    how to correct it...anybody able to help on resolving this irritating
    problem.?

    TIA
    hummingbird, Jun 11, 2004

  2. hummingbird

    Kevin Horner Guest

    115.2 is the speed from the modem to your motherboard
    42.67 is the speed from your isp to your modem

    Kevin Horner, Jun 11, 2004

  3. hummingbird

    °Mike° Guest

    DUN shows 57,600 or 115,200 bit/s
    http://www.modem-help.co.uk/modblame.html#115200

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:06:50 +0100, in
    <>
    hummingbird scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 11, 2004
  4. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:13:31 -0500, "Kevin Horner"
    <>
    mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >115.2 is the speed from the modem to your motherboard
    >42.67 is the speed from your isp to your modem

    I know that.
    What I want to know is how to get the modem speed (42.67)
    to appear in the DUN icon and Task Manager as it should do
    (and as it used to do until something changed...).

    hummingbird, Jun 11, 2004
  5. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:20:10 +0100, °Mike° <>
    mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >DUN shows 57,600 or 115,200 bit/s
    >http://www.modem-help.co.uk/modblame.html#115200

    Thanks °Mike°. I hoped you might cast your eye at this problem.
    I've got a USR 56k internal voice modem V.90 and it worked well
    under W98/SE but since rebuilding my machine and installing XP-Pro,
    the modem connection has gone barmy.

    XP-Pro auto-installed the modem and calls it a 'USR 56k Voice
    Win 1806' (whatever that is) and uses the 1806 .inf which I think may
    be the wrong one. I've noticed apart from the DTE port speed being
    reported instead of DCE connection speed, it also shows that no
    compression is used nor error correction! Adding extra AT settings
    seems to have no effect. I also suffer from frequent 'lost carrier'
    problems (connection just stops but stays connected) and have to
    disconnect and re-dial. Then I find the DUN often goes into
    'Not Responding' mode...so I have to close with brute force.
    Such is life.

    Anyway, I'll browse around that link you quoted above and keep
    trying to get to the bottom of it.

    Thanks for your help.

    hummingbird, Jun 12, 2004
  6. hummingbird

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:56:13 +0100, in
    <>
    hummingbird scrawled:

    >On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:20:10 +0100, °Mike° <>
    > mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
    >
    >>DUN shows 57,600 or 115,200 bit/s
    >>http://www.modem-help.co.uk/modblame.html#115200

    >Thanks °Mike°. I hoped you might cast your eye at this problem.
    >I've got a USR 56k internal voice modem V.90 and it worked well
    >under W98/SE but since rebuilding my machine and installing XP-Pro,
    >the modem connection has gone barmy.
    >
    >XP-Pro auto-installed the modem and calls it a 'USR 56k Voice
    >Win 1806' (whatever that is) and uses the 1806 .inf which I think may
    >be the wrong one.

    Then you need to update it to the correct one. See the
    USR site for the correct driver .inf file:
    http://www.usr.com/support/drivers-template.asp?prod=s-modem
    http://www.usr.com/support/downloads-template.asp?prod=s-modem
    http://www.usr.com/support/drivers-template.asp?prod=s-pccard

    If you can't find it above, see:
    http://www.usr.com/support/s-main-menu.asp

    > I've noticed apart from the DTE port speed being
    >reported instead of DCE connection speed, it also shows that no
    >compression is used nor error correction!

    You can correct that in the DUN properties.

    > Adding extra AT settings seems to have no effect. I also
    >suffer from frequent 'lost carrier' problems (connection just
    >stops but stays connected) and have to disconnect and re-dial.
    >Then I find the DUN often goes into 'Not Responding' mode...so
    >I have to close with brute force.
    >Such is life.

    See if updating the modem driver helps.

    >Anyway, I'll browse around that link you quoted above and keep
    >trying to get to the bottom of it.
    >
    >Thanks for your help.

    Ok, good luck.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 12, 2004
  7. hummingbird

    hummingbird Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 04:24:52 +0100, °Mike° <>
    mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

    >On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 01:56:13 +0100, in
    > <>
    > hummingbird scrawled:
    >
    >>On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:20:10 +0100, °Mike° <>
    >> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
    >>
    >>>DUN shows 57,600 or 115,200 bit/s
    >>>http://www.modem-help.co.uk/modblame.html#115200

    >>Thanks °Mike°. I hoped you might cast your eye at this problem.
    >>I've got a USR 56k internal voice modem V.90 and it worked well
    >>under W98/SE but since rebuilding my machine and installing XP-Pro,
    >>the modem connection has gone barmy.
    >>
    >>XP-Pro auto-installed the modem and calls it a 'USR 56k Voice
    >>Win 1806' (whatever that is) and uses the 1806 .inf which I think may
    >>be the wrong one.

    >Then you need to update it to the correct one. See the
    >USR site for the correct driver .inf file:
    >http://www.usr.com/support/drivers-template.asp?prod=s-modem
    >http://www.usr.com/support/downloads-template.asp?prod=s-modem
    >http://www.usr.com/support/drivers-template.asp?prod=s-pccard

    I'll have another look but...
    I've Been there. Sadly, USR don't seem to know which modem I have.
    The picture & spec they show of my model number don't match.

    I think their modem model naming/numbering must have got out of
    control some time ago, possibly when 3Com/USR merged and (I think)
    then de-merged again.

    >If you can't find it above, see:
    >http://www.usr.com/support/s-main-menu.asp

    I'll take another look.

    >> I've noticed apart from the DTE port speed being
    >>reported instead of DCE connection speed, it also shows that no
    >>compression is used nor error correction!

    >You can correct that in the DUN properties.

    Been there, changed the properties but some changes have no effect
    (compression/error correcton).

    >> Adding extra AT settings seems to have no effect. I also
    >>suffer from frequent 'lost carrier' problems (connection just
    >>stops but stays connected) and have to disconnect and re-dial.
    >>Then I find the DUN often goes into 'Not Responding' mode...so
    >>I have to close with brute force.
    >>Such is life.

    >See if updating the modem driver helps.

    I'm running the latest driver installed with XP-Pro.
    USR site has nothing for XP.

    >>Anyway, I'll browse around that link you quoted above and keep
    >>trying to get to the bottom of it.
    >>
    >>Thanks for your help.

    >Ok, good luck.

    Thanks, there might be some clues on that other website or links.
    hummingbird, Jun 12, 2004