Win XP Pro networking problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. This issue has already been discussed often, but none of the solutions I find
    seems to work for me.
    The configuration: D Link DI-524 wireless router connected to my cable
    modem. The network consists of a laser printer with printer server, wired to
    the router,
    a laptop with Win XP Pro and build in Intel WLAN adapter, and a desktop
    running
    Win XP Pro, with Belkin DWL-G122 wireless adapter.
    All devices have the same workgroup set, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled,
    Firewalls are turned off, My Document folders and external drives are made
    "shared". Initially I could ping and access the shared folder on the
    desktop, although executing "show workgroup" on the laptop only showed the
    laptop.
    Executing the same command on the desktop shows me laptop and desktop, but I
    can not ping or access the laptop. I get the message "... not accessible ...
    network path not found".
    I then tried to turn off Simple file sharing on the laptop, but this did not
    change anything. Then suddenly after rebooting the laptop, I can not ping or
    access the desktop anymore.
    I did also try to add one line to the HOSTS file. For desktop
    (127.0.0.1 localhost)
    IP_laptop laptopname

    and for the desktop
    (127.0.0.1 localhost)
    IP_desktop desktopname
    But, this did not change anything either.

    Any help of how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated

    =?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=, Aug 7, 2006

  2. Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 7, 2006

  3. 'Hello Jack,

    Thank you for the links, but I already went through these, and they dont
    seem to solve my problem.
    What I forgot to mention is the following.
    From the desktop, I can not ping the laptop, but when I do a "show
    workgroup", the laptop does show up.
    From the laptop, I can not ping the desktop, but when I activate the Sygate
    personal firewall on the desktop, I notice that the ping is received and is
    passed through. So, something behind the Sygate firewall is blocking the
    ping. Yesterday, I suddenly did get through, and could browse the desktop,
    but for the ping I still got a timeout. The access however did not get
    through for very long, and then I got the error message that \\desktop\shared
    was already defined, when trying to open the share on the desktop.
    Does this maybe give you another hint what might be wrong?

    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=, Aug 8, 2006