    retail/oem copy?
    Will it be as easy as "upgrading"?

    TIA Andrew
    Drew Boillot, Jun 17, 2005

  2. Drew Boillot

    NNBXX Guest

    Point 1 : this is a 120 day trial, NOT a 180 one.
    Ponit 2 : if you want to upgrade, either you purchase a full OEM copy with a
    qualifying piece of hardware, or you go TAP if your hardware/XP Pro 32 bit
    license are eligible.

    NNBXX, Jun 17, 2005

  3. Drew Boillot

    Drew Boillot Guest

    I ment 120 days not 180, small typo i did twice.. LOL

    So it is possible to upgrade and keep all your settings then? that's my main
    question.

    Drew Boillot, Jun 17, 2005
  4. Drew Boillot

    NNBXX Guest

    No, unfortunately, you have to perform a clean install after formatting your
    HDD. No upgrading process possible with x64 (so keeping your settings is
    impossible).

    Regards,

    Jean-Baptiste

    NNBXX, Jun 17, 2005
  5. You "can" do an inplace upgrade from the trial to full version.

    From Joseph Conway:
    Ok, in the x64 worlds we have two words that have become commonplace in the
    x86 world that just dont work any more. They are UNINSTALL and UPGRADE.
    First, the only installation of x64 is a clean installation. This means,
    formatted drive, new partition, and only it (x64) can live there. It can be
    reinstalled over the top of itself (commonly called a repair installation or
    inplace upgrade) but it cannot upgrade any x86 versions of the software.
    Maybe you will see an upgrade path to Longhorn but thats a long way off and
    I am not privy to that information.

    If you cant upgrade, then guess what? You also cannot uninstall the OS.
    The only supported method for getting the OS off of a machine after you have
    installed it is to format that partition or drive and remove the associated
    entries in the boot.ini file.

    There are many technical reasons why the above happens, namely the fact that
    the winnt32.exe is now as 64bit executable and it cant be run by a 32bit OS.

    You can always have a dual boot configuration on your system, just make sure
    that you install 32bit Windows first and x64 second (or last if more than 2
    OS's).
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 17, 2005
  6. Drew Boillot

    NNBXX Guest

    You're right, Dré.

    I meant upgrading from the 32 bit version is impossible. I just forgot that
    Drew talked about the trial version.

    Regards,

    JB

    de news:...

    NNBXX, Jun 17, 2005
  7. No problemo :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 17, 2005
  8. Then why does my oder confirmation letter with my trial Product Key state
    that it is a 180 day evaluation??

    =?Utf-8?B?SW50ZWxfRmFu?=, Jun 17, 2005
  9. Drew Boillot

    NNBXX Guest

    This is an error. Both the EULA and winver (run...) state a 120 day trial.

    Regards,

    Jean-Baptiste

    NNBXX, Jun 17, 2005
  10. Drew Boillot

    John Barnes Guest

    No es problema, senor Andre :)

    John Barnes, Jun 17, 2005
  11. I was terrible at Spanish and French in school.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 17, 2005
  12. It possibly has something to do with the Server 2003 Trial being 180 days,
    and since both XP Pro x64 and Server 2003 x64 are based on Server 2003 SP1,
    it mistakenly appears so in the client EULA.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 17, 2005
  13. Drew Boillot

    NNBXX Guest

    LOL ;)

    NNBXX, Jun 17, 2005
  14. Don't we have the option at the end of the 120 day trial to pay a fee to
    upgrade to the full version?

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJlZCBR?=, Jul 1, 2005
  15. Drew Boillot

    MHPNW STAFF Guest

    We will probably all have to , because the way it look's , we will never see
    the exchange program disk's.....LOL

    MHPNW STAFF, Jul 1, 2005
  16. Yes, but I don't recommend you go through the TAP program, just purchase it
    from either one of the following retail or online store:
    NCIX.com, newegg.com or directron.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 1, 2005