Win XP SP2

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Mr. Mxyzptlk, Oct 13, 2004.

  1. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Mr. Mxyzptlk Guest

    What's the story on WinXP SP2 these days? Is it ok to install yet?

    I was going to bite the bullet and install it yesterday, but it told me
    to back up my "system" first, so I canceled out. What exactly
    constitutes my "system"? It's a 120-gig hard drive. What am I supposed
    to do?

    Is there some folder I can just copy temporarily into another computer?
    I have four PCs networked. Or is their warning to back up my "system"
    just some Microsuck PMA?

    Most of the Google hits on this are from Microsuck itself, and as far as
    they're concerned everything is just fine and getting better. But
    there's an awful scary story at

    http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml?articleId=23905071

    I don't need them kinds of problems. On the other hand, this GDIPlus
    bug has me scared to death to even open an email these days.

    -confused in Arid-zona

    Mr. Mxyzptlk, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Thor Guest

    You don't *have* to install SP2 to get the latest security updates. You can
    download the individual critical patches, and still be up-to-date
    security-wise. So, you really should ask yourself, whether you really want
    the new features in SP2 (Windows Firewall, Security Center, etc.). That
    aside, if you want to install SP2, take a few precautions first.

    Do a very thorough spyware scan on your computer. Try Adaware, and Spybot.
    Use both, rather than rely on just one. Clean up your windows temp folder,
    (usually in C:\documents and settings\username\local settings\temp, and make
    sure you have hidden files visible) and disable as many background apps as
    possible using MSconfig, then reboot. You don't want a million potentially
    conflicting things running in the background when this big fat puppy
    installs.

    Read (and in some cases you should really print) the following MSKB articles
    before installing SP2. If you have a problem, they may bail you out. Good to
    have them handy in case of disaster (unbootable computer).

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=WindowsXPsp2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875350
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;885626
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875355 This one
    print!!

    SP2 features info. Check this over and decide if you want SP2.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/plan/xpsp2ff.mspx

    Thor, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Don't mention SP2 to thor, they've had words and wants a divorce.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Oct 13, 2004
  4. "Lloyd Jones" <> wrote in message
    > Don't mention SP2 to thor, they've had words and wants a divorce.
    >
    > LJ

    Do you ever contribute anything to this group?
    Thor has for years, when you've earned the respect he has, then you will
    have the right to comment.

    The Ancient One, Oct 14, 2004
  5. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    He's a big head.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Oct 14, 2004
  6. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    And I have to the "right" to say whatever I want.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Oct 14, 2004
  7. "Lloyd Jones" <> wrote in message
    > And I have to the "right" to say whatever I want.
    >
    > LJ

    And I have the right to point out when you're wrong, which is almost
    everytime you post.

    The Ancient One, Oct 14, 2004
  8. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    And I have the right to point out when you have your tongue stick up thors
    ass.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Oct 14, 2004
  9. "Lloyd Jones" <> wrote in message
    > And I have the right to point out when you have your tongue stick up thors
    > ass.
    >
    > LJ

    And you, as usual, have nothing intelligent to say. You are a troll.

    The Ancient One, Oct 15, 2004
  10. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Oct 15, 2004
  11. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I'm going to wash my hand with you and this thread.

    The bottom line is SP2 is fine to install and has been for months.

    Also you should would your face pal because ur nose must be pretty brown by
    now.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Oct 15, 2004
  12. "Lloyd Jones" <> wrote in message
    > I'm going to wash my hand with you and this thread.
    >
    > The bottom line is SP2 is fine to install and has been for months.
    >
    > Also you should would your face pal because ur nose must be pretty brown

    by
    > now.
    >
    > LJ

    Fine for many, but not all.

    Douglas A. Shrader, Oct 15, 2004
  13. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    That's true Douglas but the majority of people hasn't had any problems.
    Depends on how old your system and software is you use.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Oct 15, 2004
  14. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Plato Guest

    Lloyd Jones wrote:

    > That's true Douglas but the majority of people hasn't had any problems.
    > Depends on how old your system and software is you use.

