Win XP slow boot up - BootVis diagnotic tool

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Warwick, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    Hi,

    My machine has been misbehaving during boot for some time.
    Since what XP is actually doing during these periods is a mystery I
    have not bothered to try and fix it.

    I was told today about a diagnostic called BootVis, written by
    microsoft that is designed to diagnose boot problems.

    Bugger of it is Msoft have removed it from their site, and I have
    tried 3 dloads in a row from alternative sites.

    In each case the file is *.msi, in each case the msi file is reported
    as corrupted by IE and wont install it.

    So there are two questions - where can I get this file from?
    - what might be up with the msi installer package for this error to
    come up 3 times in a row? (I am attempting to open from location).

    any help much appreciated.

    PS the specific misbehaiour is as follows

    The machine will not cold start, it needs to be started once, then
    reset and it then it boots.

    After boot the desktop appears but nothing will launch for a period of
    several minutes. I know when the several minutes are up because AVG
    icon appears in systray when XP is finished doing its start up
    routines. The delay is well in excess of the 30 seconds the designers
    targetted in XP.

    Machine is an athlon xp1800 with 512 MB ram , mobo SIS k7s5a

    Warwick, Oct 6, 2003

  2. On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:46:36 +1300, Warwick <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My machine has been misbehaving during boot for some time.
    >Since what XP is actually doing during these periods is a mystery I
    >have not bothered to try and fix it.
    >
    >I was told today about a diagnostic called BootVis, written by
    >microsoft that is designed to diagnose boot problems.

    Not sure where I got it from, but I've used BootVis, and it was still
    hanging around in my documents folder, so I've chucked it up on my
    ihug homepage space

    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ksoft/BootVis-Tool.exe

    I virus checked it first, just in case. :)

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Warwick

    PC Guest

    Hi Warwick

    > The machine will not cold start, it needs to be started once, then
    > reset and it then it boots.
    >
    > After boot the desktop appears but nothing will launch for a period of
    > several minutes. I know when the several minutes are up because AVG
    > icon appears in systray when XP is finished doing its start up
    > routines. The delay is well in excess of the 30 seconds the designers
    > targetted in XP.

    Can't help with the diagnostic program, but looking at your description I
    get the feeling it may well be a hardware problem.

    I guess it depends on what you mean by "boot"

    When you first start the machine is there anything on the screen or is it
    blank?

    To me to complete a "boot" up is to complete the bios test routines and to
    start loading the Operating System from the hard disk (XP in your case)
    I would regard the machine as now in the "startup" mode. The machine has
    finished "starting up" when the Operating System has loaded and all the
    start up processes (Anti Virus, Firewalls, etc.........) have finished

    If you get a blank screen first before 'resetting' it will be a hardware
    (mb, ram....) problem.

    I had a laptop here that 'booted' as normal but took 10 minutes to 'start
    up'.
    The cause was a dying hard drive that was going through lots of 're reads'
    of each sector as it loaded data of the disk. The problem was the drive was
    eventually reading each sector before a failure to read drive error was
    generated by the OS. The net result was 5 -10 minutes from the 'boot' screen
    to a windows desktop.

    Have you tried another hard drive in the machine?

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Oct 6, 2003
  4. Warwick

    EAgle Guest

    "Warwick" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > My machine has been misbehaving during boot for some time.
    > Since what XP is actually doing during these periods is a mystery I
    > have not bothered to try and fix it.
    >
    > I was told today about a diagnostic called BootVis, written by
    > microsoft that is designed to diagnose boot problems.
    >
    > Bugger of it is Msoft have removed it from their site, and I have
    > tried 3 dloads in a row from alternative sites.
    >
    > In each case the file is *.msi, in each case the msi file is reported
    > as corrupted by IE and wont install it.
    >
    > So there are two questions - where can I get this file from?
    > - what might be up with the msi installer package for this error to
    > come up 3 times in a row? (I am attempting to open from location).
    >
    > any help much appreciated.
    >
    > PS the specific misbehaiour is as follows
    >
    > The machine will not cold start, it needs to be started once, then
    > reset and it then it boots.
    >
    > After boot the desktop appears but nothing will launch for a period of
    > several minutes. I know when the several minutes are up because AVG
    > icon appears in systray when XP is finished doing its start up
    > routines. The delay is well in excess of the 30 seconds the designers
    > targetted in XP.
    >
    > Machine is an athlon xp1800 with 512 MB ram , mobo SIS k7s5a

    I'm not sure about your first symptom, but I too have a fairly large delay
    before I get control of my desktop, and this seems to happen right after I
    install Anti-Virus software. My thought was that this was the time taken for
    AV to do the initial bootup scan. Haven't timed it to see if it was over 30
    seconds, but it is rather annoyingly long..

    EAgle

    EAgle, Oct 6, 2003
  5. "Kristofer Clayton" <> wrote in message
    > >I was told today about a diagnostic called BootVis, written by
    > >microsoft that is designed to diagnose boot problems.

    > Not sure where I got it from, but I've used BootVis, and it was still
    > hanging around in my documents folder, so I've chucked it up on my
    > ihug homepage space
    >
    > http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~ksoft/BootVis-Tool.exe

    Don't believe what some of the tech enthusiast sites say about recommending
    running Bootvis

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/performance/fastboot/default.mspx

    About Bootvis.exe
    Bootvis.exe is a performance tracing and visualization tool that Microsoft
    designed to help PC system designers and software developers identify
    performance issues for boot/resume timing while developing new PC products
    or supporting software.

    Please note that Bootvis.exe is not a tool that will improve boot/resume
    performance for end users. Contrary to some published reports, Bootvis.exe
    cannot reduce or alter a system's boot or resume performance. The boot
    optimization routines invoked by Bootvis.exe are built into Windows XP.
    These routines run automatically at pre-determined times as part of the
    normal operation of the operating system.

