    in circles and finding things that don't quite answer this. And I think I've
    read that Windows 7 (and Vista?) install discs can install the 64-bit or
    32-bit version as desired.
    M.V., Jan 13, 2010

  2. The x64 XP Pro cannot install 32-bit XP. It is only 64-bit.

    You will have to use your XP Home.

    Windows 7 and Vista have separate 32 and 64 bit installation disks. It
    is usually possible to use the same product key for both 32 and 64 bit
    versions.

    Dominic Payer, Jan 13, 2010

  3. If you want to run the 32 bit and 64 bit version of ANY Microsoft operating
    system you need a valid - and separate - license/KEY for each operating
    system.

    Try using the same key and you will find one, or the other, showing up as
    not a valid license.

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Jan 13, 2010
  4. M.V.

    M.V. Guest

    Thanks, that covered it!

    I figured it would at best be a case of being able to use the license/key
    for one or the other, but not both at the same time. The more I'd thought
    about this today the more I was hoping it might be a case where I could
    remove the 64-bit for now and just use a 32-bit install from it.

    So I'll just wipe the 64-bit Pro, dig out my other 32-bit Home to install,
    then add the 64-bit later onto another partition when I'm ready to work with
    it again.

    I don't technically need the extra functionality from the 64-bit OS, it's
    just what my friend got me to put into the system.

    M.V., Jan 13, 2010