    Most bad upgrades are due to folks running 39 backgound apps and 300
    spyware files :)

    Plato, Oct 15, 2004
  15. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    bert Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:16:43 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >You don't *have* to install SP2 to get the latest security updates. You can
    >download the individual critical patches, and still be up-to-date
    >security-wise. So, you really should ask yourself, whether you really want

    [snip]

    >"Mr. Mxyzptlk" <> wrote in message
    >> What's the story on WinXP SP2 these days? Is it ok to install yet?
    >>
    >> I was going to bite the bullet and install it yesterday, but it told me
    >> to back up my "system" first, so I canceled out. What exactly
    >> constitutes my "system"? It's a 120-gig hard drive. What am I supposed
    >> to do?
    >>
    >> Is there some folder I can just copy temporarily into another computer?
    >> I have four PCs networked. Or is their warning to back up my "system"
    >> just some Microsuck PMA?

    [snip again]

    All good advice Thor; but none answered the original question. What do they mean by
    backing up your system. Now, for me the fact the question was asked is kinda scary
    as it makes one wonder what he backs up any other time.

    When I installed SP2 (without problems) I ran my normal backup of data that cannot
    be reproduced and then imaged the disk. Minimally, one would think he should back up
    his data. If he wants to go further and back up his system settings it just makes it
    easier to get back to where he was if things fall apart.

    As for what you want; sure you can grab the updates individually if one has the time
    for that. As I remember the catalog site makes you download them one at a time.
    Since you can turn the firewall and security center and auto updates back off if you
    don't want them; what the hell.

    If you use IE, then you will have to put up with that stupid security bar or
    whatever they call it when you go to download or go to a site where you may want the
    active content.

    The only biting the bullet with SP2 is that like any large OS update/change there's
    a chance that something will go wrong and you'll have to start anew. But overall I
    have it on a 5 PC SOHO and haven't had problems.

    Just lucky???

    bert

    bert, Oct 16, 2004
  16. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Thor Guest

    "bert" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:16:43 -0400, "Thor" <> wrote:
    >
    >>You don't *have* to install SP2 to get the latest security updates. You
    >>can
    >>download the individual critical patches, and still be up-to-date
    >>security-wise. So, you really should ask yourself, whether you really want

    > [snip]
    >>
    >>"Mr. Mxyzptlk" <> wrote in message
    >>> What's the story on WinXP SP2 these days? Is it ok to install yet?
    >>>
    >>> I was going to bite the bullet and install it yesterday, but it told me
    >>> to back up my "system" first, so I canceled out. What exactly
    >>> constitutes my "system"? It's a 120-gig hard drive. What am I supposed
    >>> to do?
    >>>
    >>> Is there some folder I can just copy temporarily into another computer?
    >>> I have four PCs networked. Or is their warning to back up my "system"
    >>> just some Microsuck PMA?

    > [snip again]
    >
    > All good advice Thor; but none answered the original question. What do
    > they mean by
    > backing up your system. Now, for me the fact the question was asked is
    > kinda scary
    > as it makes one wonder what he backs up any other time.

    backing up your "system" means backing up the entire harddrive, either
    through a harddrive imaging program, or a more traditional backup program
    using tape backup, multiple CDs or DVDs, or to a second harddrive. It's just
    a recommendation in case of disaster. However, there are usually many levels
    of recovery from a major problem, and restoring a backup is usually not
    necessary. Backing up crucial data only may be more than acceptable for many
    folks, it just depends on how much effort you want to expend to get the
    computer up and operational in the event of a problem. The recommendation to
    back up your system prior to updating is pretty much standard boilerplate
    advice given by microsoft, but not always necessary depending on the
    computer, user, etc.

