    Stupid MS! lol

    Thanks in advance!

    , Aug 20, 2007

  2. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi again. I have an HP computer with a legal XP Pro COA but I wasn't
    > given the install cd with the computer. I tried a generic xp pro disc
    > but the key won't work with it.
    >
    > Here's the problem. I found an HP specific XP Pro install cd but it
    > prompts me for a 2nd cd to "validate" something before it will let me
    > install it. I don't have the 2nd cd. What a stinkin' hassel! Is
    > there any way I can get around this? Like maybe a file on the install
    > cd I can delete then burn the cd again? I have a legal XP Pro
    > license, why do they have to make it this hard to install the OS?!!!
    > Stupid MS! lol
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Why doesn't your "generic" XP setup CD work? Is it a genuine Microsoft disc,
    or is it a vendor disc from a different PC brand? If you put the COA key in,
    what happens? If it does install, but just won't activate, you can call MS
    on the phone and activate it that way.

    WhzzKdd, Aug 20, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Aug 19, 10:16 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi again. I have an HP computer with a legal XP Pro COA but I wasn't
    > > given the install cd with the computer. I tried a generic xp pro disc
    > > but the key won't work with it.

    > > Here's the problem. I found an HP specific XP Pro install cd but it
    > > prompts me for a 2nd cd to "validate" something before it will let me
    > > install it. I don't have the 2nd cd. What a stinkin' hassel! Is
    > > there any way I can get around this? Like maybe a file on the install
    > > cd I can delete then burn the cd again? I have a legal XP Pro
    > > license, why do they have to make it this hard to install the OS?!!!
    > > Stupid MS! lol

    > > Thanks in advance!

    > Why doesn't your "generic" XP setup CD work? Is it a genuine Microsoft disc,
    > or is it a vendor disc from a different PC brand? If you put the COA key in,
    > what happens? If it does install, but just won't activate, you can call MS
    > on the phone and activate it that way.

    It says the key is invalid. It works on most computers, but the key
    that came with this HP is apparently HP specific.

    , Aug 20, 2007
  4. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 19, 10:16 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > Hi again. I have an HP computer with a legal XP Pro COA but I wasn't
    >> > given the install cd with the computer. I tried a generic xp pro disc
    >> > but the key won't work with it.

    >> > Here's the problem. I found an HP specific XP Pro install cd but it
    >> > prompts me for a 2nd cd to "validate" something before it will let me
    >> > install it. I don't have the 2nd cd. What a stinkin' hassel! Is
    >> > there any way I can get around this? Like maybe a file on the install
    >> > cd I can delete then burn the cd again? I have a legal XP Pro
    >> > license, why do they have to make it this hard to install the OS?!!!
    >> > Stupid MS! lol

    >> > Thanks in advance!

    >> Why doesn't your "generic" XP setup CD work? Is it a genuine Microsoft
    >> disc,
    >> or is it a vendor disc from a different PC brand? If you put the COA key
    >> in,
    >> what happens? If it does install, but just won't activate, you can call
    >> MS
    >> on the phone and activate it that way.

    > It says the key is invalid. It works on most computers, but the key
    > that came with this HP is apparently HP specific.

    Possibly, but what is your CD? Is it a genuine MS disc? Are you sure your
    COA is Pro and not Home?

    WhzzKdd, Aug 20, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Aug 19, 10:39 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On Aug 19, 10:16 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    > >> <> wrote in message

    > >> Why doesn't your "generic" XP setup CD work? Is it a genuine Microsoft
    > >> disc,
    > >> or is it a vendor disc from a different PC brand? If you put the COA key
    > >> in,
    > >> what happens? If it does install, but just won't activate, you can call
    > >> MS
    > >> on the phone and activate it that way.

    > > It says the key is invalid. It works on most computers, but the key
    > > that came with this HP is apparently HP specific.

    > Possibly, but what is your CD? Is it a genuine MS disc? Are you sure your
    > COA is Pro and not Home?- Hide quoted text -

    My CD is a generic or OEM Windows XP Professional install cd. The
    other one is an HP or Compaq Operating System CD for Windows XP
    Professional.

    Yes, the COA is for XP Pro.

    , Aug 20, 2007
  6. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 19, 10:39 pm, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > It says the key is invalid. It works on most computers, but the key
    >> > that came with this HP is apparently HP specific.

    >> Possibly, but what is your CD? Is it a genuine MS disc? Are you sure your
    >> COA is Pro and not Home

    > My CD is a generic or OEM Windows XP Professional install cd. The
    > other one is an HP or Compaq Operating System CD for Windows XP
    > Professional.
    >
    > Yes, the COA is for XP Pro.

    Okay - since there is NO SUCH THING as a "generic" CD, I'm assuming you mean
    a "Genuine" CD made/sold by Microsoft, not a branded one from some PC
    manufacturer such as Dell.

    If that's the case, then the CD has no problems whatsoever installing on
    your HP. It can install on ANY computer with the basic hardware required.

    So the problem is more likely to be the COA. Where did you get it? Is it an
    OEM code for your OEM install disk? Is it from the sticker on the side of
    the HP case?

    WhzzKdd, Aug 20, 2007
  7. PeeCee Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi again. I have an HP computer with a legal XP Pro COA but I wasn't
    > given the install cd with the computer. I tried a generic xp pro disc
    > but the key won't work with it.
    >
    > Here's the problem. I found an HP specific XP Pro install cd but it
    > prompts me for a 2nd cd to "validate" something before it will let me
    > install it. I don't have the 2nd cd. What a stinkin' hassel! Is
    > there any way I can get around this? Like maybe a file on the install
    > cd I can delete then burn the cd again? I have a legal XP Pro
    > license, why do they have to make it this hard to install the OS?!!!
    > Stupid MS! lol
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    As you have a 'genuine' XP Pro licence and can no doubt find the serial
    number on the HP PC, have you thought of contacting HP and buying a
    replacement restore CD?

