Win XP SP2 Installation Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by xdocx, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. xdocx

    xdocx Guest

    I recently installed the Win XP SP2 Update and now my PC will not boot
    into Windows. I apologize if this problem has been posted and
    addressed here before, but I reviewed many days of past postings and
    couldn't find anything related. When trying to run System Restore in
    Safe Mode it reports no hard drive found. I suspect that SP2 has
    somehow caused a conflict, possibly involving my dual hard drive
    serial ATA 0 RAID configuration. My PC came with only a manufacturer's
    Recovery CD and I obviously prefer not to do a complete reinstall to
    the original specs and lose all my data.

    I have kept current with all previous MS updates, regularly run
    updated Norton AV, am behind a router firewall, and before the update
    installation I routinely did my usual pc maintenance routine, which
    includes a complete virus scan, Norton Utilities diagnostic scan for
    problems, Ad-Aware scan, SpyBot S&D scan, HD Valet scan, WindowWasher
    cleanup, and defragged the drives. There were no problems and
    everything was fine and fast.

    I am running Win XP Home on an AMD 64 3200+, with 1GB of Corsair
    PC3200 DDR Ram, a Gigabyte K8 Triton GA-K8N Pro mobo, with dual Maxtor
    120GB serial ATA hard drives in a 0 RAID configuration system that is
    less than six months old.

    Any suggestions for a fix, sources of possible fixes, etc. would be
    very appreciated. TIA

    xdocx, Oct 5, 2004

  2. xdocx

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:07:45 -0400, xdocx wrote:

    >I recently installed the Win XP SP2 Update and now my PC will not boot
    >into Windows. I apologize if this problem has been posted and
    >addressed here before, but I reviewed many days of past postings and
    >couldn't find anything related. When trying to run System Restore in

    Some suggestions,

    When the PC boots, are the drives and valid RAID configuration still
    seen by the SATA BIOS / RAID controller during the POST screens. The OS
    doesn't matter at this point it hasn't started yet.

    If not it may be a big problem.

    >Safe Mode it reports no hard drive found. I suspect that SP2 has
    >somehow caused a conflict, possibly involving my dual hard drive

    Sort of like overwriting a driver file.

    >serial ATA 0 RAID configuration. My PC came with only a manufacturer's

    Why I always still boot the OS from IDE it doesn't need anything extra
    to work.

    >Recovery CD and I obviously prefer not to do a complete reinstall to
    >the original specs and lose all my data.

    <snip>

    >I am running Win XP Home on an AMD 64 3200+, with 1GB of Corsair
    >PC3200 DDR Ram, a Gigabyte K8 Triton GA-K8N Pro mobo, with dual Maxtor
    >120GB serial ATA hard drives in a 0 RAID configuration system that is
    >less than six months old.
    >
    >Any suggestions for a fix, sources of possible fixes, etc. would be
    >very appreciated. TIA

    Put in an IDE drive to boot from, install OS, install SATA/RAID drivers
    to access other disks.

    However note in a RAID 0 setup if one drive has failed it's all gone.
    RAID 0 does file writes to alternative disks.
    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/why.htm

    Me

    why?, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Ultimately you can uninstall sp2
    start/control panel/settings and remove sp2

    ND

    Norbert Dentressangle, Oct 5, 2004
  4. xdocx

    xdocx Guest

    In article <>,
    fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz says...

