    ian field Guest

    Does hibernate do a complete shutdown?

    TIA.

    ian field, Mar 20, 2010

  2. ian field

    meerkat Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in message
    news:0Y9pn.51931$2...
    > Does hibernate do a complete shutdown?
    >
    > TIA.

    No. it saves the current state of your system, an then
    goes into suspended animation.

    bw..

    meerkat, Mar 20, 2010

  3. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > "ian field" <> wrote in message
    >> Does hibernate do a complete shutdown?
    >>
    >> TIA.

    > No. it saves the current state of your system, an then
    > goes into suspended animation.
    >
    > bw..

    Is there a patch to add shutdown to the power management options?

    I'm using Filezilla to download stuff overnight and I'd like the PC to
    switch off when the application ceases activity.

    Xnews has "shutdown on idle" which does exactly what I want - if Filezilla
    has one too, I haven't found it yet!

    ian field, Mar 20, 2010
  4. ian field

    chuckcar Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in

    > "meerkat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ian field" <> wrote in message
    >>> Does hibernate do a complete shutdown?
    >>>
    >>> TIA.

    >> No. it saves the current state of your system, an then
    >> goes into suspended animation.
    >>
    >> bw..
    >>

    > Is there a patch to add shutdown to the power management options?
    >
    > I'm using Filezilla to download stuff overnight and I'd like the PC to
    > switch off when the application ceases activity.

    How will you know when the computer is idle?

    Get a program package that *tells* the computer to shut down. Or get a
    better OS. Linux can do that easily:

    -------------cut here----------------
    #
    !/bin/bash

    begin: cat /proc/loadavg &> la
    sed -f laprocess la
    if ( $(< la) = "0" )
    shutdown
    else
    goto begin
    --------------cut here----------------

    Which: checks how busy the computer is, if no user tasks are currently
    running, it shuts down.

    http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/bash1.html

    http://www.linuxcommand.org/man_pages/sed1.html

    Bash and sed *do* run under any version of MS operating system since 5.0
    BTW. However loadaverage is only available *in* linux or other unices.

    Run as root. I'll leave the sed script for something you to do. I has to
    return *only* the first full number (truncating decimal places) from
    /proc/loadavg (they're separated by spaces)

    > Xnews has "shutdown on idle" which does exactly what I want - if
    > Filezilla has one too, I haven't found it yet!

    Try Bitlord. Far superior. You *might* be locked out of *some* p2p
    torrents with it, but I run into that very rarely now.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 20, 2010
  5. ian field

    chuckcar Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in

    > Does hibernate do a complete shutdown?

    No, it stores RAM to the hard drive and turns the computer off. When the
    computer is turned on again, the resulting hard drive file is read into
    memory again and the computer is simply turned on in that state. This
    results in it being *exactly* like it was when it was put into hibernate.
    The only differences between this and standby is a) the computer isn't
    running and using power the whole time and b) Your memory contents is
    guaranteed *identical* to the start.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 20, 2010
  6. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > "ian field" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Does hibernate do a complete shutdown?
    >>

    > No, it stores RAM to the hard drive and turns the computer off. When the
    > computer is turned on again, the resulting hard drive file is read into
    > memory again and the computer is simply turned on in that state. This
    > results in it being *exactly* like it was when it was put into hibernate.
    > The only differences between this and standby is a) the computer isn't
    > running and using power the whole time and b) Your memory contents is
    > guaranteed *identical* to the start.

    So the PSU switches off?

    ian field, Mar 20, 2010
  7. ian field

    VanguardLH Guest

    ian field wrote:

    > Does hibernate do a complete shutdown?

    As regards power,hibernation consumes the same amount of power as when you
    power down your host. For ATX-style hosts (for over a decade), the power
    switch is not connected to the PSU (power supply unit). It instead goes to
    the motherboard to trigger the power-on circuitry there. When powered down,
    the PSU (if still plugged into the wall or an external backside power switch
    on the PSU is not off) will continue to supply 5V standby power to the
    motherboard for the ps-on circuitry. So whether in hibernation or off
    modes, the PSU is still providing some power to the motherboard.
    Hibernation is just like powering off your host (after saving the contents
    of RAM).

    Hibernation saves a copy of memory (RAM) into a hard disk file
    (hiberfil.sys). Then hibernation powers off your host just the same as if
    you had powered it off. There is no difference in power consumption in
    power-off mode than for hibernation mode. When the host is next powered up,
    the OS will use the hiberfil.sys file to put back the contents of memory and
    you are back to the same state you were before going into hibernation.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernation_(computing)

    Your computer consumes no more and no less power in hibernation (S4 mode)
    than it does when you power it off (G2/S5 mode).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

    VanguardLH, Mar 20, 2010
  8. ian field

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 22:54:19 -0000, ian field wrote:

    >"chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "ian field" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Does hibernate do a complete shutdown?
    >>>

    >> No, it stores RAM to the hard drive and turns the computer off. When the
    >> computer is turned on again, the resulting hard drive file is read into
    >> memory again and the computer is simply turned on in that state. This

    <snip>

    >So the PSU switches off?

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windows xp hibernate suspend mode differences

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windows xp power management

    1st 4 hits are Microsoft articles,
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=explain windows xp power management

    Me

    why?, Mar 21, 2010
  9. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > ian field wrote:
    >
    >> Does hibernate do a complete shutdown?

