    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    http://www.NuBoy-Industries.com

    OldGringo, Mar 25, 2009

  2. OldGringo

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:58:33 -0500, OldGringo wrote:

    > I need an app to allow me to turn off some of the running processes and
    > keep them off until I use them. Media Players, CD Burners, etc. etc.
    > PS: I have already formatted the hard drive. <G>

    Well,that's headed Dan C off at the pass! :)

    Aardvark, Mar 25, 2009

  3. OldGringo <> promulgated this
    using news:mCsyl.13491$:

    > I need an app to allow me to turn off some of the
    > running processes and keep them off until I use
    > them. Media Players, CD Burners, etc. etc.
    > PS: I have already formatted the hard drive. <G>

    Some processes will require you to reboot to "turn them
    back on again."

    Some reason task manager does not work for you?

    In WinXP, you could goto C:\WINDOWS\system32

    Locate taskmgr.exe

    Right-click | Send To | Desktop (create a shortcut)

    Just rename it (it has the little arrow) to Task Manager

    Open it by double clicking on the shortcut

    Under "Options" check them all

    ('Minimize on use' and 'Hide when minimized' will
    send it to your SysTray when minimized)

    Minimize - Maximize - Minimize - Maximize - wheeeeee-000
    better than Diddneyland...

    Close it out - 'Exit by File' | Exit or "Red X"

    Now, navigate to this folder :

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    Copy and paste your new shortcut there

    Reboot...

    Your Task Manager should be in your SysTray, with a litt'e
    dashboard meter informing you of your CPU usage at a glance...

    Now, double-click your little icon...

    Click the "Processes" tab...

    You can click any of the column headers to re-arrange your
    processes. You can also click View | Select Columms...
    and pick the aspect(s) you wish to monitor. Most folks find
    that CPU Usage, Memory Usage, User Name are sufficient - however
    some like the Virtual Memory Size when they're selectively
    eliminating processes for a particular task. NOTE that it
    does not have a "default" per se, so you might want to keep
    a Notepad file on your adjustments - at least initially.

    Good luck.

    --

    I am Bucky Breeder, (*(^; , and I am
    NOT the Octo-Momma's baby-daddy!

    Get some purdy wimmins what are not yer seester or yer couzin
    in yer truck without even using up any of your tranquilizer darts :

    http://www.psy.ritsumei.ac.jp/~akitaoka/colorspiralillusion01.jpg

    Bucky Breeder, Mar 25, 2009
  4. OldGringo

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:29:04 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >Well,that's headed Dan C off at the pass! :)

    And to take care of chucktard, you need to say you're removed and
    reseated every card / memory, and reset your BIOS to factory defaults.

    Evan Platt, Mar 25, 2009
  5. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The Bucky Breeder Post:
    > OldGringo <> promulgated this
    > using news:mCsyl.13491$:
    >
    >> I need an app to allow me to turn off some of the
    >> running processes and keep them off until I use
    >> them. Media Players, CD Burners, etc. etc.
    >> PS: I have already formatted the hard drive. <G>

    > Some processes will require you to reboot to "turn them
    > back on again."
    >
    > Some reason task manager does not work for you?
    >
    > In WinXP, you could goto C:\WINDOWS\system32
    >
    > Locate taskmgr.exe
    >
    > Right-click | Send To | Desktop (create a shortcut)
    >
    > Just rename it (it has the little arrow) to Task Manager
    >
    > Open it by double clicking on the shortcut
    >
    > Under "Options" check them all
    >
    > ('Minimize on use' and 'Hide when minimized' will
    > send it to your SysTray when minimized)
    >
    > Minimize - Maximize - Minimize - Maximize - wheeeeee-000
    > better than Diddneyland...
    >
    > Close it out - 'Exit by File' | Exit or "Red X"
    >
    > Now, navigate to this folder :
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    >

    > Copy and paste your new shortcut there
    >
    > Reboot...
    >
    > Your Task Manager should be in your SysTray, with a litt'e
    > dashboard meter informing you of your CPU usage at a glance...
    >
    > Now, double-click your little icon...
    >
    > Click the "Processes" tab...
    >
    > You can click any of the column headers to re-arrange your
    > processes. You can also click View | Select Columms...
    > and pick the aspect(s) you wish to monitor. Most folks find
    > that CPU Usage, Memory Usage, User Name are sufficient - however
    > some like the Virtual Memory Size when they're selectively
    > eliminating processes for a particular task. NOTE that it
    > does not have a "default" per se, so you might want to keep
    > a Notepad file on your adjustments - at least initially.
    >
    > Good luck.