    > On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:07:45 -0400, xdocx wrote:
    >
    > >I recently installed the Win XP SP2 Update and now my PC will not boot
    > >into Windows. I apologize if this problem has been posted and
    > >addressed here before, but I reviewed many days of past postings and
    > >couldn't find anything related. When trying to run System Restore in

    > Some suggestions,
    >
    > When the PC boots, are the drives and valid RAID configuration still
    > seen by the SATA BIOS / RAID controller during the POST screens. The OS
    > doesn't matter at this point it hasn't started yet.
    >

    > If not it may be a big problem.
    >
    > >Safe Mode it reports no hard drive found. I suspect that SP2 has
    > >somehow caused a conflict, possibly involving my dual hard drive

    > Sort of like overwriting a driver file.
    >
    > >serial ATA 0 RAID configuration. My PC came with only a manufacturer's

    > Why I always still boot the OS from IDE it doesn't need anything extra
    > to work.
    >
    > >Recovery CD and I obviously prefer not to do a complete reinstall to
    > >the original specs and lose all my data.
    > >

    > <snip>
    > >
    > >I am running Win XP Home on an AMD 64 3200+, with 1GB of Corsair
    > >PC3200 DDR Ram, a Gigabyte K8 Triton GA-K8N Pro mobo, with dual Maxtor
    > >120GB serial ATA hard drives in a 0 RAID configuration system that is
    > >less than six months old.
    > >
    > >Any suggestions for a fix, sources of possible fixes, etc. would be
    > >very appreciated. TIA

    > Put in an IDE drive to boot from, install OS, install SATA/RAID drivers
    > to access other disks.
    >
    > However note in a RAID 0 setup if one drive has failed it's all gone.
    > RAID 0 does file writes to alternative disks.
    > http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/why.htm
    >

    > Me

    Yes, the drives and the SATA BIOS / RAID controller are recognized in
    the POST screens. Everything seems to be normal until the Windows
    startup should begin and then I get the Windows failed to start error
    screen. Neither the "use the last good startup configuration" or "start
    windows normally" options work and the pc reboots to the BIOS start
    screen regardless of which choice is made.

    I like your IDE boot drive suggestion, but I need to get Windows back up
    and retrieve all of my non-backed-up data first.

    xdocx, Oct 5, 2004
  5. xdocx

    lugnut Guest

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 23:06:42 +0100, "Norbert Dentressangle"
    <> wrote:

    >Ultimately you can uninstall sp2
    >start/control panel/settings and remove sp2
    >
    >ND

    Not if it won't let you in. It does not go past the start
    to give you that option.

    lugnut, Oct 6, 2004
  6. xdocx

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:22:38 -0400, xdocx wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz says...
    >>
    >> On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 16:07:45 -0400, xdocx wrote:
    >>
    >> >I recently installed the Win XP SP2 Update and now my PC will not boot
    >> >into Windows. I apologize if this problem has been posted and
    >> >addressed here before, but I reviewed many days of past postings and
    >> >couldn't find anything related. When trying to run System Restore in

    >> Some suggestions,
    >>
    >> When the PC boots, are the drives and valid RAID configuration still
    >> seen by the SATA BIOS / RAID controller during the POST screens. The OS
    >> doesn't matter at this point it hasn't started yet.
    >>

    >> If not it may be a big problem.
    >>
    >> >Safe Mode it reports no hard drive found. I suspect that SP2 has
    >> >somehow caused a conflict, possibly involving my dual hard drive

    >> Sort of like overwriting a driver file.
    >>
    >> >serial ATA 0 RAID configuration. My PC came with only a manufacturer's

    >> Why I always still boot the OS from IDE it doesn't need anything extra
    >> to work.
    >>
    >> >Recovery CD and I obviously prefer not to do a complete reinstall to
    >> >the original specs and lose all my data.
    >> >

    >> <snip>
    >> >
    >> >I am running Win XP Home on an AMD 64 3200+, with 1GB of Corsair
    >> >PC3200 DDR Ram, a Gigabyte K8 Triton GA-K8N Pro mobo, with dual Maxtor
    >> >120GB serial ATA hard drives in a 0 RAID configuration system that is
    >> >less than six months old.
    >> >
    >> >Any suggestions for a fix, sources of possible fixes, etc. would be
    >> >very appreciated. TIA