    > When I installed SP2 (without problems) I ran my normal backup of data
    > that cannot
    > be reproduced and then imaged the disk. Minimally, one would think he
    > should back up
    > his data. If he wants to go further and back up his system settings it
    > just makes it
    > easier to get back to where he was if things fall apart.
    >
    > As for what you want; sure you can grab the updates individually if one
    > has the time
    > for that. As I remember the catalog site makes you download them one at a
    > time.
    > Since you can turn the firewall and security center and auto updates back
    > off if you
    > don't want them; what the hell.

    I didn't say one way or the other what method *should* be used. I merely
    stated that getting SP2 isn't necessary to have your computer fully up to
    date as far as critical patches go. It's up to the individual. I'm merely
    helping them to make a more informed decision.

    > If you use IE, then you will have to put up with that stupid security bar
    > or
    > whatever they call it when you go to download or go to a site where you
    > may want the
    > active content.

    most of those can be disabled via menus and security options in IE.

    > The only biting the bullet with SP2 is that like any large OS
    > update/change there's
    > a chance that something will go wrong and you'll have to start anew. But
    > overall I
    > have it on a 5 PC SOHO and haven't had problems.
    >
    > Just lucky???

    I'm sure it's indicative of the majority experience, but people should be
    aware of potential problems before taking the plunge. Some individuals here
    have expressed a very flip attitude towards installing such large and
    comprehensive updates, essentially dispensing upgrade advice on the "it
    worked for me, it will work for you" theory, and failing to realize that an
    update of this size and complexity should not be approached that way,
    particularly when Microsoft has already published an extensive list of
    programs known to have problems with this update, and quite a few KB
    articles dealing with SP2 troubles. SP1 didn't have nearly the potential for
    disaster that SP2 does, merely because the changes wrought by SP1 are
    miniscule in comparison. SP2 changes things on many levels, and has far more
    impact on installed applications, and the update process can be derailed by
    problems on the user's PC in such a way that may render the PC temporarily
    unusable. People should go into this update with eyes open, not with a belly
    full of Lloyd Jones' unbridled optimism based on the 1 or 2 computers he has
    successfully updated. People should be armed with as much information as
    possible to avoid trouble, and that includes hearing the potentially bad
    things about it as well as the good. That's why I posted the numerous links
    with info on how to recover from a failed update, and some advice on
    preparation.

    Thor, Oct 16, 2004
  17. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > articles dealing with SP2 troubles. SP1 didn't have nearly the potential for
    > disaster that SP2 does, merely because the changes wrought by SP1 are

    SP1 was a patch. SP2 is really a major OS upgrade.

    Plato, Oct 16, 2004
  18. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Mr. Mxyzptlk Guest

    Thanks, Thor. I thought you had to install SP2 to patch the GDIPlus
    bug. You set me straight and I have downloaded and installed the
    critical patches without SP2. Maybe I'll install SP2 some day when I
    have more time. I'm too busy now to argue with an unbootable computer,
    should things not go well.

    Thanks much.

    Mr. Mxyzptlk, Oct 17, 2004
  19. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Mr. Mxyzptlk Guest

    When hard drives were just a few hundred MB, I backed them up
    religiously on tape. I even had a floppy with the restore software that
    I could boot to and save the day. But I just don't know what to do with
    120-GB hard drives.

    Most of my data files (graphics, mostly) are duplicated on other PCs,
    and on an external hard drive. But that doesn't restore a crashed OS.
    Clearly I need to do some research on the backup and restore business,
    before disaster strikes me down.

    Mr. Mxyzptlk, Oct 17, 2004
  20. Mr. Mxyzptlk

    Mr. Mxyzptlk Guest

    Thanks, Plato. I've seen the bootdisk site before. In fact I think I
    have it bookmarked somewhere. There's more info there than I can digest
    at a sitting. But clearly I need to make time for it.

    Mr. Mxyzptlk, Oct 17, 2004