    By the time I got down to the line that said "Good Luck" I had
    forgotten why I was reading your post <g>
    This is what I was looking for:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlstart-up.html
    Thanks anyway

    --
    Old Gringo

    OldGringo, Mar 25, 2009
  6. Bucky Breeder <Breeder_Bucky.Breeder@That's.my.name_Don't.wear.it.out>
    promulgated this using news:Xns9BD9764C7C238BuckyGram@216.151.153.44:

    > OldGringo <> promulgated this
    > using news:mCsyl.13491$:
    >
    >> I need an app to allow me to turn off some of the
    >> running processes and keep them off until I use
    >> them. Media Players, CD Burners, etc. etc.
    >> PS: I have already formatted the hard drive. <G>

    > Some processes will require you to reboot to "turn them
    > back on again."
    >
    > Some reason task manager does not work for you?

    LOL! Or you could just try this:

    http://soft.em-tnt.com/files/StartUp.exe

    Bucky Breeder, Mar 25, 2009
  7. OldGringo <> promulgated this using

    > In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Bucky Breeder Post:
    >> OldGringo <> promulgated this
    >> using news:mCsyl.13491$:
    >>
    >>> I need an app to allow me to turn off some of the
    >>> running processes and keep them off until I use
    >>> them. Media Players, CD Burners, etc. etc.
    >>> PS: I have already formatted the hard drive. <G>

    >> Good luck.

    > By the time I got down to the line that said "Good Luck" I had
    > forgotten why I was reading your post <g>
    > This is what I was looking for:
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlstart-up.html
    > Thanks anyway

    Yeah, but have you tried this:

    http://www.aricept.com/index.html

    Bucky Breeder, Mar 25, 2009
  8. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The Bucky Breeder Post:
    > OldGringo <> promulgated this using
    >
    >> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Bucky Breeder Post:
    >>> OldGringo <> promulgated this
    >>> using news:mCsyl.13491$:

    >>> Good luck.

    >> By the time I got down to the line that said "Good Luck" I had
    >> forgotten why I was reading your post <g>
    >> This is what I was looking for:
    >> http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlstart-up.html
    >> Thanks anyway

    > Yeah, but have you tried this:
    >
    > http://www.aricept.com/index.html

    LMAO

    OldGringo, Mar 25, 2009
  9. OldGringo

    G. Morgan Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:

    >On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 16:29:04 GMT, Aardvark <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Well,that's headed Dan C off at the pass! :)

    >And to take care of chucktard, you need to say you're removed and
    >reseated every card / memory, and reset your BIOS to factory defaults.

    Lol... :)

    G. Morgan, Mar 25, 2009
  10. OldGringo

    G. Morgan Guest

    G. Morgan, Mar 25, 2009
  11. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The G. Morgan Post:
    > OldGringo wrote:
    >
    >> By the time I got down to the line that said "Good Luck" I had
    >> forgotten why I was reading your post <g>
    >> This is what I was looking for:
    >> http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlstart-up.html
    >> Thanks anyway

    > I was going to suggest:
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winpatrol.html
    >
    > It does what you want plus more. I wouldn't run a personal machine without
    > it.

    That's it, Perfect.
    Thank You

    OldGringo, Mar 26, 2009
  12. OldGringo

    chuckcar Guest

    OldGringo <> wrote in

    > In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    > Two Cents To The Bucky Breeder Post:
    >> OldGringo <> promulgated this
    >> using news:mCsyl.13491$:
    >>
    >>> I need an app to allow me to turn off some of the
    >>> running processes and keep them off until I use
    >>> them. Media Players, CD Burners, etc. etc.
    >>> PS: I have already formatted the hard drive. <G>

    >> Some processes will require you to reboot to "turn them
    >> back on again."
    >>

    > By the time I got down to the line that said "Good Luck" I had
    > forgotten why I was reading your post <g>
    > This is what I was looking for:
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlstart-up.html
    > Thanks anyway

    Actually the way he suggests has two *very* important benefits:

    1. It uses windows itself to do it - something that virtually guarantees
    it won't foul up - something not exactly uncommon with 2nd party software
    due to the way MS doesn't document their code for developers.