    >> Put in an IDE drive to boot from, install OS, install SATA/RAID drivers
    >> to access other disks.
    >>
    >> However note in a RAID 0 setup if one drive has failed it's all gone.
    >> RAID 0 does file writes to alternative disks.
    >> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/why.htm
    >>

    >> Me
    >>

    >Yes, the drives and the SATA BIOS / RAID controller are recognized in
    >the POST screens. Everything seems to be normal until the Windows
    >startup should begin and then I get the Windows failed to start error
    >screen. Neither the "use the last good startup configuration" or "start
    >windows normally" options work and the pc reboots to the BIOS start
    >screen regardless of which choice is made.
    >
    >I like your IDE boot drive suggestion, but I need to get Windows back up
    >and retrieve all of my non-backed-up data first.

    That doesn't seem to be an option as the Windows install is dead, the
    data may well be okay.

    Using the IDE drive you install Windows on it, then use it to access the
    other disks to recover data. Works on NT4/2000 everytime.

    What you may wish to try is go with the IDE boot / Windows get that
    going. Install a data recovery tool called GetDataBack for NTFS then use
    that to read from the SATA to IDE (make sure the IDE is big enough
    120GB+Windows install+spare or use 2 IDE drives) . But don't write to
    the SATA disks.

    www.runtime.org

    You can d/l it as a read only demo to see what's recoverable, I had 3 x
    10GB (RAID) partitions vanish on a Win2000 box after a reboot. The RAID
    info was okay, it was the Windows volume info that went awol.

    GDB in r/o mode let me see everything was recoverable. Without quitting
    the app I purchased a key , entered it and did a recover of all 30GB.

    This worked because I have multiple drives and partitions and could
    install GDB without writing to the disk with the problem.

    Me

    why?, Oct 6, 2004
  7. xdocx

    xdocx Guest

    Exactly. It won't let me into Windows because it doesn't locate and
    recognize the drives, even in safe mode.

    xdocx, Oct 6, 2004
  8. xdocx

    xdocx Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:26:33 GMT, why?

    >On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:22:38 -0400, xdocx wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>,
    >>fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz says...

    >>> Some suggestions,
    >>>
    >>> When the PC boots, are the drives and valid RAID configuration still
    >>> seen by the SATA BIOS / RAID controller during the POST screens. The OS
    >>> doesn't matter at this point it hasn't started yet.
    >>>

    >>> If not it may be a big problem.

    >>> Sort of like overwriting a driver file.

    >>> Why I always still boot the OS from IDE it doesn't need anything extra
    >>> to work.

    >>> <snip>

    >>> Put in an IDE drive to boot from, install OS, install SATA/RAID drivers
    >>> to access other disks.
    >>>
    >>> However note in a RAID 0 setup if one drive has failed it's all gone.
    >>> RAID 0 does file writes to alternative disks.
    >>> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/why.htm
    >>>

    >>> Me
    >>>

    >>Yes, the drives and the SATA BIOS / RAID controller are recognized in
    >>the POST screens. Everything seems to be normal until the Windows
    >>startup should begin and then I get the Windows failed to start error
    >>screen. Neither the "use the last good startup configuration" or "start
    >>windows normally" options work and the pc reboots to the BIOS start
    >>screen regardless of which choice is made.
    >>
    >>I like your IDE boot drive suggestion, but I need to get Windows back up
    >>and retrieve all of my non-backed-up data first.

    >That doesn't seem to be an option as the Windows install is dead, the
    >data may well be okay.
    >
    >Using the IDE drive you install Windows on it, then use it to access the
    >other disks to recover data. Works on NT4/2000 everytime.
    >
    >What you may wish to try is go with the IDE boot / Windows get that
    >going. Install a data recovery tool called GetDataBack for NTFS then use
    >that to read from the SATA to IDE (make sure the IDE is big enough
    >120GB+Windows install+spare or use 2 IDE drives) . But don't write to
    >the SATA disks.
    >
    >www.runtime.org
    >
    >You can d/l it as a read only demo to see what's recoverable, I had 3 x
    >10GB (RAID) partitions vanish on a Win2000 box after a reboot. The RAID
    >info was okay, it was the Windows volume info that went awol.
    >
    >GDB in r/o mode let me see everything was recoverable. Without quitting
    >the app I purchased a key , entered it and did a recover of all 30GB.
    >
    >This worked because I have multiple drives and partitions and could
    >install GDB without writing to the disk with the problem.
    >
    >Me

    I don't believe either of the SATA drives have failed. I believe
    everything is still on them, just not accessible.

