x64

    RegClean was designed for Win9x operating systems, and didn't work real
    well on them. It's been discontinued and unsupported for years, now. I
    certainly wouldn't advise trying to use it on a modern OS.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Aug 17, 2005
  17. Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
    > Frankly, I've never found a use for them, and I _have_ had to recover
    > systems that used them.

    Agreed. A large portion of my income derives from repairing systems
    whose owners' last act was to use a registry cleaner.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Aug 17, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    Default User Guest

    Most of the left-overs in the registry do not affect any thing. I am wary
    of registry cleaners on XP and I am not about to turn one loose on x64.
    Considering the tens of thousands of lines in the registry, a few hundred
    orphans just aren't going to matter. Your mileage may vary.

    Default User, Aug 17, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Never had a problem with it on XP. Never needed assistance so never needed
    to contact the RegClean team as per the panel.
    Sorry it's gone.

    John Barnes, Aug 17, 2005
  20. =?Utf-8?B?Um9nZXJQ?=

    Torrey Lauer Guest

    I've used Registry Mechanic for two years now, and I love it. It does a
    restore point before cleaning the registry, and you do get to go through the
    list to see if you actually want to clean a particular entry or not.

    I have not had one problem with it and I use it on all our PCs.

    --
    Torrey Lauer
    Modern Travel Services

    Rainbow Sky Travel