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Aug 20, 2007
  8. Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:13:14 +1200, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Hi again. I have an HP computer with a legal XP Pro COA but I wasn't
    >> given the install cd with the computer. I tried a generic xp pro disc
    >> but the key won't work with it.
    >>
    >> Here's the problem. I found an HP specific XP Pro install cd but it
    >> prompts me for a 2nd cd to "validate" something before it will let me
    >> install it. I don't have the 2nd cd. What a stinkin' hassel! Is
    >> there any way I can get around this? Like maybe a file on the install
    >> cd I can delete then burn the cd again? I have a legal XP Pro
    >> license, why do they have to make it this hard to install the OS?!!!
    >> Stupid MS! lol
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!
    >>

    >As you have a 'genuine' XP Pro licence and can no doubt find the serial
    >number on the HP PC, have you thought of contacting HP and buying a
    >replacement restore CD?

    Google Grouper.. "I have a license, but no CD. Stupid microsoft."

    Sounds like a PRBCAK issue.

    Evan Platt, Aug 20, 2007
  9. Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote:

    >>As you have a 'genuine' XP Pro licence and can no doubt find the serial
    >>number on the HP PC, have you thought of contacting HP and buying a
    >>replacement restore CD?

    >Google Grouper.. "I have a license, but no CD. Stupid microsoft."

    Or one who doesn't have a license, no wait...
    http://tinyurl.com/39kxmx
    --

    Dwarf glued penis to Hoover
    http://tinyurl.com/yo63rp

    , Aug 20, 2007
  10. Guest

    What's a PRBCAK issue?

    Listen everyone, this is a perfectly LEGAL license on the computer.
    My issue is that my Windows XP Pro CD (which is also LEGAL) won't
    install with the LEGAL key from the COA sticker on the HP computer. I
    now have an HP Windows XP Pro CD (LEGAL again) but apparently it's cd1
    of a 2 cd set and I need the 2nd cd to "validate" the 1st one for some
    reason, but I don't have that 2nd cd. Is there a way around that?

    > Google Grouper.. "I have a license, but no CD. Stupid microsoft."
    >
    > Sounds like a PRBCAK issue.
    > --
    > To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.- Hide quoted text -

    , Aug 20, 2007
  11. Guest

    wrote:

    >What's a PRBCAK issue?
    >
    >Listen everyone, this is a perfectly LEGAL license on the computer.
    >My issue is that my Windows XP Pro CD (which is also LEGAL) won't
    >install with the LEGAL key from the COA sticker on the HP computer. I
    >now have an HP Windows XP Pro CD (LEGAL again) but apparently it's cd1
    >of a 2 cd set and I need the 2nd cd to "validate" the 1st one for some
    >reason, but I don't have that 2nd cd. Is there a way around that?

    HP XP install: when asked for the 2nd CD (it's looking for a file) put
    in the XP Pro CD and see if that works - try both numbers. Other than
    that calling MS would be the next choice.
    --

    Blue-Footed Boobies
    http://images.livescience.com/images/ig33_darwin_boobies_02.jpg

    , Aug 20, 2007
  12. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >
    >>What's a PRBCAK issue?
    >>
    >>Listen everyone, this is a perfectly LEGAL license on the computer.
    >>My issue is that my Windows XP Pro CD (which is also LEGAL) won't
    >>install with the LEGAL key from the COA sticker on the HP computer. I
    >>now have an HP Windows XP Pro CD (LEGAL again) but apparently it's cd1
    >>of a 2 cd set and I need the 2nd cd to "validate" the 1st one for some
    >>reason, but I don't have that 2nd cd. Is there a way around that?

    > HP XP install: when asked for the 2nd CD (it's looking for a file) put
    > in the XP Pro CD and see if that works - try both numbers. Other than
    > that calling MS would be the next choice.

    I believe "clueless" is the kindest description of the OP that I can come up
    with. At least THIS time he wrote that the COA is on the sticker on the HP
    computer.

    So if he has a valid COA, and a genuine MS OEM disc (which is still not
    clear), and it doesn't work, he's running into issues with MS that will
    require a phone call to their activation line.

    MY guess, at this point, is that he's trying to use a RETAIL or UPGRADE disc
    with an OEM COA. Won't work.

    WhzzKdd, Aug 20, 2007
  13. ih4553 Guest

    No, that didn't work, not that I thought it would, but I tried it anyway.

    ih4553, Aug 20, 2007
  14. Guest

    "ih4553" <> wrote:

    >> HP XP install: when asked for the 2nd CD (it's looking for a file) put
    >> in the XP Pro CD and see if that works - try both numbers. Other than
    >> that calling MS would be the next choice.

    >No, that didn't work, not that I thought it would, but I tried it anyway.

    Too bad, that's how I used to install Win95 from the NT CD :)

    --

    http://www.allmedia.com.au/bananana/

    , Aug 21, 2007
  15. ih4553 Guest

    I found a solution... which is surprising considering I'm "clueless"

    ih4553, Aug 21, 2007
  16. WhzzKdd Guest

    "ih4553" <> wrote in message
    >I found a solution... which is surprising considering I'm "clueless"

    My opinion of "clueless" is because you don't answer the questions when I
    ask them. How can you expect assistance when you repeatedly fail to provide
    the needed information?

    So what was your solution?

    WhzzKdd, Aug 21, 2007