    So you suggest adding a new IDE drive, installing WinXP on it and
    making it the boot drive, then using the recommended software to
    retrieve all the data from the two SATA drives onto the new IDE drive?
    Then what, reformat the two SATA drives, do a new WinXP install and
    transfer all the data back from the IDE to the SATAs? I much prefer to
    ultimately have the SATAs in Raid 0 due to the very fast read/write
    speed.

    xdocx, Oct 6, 2004
  9. xdocx

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:17:54 -0400, xdocx wrote:

    >On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 00:26:33 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:22:38 -0400, xdocx wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>,
    >>>fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz says...

    <snip>

    >>>Yes, the drives and the SATA BIOS / RAID controller are recognized in
    >>>the POST screens. Everything seems to be normal until the Windows
    >>>startup should begin and then I get the Windows failed to start error
    >>>screen. Neither the "use the last good startup configuration" or "start
    >>>windows normally" options work and the pc reboots to the BIOS start
    >>>screen regardless of which choice is made.

    <snip>

    >>What you may wish to try is go with the IDE boot / Windows get that
    >>going. Install a data recovery tool called GetDataBack for NTFS then use
    >>that to read from the SATA to IDE (make sure the IDE is big enough
    >>120GB+Windows install+spare or use 2 IDE drives) . But don't write to
    >>the SATA disks.
    >>
    >>www.runtime.org

    <snip>

    >I don't believe either of the SATA drives have failed. I believe
    >everything is still on them, just not accessible.
    >
    >So you suggest adding a new IDE drive, installing WinXP on it and
    >making it the boot drive, then using the recommended software to
    >retrieve all the data from the two SATA drives onto the new IDE drive?

    Yes.

    >Then what, reformat the two SATA drives, do a new WinXP install and
    >transfer all the data back from the IDE to the SATAs? I much prefer to
    >ultimately have the SATAs in Raid 0 due to the very fast read/write

    The speed isn't an issue when RAID 0 has no redundancy (leaving aside
    the issue of a Windows problem).

    >speed.

    Yes.

    Me

    why?, Oct 6, 2004
  10. xdocx

    lugnut Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:09:22 -0400, xdocx <>
    wrote:

    >Exactly. It won't let me into Windows because it doesn't locate and
    >recognize the drives, even in safe mode.

    I have two machines in this condition right now. A fresh
    install of a low level format restored drive did not correct
    the problem. I have managed to crank down the CPU clock in
    the BIOS enough to see that there is a flash of a BSOD as
    the machine stops and reboots. I have not found a way to
    stop the machine at the BSOD long enough to see what it is
    complaining about. I have d/l'd microsoft knowledge base
    article 307545 which appears to address the problem but,
    have not had time to go thru the routine to see if it
    corrects the problem. As far as any recommendation to do
    anything thru my computer or any other windows control
    panel, they have been useless since you can't get at them.

    I have also pulled the drives and installed in working
    machines as slave drives. That told me the data and all the
    files are intact and readable with no problems. The problem
    is a windows XP start problem. I suspect it is complaining
    about some hardware driver. To address this issue, I have
    stripped the machine(s) to the bare essentials and done both
    clean install and repair installs. I have had the luxury of
    being able to repetitively replicate a working system trying
    to work out this bug.

