    Is there a way to keep the system intact, but find, recover, change, or get at that password?

    Thanks, Dugie

    ---

    Dugie, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Dugie

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Dugie" <> wrote in
    news:329Rc.90071$:

    > Hello,
    >
    > My wife has forgotten her Admin password for her Dell laptop. It's her
    > only account ; guest is disabled. Her OS is Win XP Pro. She made no
    > password recovery disk - a lesson learned. :)
    >
    > Is there a way to keep the system intact, but find, recover, change,
    > or get at that password?
    >
    > Thanks, Dugie

    I think a lesson learned and your chances maybe zero to none with none
    leading.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Dugie

    Biffo Guest

    http://www.mirider.com/ntaccess.html
    However it is expensive,email me at and i may be
    able to help you..

    Biffo, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Dugie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Dugie" <> wrote in message
    >| Hello,
    >|
    >| My wife has forgotten her Admin password for her Dell laptop. It's
    >| her only account ; guest is disabled. Her OS is Win XP Pro. She made
    >| no password recovery disk - a lesson learned. :)
    >|
    >| Is there a way to keep the system intact, but find, recover, change,
    >| or get at that password?
    >|
    >| Thanks, Dugie

    Is she unable to get in at all? If so, she may be dead in the water. If she
    IS getting in, maybe she can make a new user with administrator privileges,
    copy her documents, settings, address book, email, etc., to the new account.

    Second option: data recovery before a reinstall...I use a nice little USB
    2.0 external case for laptop size hard drives (cose me less than $30). Put
    the drive in the case, plug it into another computer, copy all necessary
    files off, return the drive to the laptop, reinstall Windows, copy the data
    back via networking -- or put the drive back in the USB one more time ;)

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Dugie

    Biffo Guest

    Hello,

    My wife has forgotten her Admin password for her Dell laptop. It's her only
    account ; guest is disabled.
    Her OS is Win XP Pro. She made no password recovery disk - a lesson learned.
    :)

    Is there a way to keep the system intact, but find, recover, change, or get
    at that password?

    Thanks, Dugie

    I have sent an attachment to you i assume removing nospam from your addy
    allows posting.

    Biffo, Aug 7, 2004
  6. Dugie wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > My wife has forgotten her Admin password for her Dell laptop. It's her
    > only account ; guest is disabled. Her OS is Win XP Pro. She made no
    > password recovery disk - a lesson learned. :)
    >
    > Is there a way to keep the system intact, but find, recover, change, or
    > get at that password?

    Got a really nice XP-PE CD with much good stuff on it, including locksmith
    to reset passwords. It allows booting from CD, recover all available data,
    even network the computer running from this "XP live-cd", and burn a backup
    when a burner is available. It's a great tool.
    However, google for "locksmith".
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8-rc2-bk9pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]

    Walter Mautner, Aug 7, 2004
  7. Dugie

    Unk Guest

    Unk, Aug 7, 2004
  8. Dugie

    DC Guest

    Biffo wrote:

    [top posting fixed]

    > "Dugie" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,

    >> My wife has forgotten her Admin password for her Dell laptop. It's her
    >> only account ; guest is disabled.
    >> Her OS is Win XP Pro. She made no password recovery disk - a lesson
    >> learned. :)

    >> Is there a way to keep the system intact, but find, recover, change, or
    >> get at that password?

    > http://www.mirider.com/ntaccess.html
    > However it is expensive,email me at and i may be
    > able to help you..

    Keep the discussion here so everyone can benefit from it.

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/mail-responses.html
    http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?emailreply

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 8, 2004
  9. Dugie

    DC Guest

    Biffo wrote:
    > Hello,

    > My wife has forgotten her Admin password for her Dell laptop. It's her only
    > account ; guest is disabled.
    > Her OS is Win XP Pro. She made no password recovery disk - a lesson learned.
    >:)

    > Is there a way to keep the system intact, but find, recover, change, or get
    > at that password?

    > Thanks, Dugie

    > I have sent an attachment to you i assume removing nospam from your addy
    > allows posting.

    ....and learn to quote, fer chrissakes.

    http://home.online.no/~shughes/a57998/quote.html#001a

    You're using OE. It's designed so that an idiot can use it. Are you up
    to the challenge?

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    DC, Aug 8, 2004
  10. Dugie

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "DC" <> wrote in message
    >| Biffo wrote:
    >| > Hello,
    >|
    >| > My wife has forgotten her Admin password for her Dell laptop. It's
    >| > her only account ; guest is disabled.
    >| > Her OS is Win XP Pro. She made no password recovery disk - a
    >| >lesson learned. :)
    >|
    >| > Is there a way to keep the system intact, but find, recover,
    >| > change, or get at that password?
    >|
    >| > Thanks, Dugie
    >|
    >| > I have sent an attachment to you i assume removing nospam from
    >| > your addy allows posting.
    >|

    >| ...and learn to quote, fer chrissakes.
    >|
    >| http://home.online.no/~shughes/a57998/quote.html#001a
    >| http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
    >| http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting.html
    >|

    >| You're using OE. It's designed so that an idiot can use it. Are
    >| you up to the challenge?

    obviously not ;)

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Aug 8, 2004
  11. Dugie

    Barry OGrady Guest

    "Dugie" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,

    > My wife has forgotten her Admin password for her Dell laptop. It's her
    > only account ; guest is disabled.
    > Her OS is Win XP Pro. She made no password recovery disk - a lesson
    > learned. :)

    > Is there a way to keep the system intact, but find, recover, change, or
    > get at that password?

    I have a self booting CD that can be used to remove the admin password.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Aug 8, 2004
  12. Howdy!

    "Dugie" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My wife has forgotten her Admin password for her Dell laptop. It's her

    only account ; guest is disabled.
    > Her OS is Win XP Pro. She made no password recovery disk - a lesson

    learned. :)

    > Is there a way to keep the system intact, but find, recover, change, or

    get at that password?

    I presume you've got another machine to use, since you're posting
    here.

    Google for "NTFS Password Reset" and see what pops out.

    Hint: I do this about once a week for customers.

    No guarantee - you CAN blow the file system right out with the
    utilities Google turns up. I've never done that YET ...

    Second hint: Clear the password so it doesn't need one, go in and
    reset the password.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 8, 2004