    My old computer Win 98... You clicked shutdown and the whole thing would
    power off.

    The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.

    Ninip, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Ninip

    Ionizer Guest

    "Ninip" <> wrote in message
    news:VHiFb.776098$9l5.728356@pd7tw2no...

    > Hi
    > I hope someone can help me with this.
    > I have Win XP Pro
    > When I click on Shutdown, the computer does it's thing and then stops and

    on
    > the screen it says "It is now safe to turn off your computer"
    > Then I have to manually push the button on the tower to turn it off.
    >
    > What is wrong and how do I fix it?

    Your problem is addressed on this page:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm

    HTH,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Ninip

    h2so4 Guest

    "Ninip" <> wrote in message

    > Hi
    > I hope someone can help me with this.
    > I have Win XP Pro
    > When I click on Shutdown, the computer does it's thing and then stops and

    on
    > the screen it says "It is now safe to turn off your computer"
    > Then I have to manually push the button on the tower to turn it off.
    >
    > What is wrong and how do I fix it?
    >
    > My old computer Win 98... You clicked shutdown and the whole thing would
    > power off.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

    > The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.

    You have a file missing. I had a similar problem six months ago and I found
    a fix on the Microsoft knowledge base. You might even find this fix by
    trying a google search.

    h2so4, Dec 21, 2003
  4. Ninip

    M Mullen Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:08:37 GMT, "Ninip" <> wrote:

    |> Hi
    |> I hope someone can help me with this.
    |> I have Win XP Pro
    |> When I click on Shutdown, the computer does it's thing and then stops and on
    |> the screen it says "It is now safe to turn off your computer"
    |> Then I have to manually push the button on the tower to turn it off.
    |>
    |> What is wrong and how do I fix it?
    |>
    |> My old computer Win 98... You clicked shutdown and the whole thing would
    |> power off.
    |>
    |> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
    |>
    |> --

    That's the way it's supposed to work.
    you have three shutdown options:
    Log off <user> allows another user to log on without restarting
    ShutDown stops at "It is now safe to turn off your computer"
    Restart will shutdown and reboot your computer, restarting your OS
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w

    M Mullen, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Ninip

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:27:54 -0800, M Mullen wrote:

    >On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:08:37 GMT, "Ninip" <> wrote:
    >

    >|> Hi
    >|> I hope someone can help me with this.
    >|> I have Win XP Pro
    >|> When I click on Shutdown, the computer does it's thing and then stops and on
    >|> the screen it says "It is now safe to turn off your computer"
    >|> Then I have to manually push the button on the tower to turn it off.
    >|>
    >|> What is wrong and how do I fix it?

    <snip>

    >That's the way it's supposed to work.
    >you have three shutdown options:
    >Log off <user> allows another user to log on without restarting
    >ShutDown stops at "It is now safe to turn off your computer"

    Not always,
    XP Pro and RedHat Linux / Fedora will quite happily shutdown (power off)
    a Dell GX100 for me. Even Win 2000 Pro can do this on an unbranded
    system.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Ninip

    Shel-hed Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:07:14 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:27:54 -0800, M Mullen wrote:
    ><snip>
    >

    >>That's the way it's supposed to work.
    >>you have three shutdown options:
    >>Log off <user> allows another user to log on without restarting
    >>ShutDown stops at "It is now safe to turn off your computer"

    >Not always,
    >XP Pro and RedHat Linux / Fedora will quite happily shutdown (power off)
    >a Dell GX100 for me. Even Win 2000 Pro can do this on an unbranded
    >system.
    >
    ><snip>

    That's the way my old grunty 98se system works too. Of course, I have the Remote
    CraniumReader-O-Matic (USB version) aimed at my skull, so my 'pooter probably knows
    what I want anyway.

    Shel-hed, Dec 21, 2003