Win XP Sp1 CD ROM and DVD Rom Not Recognizing Newly inserted discs

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Hunter, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. Hunter

    Hunter Guest

    Windows XP will not recognize newly instered discs that I insert in my
    DVD and CD Rom. XP believes that any disc inserted is the same disc
    that was in the drive when the machine was last booted up.

    The only I can get my drives to recognize new discs is to eject the
    discs, then attempt to open the contents of the CDRW and DVD ROM in
    Windows Explorer, then insert a new disc.

    I tried to update the ASPI drivers and no luck.

    There has to be a way to have my CDRW and DVDROMs recognize new discs
    in the traditional way of reading new discs on insetion.

    My DVD Rom is a Pioneer DVD-116R
    and CDRW Rom is CRX160E

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks!

    Hunter, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Hunter

    Mike Richter Guest

    Re: Win XP Sp1 CD ROM and DVD Rom Not Recognizing Newly inserteddiscs

    Hunter wrote:

    > Windows XP will not recognize newly instered discs that I insert in
    > my DVD and CD Rom. XP believes that any disc inserted is the same
    > disc that was in the drive when the machine was last booted up.
    >
    > The only I can get my drives to recognize new discs is to eject the
    > discs, then attempt to open the contents of the CDRW and DVD ROM in
    > Windows Explorer, then insert a new disc.
    >
    > I tried to update the ASPI drivers and no luck.
    >
    > There has to be a way to have my CDRW and DVDROMs recognize new discs
    > in the traditional way of reading new discs on insetion.
    >
    > My DVD Rom is a Pioneer DVD-116R and CDRW Rom is CRX160E
    >

    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    I can't help solving this in XP directly, but it sounds as though you've
    managed to turn off Automatic Insert Notification - AIN. Once that's
    turned on again, you should find that update is automatic.

    Your assignment - whether you wish to take it or not <G> - is to find
    AIN on your system of for the particular drive involved and to turn it
    back on. (Relevant information for other NT systems is in the primer at
    my WWW site. It should help you get started, at least.)

    Mike
    --

    http://www.mrichter.com/

    Mike Richter, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Hunter

    smh Guest

    Mike Richter, were you born with
    "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
    --------------------------------------

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=
    (Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

    ( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
    ( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes! )

    Hunter wrote:

    > Windows XP will not recognize newly instered discs that I insert in my
    > DVD and CD Rom. XP believes that any disc inserted is the same disc
    > that was in the drive when the machine was last booted up.
    >
    > The only I can get my drives to recognize new discs is to eject the
    > discs, then attempt to open the contents of the CDRW and DVD ROM in
    > Windows Explorer, then insert a new disc.
    >
    > I tried to update the ASPI drivers and no luck.
    >
    > There has to be a way to have my CDRW and DVDROMs recognize new discs
    > in the traditional way of reading new discs on insetion.
    >
    > My DVD Rom is a Pioneer DVD-116R
    > and CDRW Rom is CRX160E

    Right-click the drive, Properties, AutoPlay tab, select Blank CD from
    the drop down menu. What's the default handler application?

    smh, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Hunter

    smh Guest

    Mike Richter (Lying Scum) wrote:

    > I can't help solving this in XP directly, but it sounds as though you've
    > managed to turn off Automatic Insert Notification - AIN. Once that's
    > turned on again, you should find that update is automatic.
    >
    > Your assignment - whether you wish to take it or not <G> - is to find
    > AIN on your system of for the particular drive involved and to turn it
    > back on. (Relevant information for other NT systems is in the primer at
    > my WWW site. It should help you get started, at least.)

    Save your friggin' breath, Mikey:

    From: Vasiliy Zaitsev
    Subject: Re: Autoplay does not work for blank cdr disks
    Date: 2/11/03

    Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) wrote:

    >2. The original post referred to Autoplay. My response was accurate,
    >though apparently in XP, the "application" to which I referred is the
    >recording applet built into the OS.

    No, its not the built in recording application...

    >3. Whether the capability is in the Autoplay box or not is Microsoft's
    >whim. Autoplay and Autorun are as I described them. You may wish to
    >reconsider your EMPHATIC SHOUT.

    Autoplay is as you described them on a non-windows XP system when the CD
    already contains data. I understand what autorun is...

    but I could tell that none of the people who replied understand
    what I'm talking about.

    >4. Finally, have you verified that AIN is on? Is it possible that the
    >window only appears when you have data pending to be written to a CD?
    >(Since I have not run XP, I have no way to know.)

    Yes, AIN is on.

    This functionality is only familiar to WindowsXP users.
    And no, it does not need data pending.

    Since you don't have XP, here's what its supposed to do:
    <snip>

    smh, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Hunter

    smh Guest

    Re: Win XP Sp1 CD ROM and DVD Rom Not Recognizing Newly inserteddiscs

    Mike Richter, were you born with
    "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
    --------------------------------------

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=
    (Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

    ( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
    ( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes! )

    Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) wrote:

    > I can't help solving this in XP directly, but ...
    > <crap snipped>

    Why are you speculating on WinXP when you don't use it, Mikey? Remember
    this weasel drivel of yours?

    [...not use...not know...not write...]

    Don't you remember that the above weasel drivel was your weasel excuse
    for not acknowledging the Ezcd 5 bug?

    Also, was Adrian Miller wrong about you, Mikey?
    =======================
    From: Adrian Miller
    Subject: Sam needs to apologise to Mike now.
    (was: Wife Beating Stopped, Mike Richter?)
    Date: 4/25/01

    Unlike certain people he does not like to speculate on matters
    that he does not have personal experience of.
    =======================

    Didn't Adrian Miller have reliable information then, Mikey?
    =====================
    From: Mike Richter (Slimy Scum)
    Date: 8/2/01

    [Adrian Miller] does provide reliable information
    when he has it in my experience.
    ======================

    --------------------------------------

    smh, Dec 11, 2003
  6. Hunter

    smh Guest

    Re: Win XP Sp1 CD ROM and DVD Rom Not Recognizing Newly inserteddiscs

    Mike Richter, were you born with
    "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
    --------------------------------------

    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=
    (Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

    ( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
    ( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes! )

    Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) wrote:

    > I can't help solving this in XP directly, but ...
    > <crap snipped>

    Why are you commenting on WinXP when you don't use/know it, Mikey?

    XP (which I do not know)
    [...not use...not know...not write...]

    I do not comment on what I don't know.

    What a Friggin' Shit!