    2. It's the simplest way to do it period.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 26, 2009
  13. chuckcar wrote:

    > 1. It uses windows itself to do it - something that virtually
    > guarantees it won't foul up

    Which planet do you live on?

    > - something not exactly uncommon with 2nd party software due to the
    > way MS doesn't document their code for developers.

    And why should they? It's all closed source.

    > 2. It's the simplest way to do it period.

    Heh! No "full stop" ??

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 26, 2009
  14. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The chuckcar Post:
    > OldGringo <> wrote in
    >
    >> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Bucky Breeder Post:
    >>> OldGringo <> promulgated this
    >>> using news:mCsyl.13491$:

    >>> Some processes will require you to reboot to "turn them
    >>> back on again."
    >>>

    >> By the time I got down to the line that said "Good Luck" I had
    >> forgotten why I was reading your post <g>
    >> This is what I was looking for:
    >> http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlstart-up.html
    >> Thanks anyway
    >>

    > Actually the way he suggests has two *very* important benefits:
    >
    > 1. It uses windows itself to do it - something that virtually guarantees
    > it won't foul up - something not exactly uncommon with 2nd party software
    > due to the way MS doesn't document their code for developers.
    >
    > 2. It's the simplest way to do it period.

    The main reason for me using a 3rd party app is that it is the easy
    way out and usually works as good as windows its self.
    Thanks for the impute.

    OldGringo, Mar 26, 2009
  15. chuckcar <> promulgated this using

    > OldGringo <> wrote in
    >
    >> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The Bucky Breeder Post:
    >>> OldGringo <> promulgated this
    >>> using news:mCsyl.13491$:

    >>> Some processes will require you to reboot to "turn them
    >>> back on again."
    >>>

    >> By the time I got down to the line that said "Good Luck" I had
    >> forgotten why I was reading your post <g>
    >> This is what I was looking for:
    >> http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlstart-up.html
    >> Thanks anyway
    >>

    > Actually the way he suggests has two *very* important benefits:
    >
    > 1. It uses windows itself to do it - something that virtually guarantees
    > it won't foul up - something not exactly uncommon with 2nd party software
    > due to the way MS doesn't document their code for developers.
    >
    > 2. It's the simplest way to do it period.

    IOW: If yer gonna use teh Windoze, ya mite ass well use ALL teh Windoze...

    Bucky Breeder, Mar 26, 2009
  16. OldGringo wrote:
    > In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My Two
    > Cents To The chuckcar Post:
    >> OldGringo <> wrote in
    >>> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >>> Two Cents To The Bucky Breeder Post:

    >>> By the time I got down to the line that said "Good Luck" I had
    >>> forgotten why I was reading your post <g>
    >>> This is what I was looking for:
    >>> http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlstart-up.html
    >>> Thanks anyway
    >>>

    >> Actually the way he suggests has two *very* important benefits:
    >>
    >> 1. It uses windows itself to do it - something that virtually guarantees
    >> it won't foul up - something not exactly uncommon with 2nd party software
    >> due to the way MS doesn't document their code for developers.
    >> 2. It's the simplest way to do it period.
    >>

    > The main reason for me using a 3rd party app is that it is the easy way
    > out and usually works as good as windows its self.
    > Thanks for the impute.

    Give "Tiny Watcher" a looksee. IT does a simple scan at startup etc...

    HTH

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com

    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 26, 2009
  17. OldGringo

    OldGringo Guest

    Two Cents To The §ñühw¤£f Post:
    > OldGringo wrote:
    >> In The Beginning God Created The Heavens And Earth, Then I Added My
    >> Two Cents To The chuckcar Post:
    >>> OldGringo <> wrote in

    >>> Actually the way he suggests has two *very* important benefits:
    >>>
    >>> 1. It uses windows itself to do it - something that virtually guarantees
    >>> it won't foul up - something not exactly uncommon with 2nd party
    >>> software
    >>> due to the way MS doesn't document their code for developers.
    >>> 2. It's the simplest way to do it period.
    >>>

    >> The main reason for me using a 3rd party app is that it is the easy
    >> way out and usually works as good as windows its self.
    >> Thanks for the impute.
    >>

    > Give "Tiny Watcher" a looksee. IT does a simple scan at startup etc...
    >
    > HTH

    Thanks

    OldGringo, Mar 27, 2009