  1. Ken Smith

    Ken Smith Guest

    How do I reinstall XP pro over the top of my current XP pro?

    Ken Smith, Jan 10, 2005

  2. Ken Smith

    Rob K Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:09:49 GMT, Ken Smith wrote:

    > How do I reinstall XP pro over the top of my current XP pro?

    Um ... why ?
    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Jan 10, 2005

  3. Ken Smith

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    | On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:09:49 GMT, Ken Smith wrote:
    |
    | > How do I reinstall XP pro over the top of my current XP pro?
    |
    | Um ... why ?

    Bored? Nothing better to do? <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 11, 2005
  4. Ken Smith

    Mike Rowhard Guest

    "Ken Smith" <> wrote in news:1XDEd.364$za.95
    @newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:

    > How do I reinstall XP pro over the top of my current XP pro?

    In your subject line you say WinXPpro-SP2, but in the body of the article
    you only say XPpro...

    This does beg the question of what exactly you're hopping to akomplishe.

    <G>

    Look, if you have SP2 installed, and you try to flash your OS with an
    XPpro Basic or XPpro-SP1 disk, you're going to end up having to update
    your OS... Prolly a couple of times.

    Now then, if you simply flash your OS with SP2, you know, the 266 MB RTM
    file that M$ released, it might just fix you up.

    Basically, all you do is insert the M$_WinXPpro-[SP?] disk (or find the
    SP2-RTM file and double-click it) and elect the "repair" option from the
    menu which is offered. You may need to write down your Product Key so
    that is available if you are prompted to enter it.

    That's about it. You shouldn't have any big problems - after the
    reinstall is complete, some of your programs may require a re-entry of
    the license information, and sometimes you may actually have to reinstall
    a program or two, but no biggie if you're having problems with system
    malfunctions and the sort.

    However, if you've been hit by a virus or something like that, flashing
    your OS install won't help you at all - you may want to go all out and
    reformat and install from scratch for a clean and pristene system.

    Good luck.

    Mike Rowhard, Jan 11, 2005
  5. Ken Smith

    Rob K Guest

    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:08:27 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:

    <snip>
    > Bored? Nothing better to do? <g>

    Hold the fort , TT.
    I'm off to bed now. :)

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Jan 11, 2005
  6. Ken Smith

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    | On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:08:27 -0800, Toolman Tim wrote:
    |
    | <snip>
    | > Bored? Nothing better to do? <g>
    |
    | Hold the fort , TT.
    | I'm off to bed now. :)

    g'nite! <g>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 11, 2005
  7. Ken Smith

    WormWood Guest

    "Mike Rowhard" <> wrote in message
    > "Ken Smith" <> wrote in
    > @newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:
    >
    >> How do I reinstall XP pro over the top of my current XP pro?
    >>

    > In your subject line you say WinXPpro-SP2, but in the body of the
    > article
    > you only say XPpro...
    >
    > This does beg the question of what exactly you're hopping to
    > akomplishe.
    >
    > <G>
    >
    > Look, if you have SP2 installed, and you try to flash your OS with an
    > XPpro Basic or XPpro-SP1 disk, you're going to end up having to update
    > your OS... Prolly a couple of times.

    For those who may not know, SP2 is uninstallable in Settings / Control
    Panel / add/remove programs. Just a little "fyi." <g>
    <snip>

    WormWood, Jan 11, 2005
  8. Ken Smith

    The One Guest

    "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:09:49 GMT, Ken Smith wrote:
    >
    >> How do I reinstall XP pro over the top of my current XP pro?

    > Um ... why ?
    > --

    In your attempt to sound patronizing you made yourself look a complete

    The One, Jan 11, 2005