    If you are an end-user seeking to resolve issues for boot/resume performance
    on your PC, we recommend that you contact the vendor from whom you purchased
    the PC. For information from Microsoft on specific issues, you can search
    Knowledge Base for Windows XP product issues related to "resume time."
    Knowledge Base is a free information service available at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

    You can also post questions to the Microsoft Windows XP Newsgroups at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/?pr=newsgwinxp&Product=winxp

    Nathan Mercer, Oct 6, 2003
  6. Warwick

    PC Guest

    Warwick/EAgle

    Snip

    > I'm not sure about your first symptom, but I too have a fairly large delay
    > before I get control of my desktop, and this seems to happen right after I
    > install Anti-Virus software. My thought was that this was the time taken

    for
    > AV to do the initial bootup scan. Haven't timed it to see if it was over

    30
    > seconds, but it is rather annoyingly long..

    Snip

    Ah Ha !!!!

    The PC hasn't got both Norton and McAfee antivirus on it has it, or has had
    them installed in the past?

    Can't remember the exact sequence but I had a machine in that originally had
    a older copy of McAfee AV.
    Virus infection, friendly neighour put Norton AV on to remove virus. Deleted
    Norton after virus removal
    Owner bought new version of McAfee.
    Initial stage of Install OK
    On reboot it took half an hour (yep 30 minutes) before it finished starting
    up.
    Uninstall McAfee = normal boot up. Reinstall McAfee = 30 minute ...........
    etc

    In the end we removed McAfee then trawled the registry for any reference to
    both McAfee AND Norton, ran MS RegClean etc.

    Can't say what precise mechanism it was but concluded that Nav and McAfee
    had low level routines that were competing for access to files in a ping
    pong fashion. The Nav uninstall routines apparently hadn't fully removed all
    active components.

    FWIW

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Oct 6, 2003
  7. Warwick

    Warwick Guest

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 17:46:36 +1300, Warwick <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >My machine has been misbehaving during boot for some time.
    >Since what XP is actually doing during these periods is a mystery I
    >have not bothered to try and fix it.
    >
    >I was told today about a diagnostic called BootVis, written by
    >microsoft that is designed to diagnose boot problems.
    >
    >Bugger of it is Msoft have removed it from their site, and I have
    >tried 3 dloads in a row from alternative sites.
    >
    >In each case the file is *.msi, in each case the msi file is reported
    >as corrupted by IE and wont install it.
    >
    >So there are two questions - where can I get this file from?
    >- what might be up with the msi installer package for this error to
    >come up 3 times in a row? (I am attempting to open from location).
    >
    >any help much appreciated.
    >
    >PS the specific misbehaiour is as follows
    >
    >The machine will not cold start, it needs to be started once, then
    >reset and it then it boots.
    >
    >After boot the desktop appears but nothing will launch for a period of
    >several minutes. I know when the several minutes are up because AVG
    >icon appears in systray when XP is finished doing its start up
    >routines. The delay is well in excess of the 30 seconds the designers
    >targetted in XP.
    >
    >Machine is an athlon xp1800 with 512 MB ram , mobo SIS k7s5a

    ty for the BootVis exe Kristopher.

    I have two separte problems here.

    Windows has done all of its routines within 21 seconds. There is
    another 51 seconds of delay with the processor apparently doing sweet
    fa. Ill have to keep playing with bootvis to try and work out what
    that is about. (time drags when you are having fun huh? my 'several
    minutes' is in fact 72 seconds :) )

    The other problem probably is hardware.

    Behaviour is as follows.
    the first screen after turning the machine on is a couple of lines
    saying that NVidia has 32 MB ram and is working ok.

    The second screen is headed 'American Megatrends' and tailed with
    'Initialising boot agent'.

    The third screen is headed 'AMIBIOS SYSTEM CONFIG' contains the system
    specs and at the bottom you can see it searching the floppy and cdrom
    for boot records.

    It is after this third screen that the whole system hangs forever and
    needs to be reset. After a warm reboot I go thru those screens again
    (only a second or two for each) and then get screen 4.

    "we apologise for the inconvenience but windows failed to start ...."
    (I am sure you are familiar with it). If I choose normal start up it
    starts up normally.

    The supplier of this machine has gone out of business. I am not
    surprised, when I bought it originally they did not deliver it, and
    when I chased it up they said 'it was being tested' and would not
    arrive for another week or so. I said ok, I am cancelling this
    contract for supply, since you have not done what you promised to do
    and going to another vendor, please refund my money asap.

    They said this was impossible blah blah blah, I said it sure as shit
    is not impossible blah blah blah. 10 minutes later a tech rang and
    said I would have the machine in two days. 2 days later the wrong
    machine arrives. Since it was over specced compared to the one I
    ordered I decided not to say anything to the supplier about it.
    However the box was a total mess. Reset button either not set up or
    deliberately disabled. Ide cables literally stuffed into the cavity
    and badly crimped (I know that is possibly not a biggie but after
    tracing x no of faults to bloody cables I tend not to put unneccessary
    stress on them myself) and the fsb was running at half speed.

    So I reckon I am going to have to live with this or nut it out myself.

    thanks for all your replies

    best
    Warwick

    Warwick, Oct 7, 2003
  8. Warwick

    Paul Guest

    Did u by chance install one of the fixes
    from MS that could cause slow booting
    of XP? And install the fix for it? to fix it?

    Also, if u have Nortons and Autoprotect
    is ON. The turn it off. That can also
    cause installations to fail (so they say).

    Paul, Oct 9, 2003