Win XP wireless network adapter gets released and then connects ba

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?cGkyMmJ5Nw==?=, Dec 19, 2004.

  1. Hi

    I am using a win XP machine in an adhoc mode with static ip configured on
    the wireless network (Adapter is Netgear W3g11t). I have a win CE machine
    also on ad hoc mode configured with a static ip. My XP m/c is configured as a
    server and CE a client. The client accesses the server every second.

    I have disabled WZC utility and am using the netgear utility to configure
    the wireless network.

    After 3-4 hours of normal operation, I get an event information in my
    eventviewer sayting the system has released the network adapter. Event ID
    4202.. After 20 seconds of this operation , the system reconnects back.

    During this 20 second gap, my client will fail to access the server and
    results in an error.

    I want to know why the system breaks this connection for 20 seconds. If you
    look into the event viewer (system) you will also probably see an error with
    4201 and 4202.

    I have tried the following things

    1. DisableMedia Sense

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q239924

    Although it shuts off the events from appearing in the event viewer, the
    system still disconnects after 3-4 hrs ofoperation

    2. I have changed the automatic metric to 30.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299540

    Nothing has worked so far. How can we prevent windows from automatically
    releasing the adapter configuration ?

    Pleas share if you had similar problems or if you have some suggestions

    Thank you

    pi
    =?Utf-8?B?cGkyMmJ5Nw==?=, Dec 19, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cGkyMmJ5Nw==?=

    npinnell

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    Messages:
    4
    This is a rather old thread, but it did float to the top when I searched for continuous 4201 / 4202 events that have been plaguing me, so this seems the right place to post what worked for me...

    Undet the properties dialog for Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (Advanced tab) I changed the follwing Properties...

    Power Managemet: Highest
    Roaming Agressiveness: Lowest
    npinnell, Aug 1, 2008