    for saving files is C:\My Documents.

    To save time, how can I change the default location to D:\Data?\

    Thanks.
    Jeff G, Nov 11, 2005

  2. Jeff G

    Swiss Tony Guest

    "Jeff G" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I d/l a lot of files from the internet. The present default location
    > for saving files is C:\My Documents.
    >
    > To save time, how can I change the default location to D:\Data?\
    >
    > Thanks.

    Just download to it.
    The next time you download it should automatically be set to d:\data.
    Pictures will be saved to my docs\my pics
    Swiss Tony, Nov 11, 2005

  3. Jeff G

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:27:57 -0500, Jeff G <> wrote:

    >I d/l a lot of files from the internet. The present default location
    >for saving files is C:\My Documents.
    >
    >To save time, how can I change the default location to D:\Data?\

    Depends on how you download those files from the internet.
    Evan Platt, Nov 11, 2005
  4. Jeff G

    old jon Guest

    "Jeff G" <> wrote in message
    >I d/l a lot of files from the internet. The present default location for
    >saving files is C:\My Documents.
    >
    > To save time, how can I change the default location to D:\Data?\
    >
    > Thanks.

    Use SaveAs then you can choose the folder.
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Nov 11, 2005
  5. Jeff G

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:27:57 -0500, Jeff G <> wrote:

    >I d/l a lot of files from the internet. The present default location
    >for saving files is C:\My Documents.
    >
    >To save time, how can I change the default location to D:\Data?\
    >
    >Thanks.

    Doesn't seem to be an easy way unless you:

    * Keep that application open (that you downloaded from) which means
    not restarting Windows XP

    OR

    * Change the location of My Documents to D:\DATA (Go to My Documents
    Properties and change the Target to D:\DATA)

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Nov 11, 2005
  6. Jeff G

    Jeff G Guest

    At least the last person to answer realized that this wasn't a newbie
    question.

    The Win XP Pro OS won't let you relocate the My Documents folder to
    another drive. It must be on the drive that the OS was installed to
    originally. Try moving it on your computer to another partition or
    drive and see for yourself.

    I've stuck a shortcut to D:\data in C:\My Documents. But until I
    reorganize the folder so that there are fewer items (files and
    subfolders), its a nuisance to find in the Save File dialog unless you
    take the added step of right-clicking in the "target" window and
    selecting "Arrange Icons by Type".

    Obviously I can't keep the apps I save from open all of the time.
    Moments after I wrote this I recognized that this wasn't browser
    specific as I wanted to save a file I'd worked on in my image editor to
    a location other than C:\My Doc~.

    This is a Sys level problem that might have a registry tweak solution.
    Maybe I should post this to one of the more specific Win XP Pro BBs.

    Thanks.

    Jeff G, Nov 12, 2005
  7. Jeff G

    Ann Guest

    On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 10:35:34 -0500, Jeff G <> wrote:

    >At least the last person to answer realized that this wasn't a newbie
    >question.
    >
    >The Win XP Pro OS won't let you relocate the My Documents folder to
    >another drive. It must be on the drive that the OS was installed to
    >originally. Try moving it on your computer to another partition or
    >drive and see for yourself.

    That's not true. You can right drag the My Documents folder to
    wherever you like and hit move here on the menu that will appear.

    Ann

    Ann, Nov 12, 2005
  8. Jeff G

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Jeff G" wrote in message news:

    > The Win XP Pro OS won't let you relocate the My Documents
    > folder to another drive. It must be on the drive that the OS was
    > installed to originally. Try moving it on your computer to another
    > partition or drive and see for yourself.

    Wrong.

    How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147

    I have WinXP Pro installed to C:\WINDOWS\
    I have my "My Documents" re-directed to D:\DAVE\

    Heck, if the WinXP Pro workstation was a member of an Active Directory you
    could even control the folder re-direction for "My Documents" via a Group
    Policy Object. In other words, it's designed to be moveable and it doesn't
    have to be on the same drive and could even be on a separate machine
    altogether, i.e. the users' "My Documents" folders could be re-directed to a
    server share for ease of backup.
    Dave Lear, Nov 12, 2005
  9. Jeff G

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Dave Lear spewed forth:
    > "Jeff G" wrote in message
    >> The Win XP Pro OS won't let you relocate the My Documents
    >> folder to another drive. It must be on the drive that the OS was
    >> installed to originally. Try moving it on your computer to another
    >> partition or drive and see for yourself.

    > Wrong.
    >
    > How to Change the Default Location of the My Documents Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310147
    >
    > I have WinXP Pro installed to C:\WINDOWS\
    > I have my "My Documents" re-directed to D:\DAVE\
    >
    > Heck, if the WinXP Pro workstation was a member of an Active
    > Directory you could even control the folder re-direction for "My
    > Documents" via a Group Policy Object. In other words, it's designed
    > to be moveable and it doesn't have to be on the same drive and could
    > even be on a separate machine altogether, i.e. the users' "My
    > Documents" folders could be re-directed to a server share for ease of
    > backup.

    Yeah - I *LOVE* that feature! All my users at work think they're putting
    things on their own computer, but in reality it's all on the network "home"
    drive for backup and reliability purposes. If a workstation dies, nothing is
    lost.

    In fact, I've put my desktop on the network store as well, since I
    frequently put work in process folders there. I know. Bad habit. I should
    create folders in a correct location, then shortcut to it. But I find myself
    with so /little/ time and so many bad habits <grin>

    like an idiot.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 12, 2005