    BTW, the problem machines here are AMD's on Abit RAID
    boards with VIA chip sets. I have a couple of ASUS boards
    with the same VIA RAID chip sets that have not exhibited
    this behavior. The problem machines have previously run
    Windows XP and XP SP1 with no problems.

    If anyone has a way to stop it at the BSOD to see what it's
    complaint may be, the info would be greatly appreciated.

    lugnut, Oct 6, 2004
  11. xdocx

    Gil Guest

    "xdocx" <> wrote in message
    > I recently installed the Win XP SP2 Update and now my PC will not boot
    > into Windows.
    >
    > Any suggestions for a fix, sources of possible fixes, etc. would be
    > very appreciated. TIA

    I just had the same problem after installing SP2. My recovery is on a
    protected partition on my hard drive.
    It would start to boot and then i would get the error notification.
    I found that if i hit F10 when it started to boot it went to the recovery
    partition and i was able to fix the problem.
    I wasn't sure if you meant your recovery was the same but if it is
    this might help. Good luck...Gil

    Gil, Oct 7, 2004
  12. xdocx

    xdocx Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:21:00 GMT, "Gil" <> wrote:

    >"xdocx" <> wrote in message
    >> I recently installed the Win XP SP2 Update and now my PC will not boot
    >> into Windows.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions for a fix, sources of possible fixes, etc. would be
    >> very appreciated. TIA

    >I just had the same problem after installing SP2. My recovery is on a
    >protected partition on my hard drive.
    >It would start to boot and then i would get the error notification.
    >I found that if i hit F10 when it started to boot it went to the recovery
    >partition and i was able to fix the problem.
    >I wasn't sure if you meant your recovery was the same but if it is
    >this might help. Good luck...Gil

    I have a manufacturer-supplied System Restore CD that, I believe, does
    a reformat and then restores all the original factory settings, but at
    the cost of losing all my data. I also believe that the same factory
    settings were also placed on the hard drive(s) at the time of the
    factory installation set-up, but both hard drives are serial SATA in
    RAID 0, i.e., both hard drives read as C: without further partitions.
    I'll try the F10 at bootup and see what happens, but I don't believe
    it will work. Thanks

    xdocx, Oct 7, 2004
  13. xdocx

    xdocx Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 07:56:53 -0400, lugnut <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:09:22 -0400, xdocx <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Exactly. It won't let me into Windows because it doesn't locate and
    >>recognize the drives, even in safe mode.

    >I have two machines in this condition right now. A fresh
    >install of a low level format restored drive did not correct
    >the problem. I have managed to crank down the CPU clock in
    >the BIOS enough to see that there is a flash of a BSOD as
    >the machine stops and reboots. I have not found a way to
    >stop the machine at the BSOD long enough to see what it is
    >complaining about. I have d/l'd microsoft knowledge base
    >article 307545 which appears to address the problem but,
    >have not had time to go thru the routine to see if it
    >corrects the problem. As far as any recommendation to do
    >anything thru my computer or any other windows control
    >panel, they have been useless since you can't get at them.
    >
    >I have also pulled the drives and installed in working
    >machines as slave drives. That told me the data and all the
    >files are intact and readable with no problems. The problem
    >is a windows XP start problem. I suspect it is complaining
    >about some hardware driver. To address this issue, I have
    >stripped the machine(s) to the bare essentials and done both
    >clean install and repair installs. I have had the luxury of
    >being able to repetitively replicate a working system trying
    >to work out this bug.
    >
    > BTW, the problem machines here are AMD's on Abit RAID
    >boards with VIA chip sets. I have a couple of ASUS boards
    >with the same VIA RAID chip sets that have not exhibited
    >this behavior. The problem machines have previously run
    >Windows XP and XP SP1 with no problems.
    >
    >If anyone has a way to stop it at the BSOD to see what it's
    >complaint may be, the info would be greatly appreciated.

    So would I. Any suggestions at all.

    xdocx, Oct 7, 2004