    Any advice much appreciated.
    John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

    , Mar 31, 2007

  2. why? Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 15:50:13 +0200, wrote:

    Is it today or just another of those ongoing vague question days?

    >My WIN XP up dater has downloaded many [ 30+] files, which were, I
    >assume, applied to Windows as updates - Security, etc.
    >My Un installer program shows that most of these files, that were
    >applied, are still present on my HD and using Mbytes of storage.
    >
    >Since the updates have been applied, do I need to retain these files?
    >
    >If I remove/delete the files, will the updates be 'uninstalled' from
    >Win XP??

    You would (just guessing here) be asking about all of the entries like,

    %windir%\$NtUninstallKB873339$

    >Any advice much appreciated.
    >John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

    If you don't plan to uninstall any of the updates there is a good change
    you won't need them again.

    Try reading past posts in,
    or several of the MS XP newsgroups, the general XP newsgroups or even XP
    support sites, forums, many already mentioned in 24HSHD before.

    www.google.com
    1st 5 hits

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 1,300,000 for delete windows uninstall
    folders. (0.32 seconds)

    $NTUninstall folders - Description
    In the Windows Directory of your C partition you will have some
    Uninstall folders in your Windows folder typically:
    $NtServicePackUninstall$ and ...
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Hotfix_backup.htm - 15k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    HOW TO: Remove the Service Pack Restore Files and Folders in Windows
    Delete the Service Pack Uninstall Folder ... If you delete the
    ServicePackFiles folder, the Windows File Protection system is unable to
    work if a Service ...
    support.microsoft.com/kb/290402 - Similar pages

    How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
    Important If you install Windows XP SP2 on a computer that is already
    running Windows XP SP2, you will create a new uninstall folder on your
    hard disk drive ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/875350 - Similar pages
    [ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

    Service Pack Uninstall Uninstall
    You can now see the $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder in the Windows (or
    WINNT) folder. Delete the folder. You will receive a warning that you're
    about to ...
    http://winhlp.com/WxServicePackUninstallUninstall.htm - 6k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    Remove Patch Uninstall Folders To Clean Hard Drive
    Hard drives are cheap and people typically have more space than they
    know what to do with these days. But, that is no reason to just waste
    it.
    www.windowsnetworking.com/.../UserT...ovePatchUninstallFoldersToCleanHardDrive.html
    - 21k - Cached - Similar pages

    Me