    What do I do to stop this process and clear the updates.?

    John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

    , Aug 2, 2007

  2. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > One of the several files downloaded was MS Windows installer 3.1.
    > I don't have this on my PC [ I never installed it AFAIK ]. So I
    > declined to install the update.
    >
    > But, the process won't leave it alone and insists on telling me that
    > the update is there. I can't cancel the update from the list, the
    > option box is greyed out. I can't close the 'shield' symbol in the
    > bottom right of the screen, and I get alert notices from time to time.

    Let MS install that one J.
    It`s the `engine` that does windows updating.

    bw..

    meerkat, Aug 2, 2007

  3. Ponder Guest

    Hiya .

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > What do I do to stop this process and clear the updates.?

    Windows Updates can't update anything unless it itself is up to date,
    which you're declining.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Aug 2, 2007
  4. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > One of the several files downloaded was MS Windows installer 3.1.
    > I don't have this on my PC [ I never installed it AFAIK ]. So I
    > declined to install the update.
    >
    > But, the process won't leave it alone and insists on telling me that
    > the update is there. I can't cancel the update from the list, the
    > option box is greyed out. I can't close the 'shield' symbol in the
    > bottom right of the screen, and I get alert notices from time to time.
    >
    > What do I do to stop this process and clear the updates.?
    >
    > John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

    John

    As others have pointed out Installer 3.1 is the latest version of the core
    engine Windows update service.

    Once you have installed it be prepared for a whole lot more updates to come
    automatically.

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 2, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:57:41 +0200, wrote:
    >John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

    Ah, now i understand. I just assumed that it was a ref. to Win 3.1 and
    the option to run 16 bit progs. under XP

    Thank you.
    John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

    , Aug 3, 2007
  6. Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 17:47:38 +0200, wrote:

    >On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:57:41 +0200, wrote:
    >>John Hewitt, Malaga, Spain

    >Ah, now i understand. I just assumed that it was a ref. to Win 3.1 and
    >the option to run 16 bit progs. under XP

    Now you understand what? Who are you talking to?

    Evan Platt, Aug 3, 2007
  7. sittingduck Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > Now you understand what? Who are you talking to?

    The reference header shows the information you desperately seek.

    sittingduck, Aug 3, 2007
  8. Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 09:35:08 -0700, sittingduck
    <> wrote:

    >The reference header shows the information you desperately seek.

    Umm.. So what you're saying is jhewitt asked a question, then REPLIED
    TO HIMSELF and said "thanks for the information?"

    Oh, ok. Now I understand.

    Evan Platt, Aug 3, 2007
  9. sittingduck Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    > Umm.. So what you're saying is jhewitt asked a question, then REPLIED
    > TO HIMSELF and said "thanks for the information?"

    See? Not so tough to understand, after all.

    sittingduck, Aug 3, 2007