    > As regards power,hibernation consumes the same amount of power as when you
    > power down your host. For ATX-style hosts (for over a decade), the power
    > switch is not connected to the PSU (power supply unit). It instead goes
    > the motherboard to trigger the power-on circuitry there. When powered
    > down,
    > the PSU (if still plugged into the wall or an external backside power
    > switch
    > on the PSU is not off) will continue to supply 5V standby power to the
    > motherboard for the ps-on circuitry. So whether in hibernation or off
    > modes, the PSU is still providing some power to the motherboard.

    Yes I knew that - I used to service ATX PSUs for a living

    > Hibernation is just like powering off your host (after saving the contents
    > of RAM).

    Thats close enough - it shuts down.

    Saving everything wasn't my prime concern, I just wanted the lowest possible
    power consumption if an overnight download job completed before morning.

    ian field, Mar 21, 2010
  10. ian field

    VanguardLH Guest

    ian field wrote:

    > VanguardLH wrote ...
    >
    >> ian field wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does hibernate do a complete shutdown?

    >> As regards power,hibernation consumes the same amount of power as when you
    >> power down your host. For ATX-style hosts (for over a decade), the power
    >> switch is not connected to the PSU (power supply unit). It instead goes
    >> the motherboard to trigger the power-on circuitry there. When powered
    >> down,
    >> the PSU (if still plugged into the wall or an external backside power
    >> switch
    >> on the PSU is not off) will continue to supply 5V standby power to the
    >> motherboard for the ps-on circuitry. So whether in hibernation or off
    >> modes, the PSU is still providing some power to the motherboard.

    > Yes I knew that - I used to service ATX PSUs for a living

    Which you made no mention in your overly terse post. If we were to assume
    everything of which you possibly already knew then we would also assume you
    already knew the answer to your question. Know one else knows the context
    of your question unless you give it.

    Odd that one who supposed worked on ATX PSUs would know about the various
    power modes afforded by the OS, especially considering that you would have
    had to understand what pin 20 (PS-ON) was used for and why the 5V standby
    line was still active during "powered off" state.

    >> Hibernation is just like powering off your host (after saving the contents
    >> of RAM).

    > Thats close enough - it shuts down.

    Except that users will see "shutdown" as what happens to the OS state, not
    the power state. You can shutdown the OS without powering off the host.
    Respondents here had to guess that you really meant the power state of the
    host.

    > Saving everything wasn't my prime concern, I just wanted the lowest possible
    > power consumption if an overnight download job completed before morning.

    Then why wait until the host goes into hibernation based on an idle timer in
    Power Options? Why not have the host shutdown and power down immediately?
    Since you don't care about hibernation (to resume to host in the same state
    but instead reboot the host and load the OS anew), just use a batch file to
    run your program and then shutdown Windows and power off the host. In the
    batch file, run the command:

    shutdown.exe /c

    Or were our assumption still not sufficient to know that you already knew
    this too? You would've have served yourself better by asking your real
    question rather than use subterfuge.

    VanguardLH, Mar 21, 2010
  11. ian field

    > ian field wrote:
    >
    >> VanguardLH wrote ...

    >>> As regards power,hibernation consumes the same amount of power as when
    >>> you
    >>> power down your host. For ATX-style hosts (for over a decade), the
    >>> power
    >>> switch is not connected to the PSU (power supply unit). It instead goes
    >>> the motherboard to trigger the power-on circuitry there. When powered
    >>> down,
    >>> the PSU (if still plugged into the wall or an external backside power
    >>> switch
    >>> on the PSU is not off) will continue to supply 5V standby power to the
    >>> motherboard for the ps-on circuitry. So whether in hibernation or off
    >>> modes, the PSU is still providing some power to the motherboard.

    >> Yes I knew that - I used to service ATX PSUs for a living

    > Which you made no mention in your overly terse post. If we were to assume
    > everything of which you possibly already knew then we would also assume
    > you
    > already knew the answer to your question. Know one else knows the context
    > of your question unless you give it.
    >
    > Odd that one who supposed worked on ATX PSUs would know about the various
    > power modes afforded by the OS, especially considering that you would have
    > had to understand what pin 20 (PS-ON) was used for and why the 5V standby
    > line was still active during "powered off" state.
    >
    >>> Hibernation is just like powering off your host (after saving the
    >>> contents
    >>> of RAM).

    >> Thats close enough - it shuts down.

    > Except that users will see "shutdown" as what happens to the OS state, not
    > the power state. You can shutdown the OS without powering off the host.
    > Respondents here had to guess that you really meant the power state of the
    > host.
    >
    >> Saving everything wasn't my prime concern, I just wanted the lowest
    >> possible
    >> power consumption if an overnight download job completed before morning.

    > Then why wait until the host goes into hibernation based on an idle timer
    > in
    > Power Options? Why not have the host shutdown and power down immediately?
    > Since you don't care about hibernation (to resume to host in the same
    > state
    > but instead reboot the host and load the OS anew), just use a batch file
    > run your program and then shutdown Windows and power off the host. In the
    > batch file, run the command:
    >
    > shutdown.exe /c
    >
    > Or were our assumption still not sufficient to know that you already knew
    > this too? You would've have served yourself better by asking your real
    > question rather than use subterfuge.

    All I wanted to know, was which power management option switched off the
    PSU - I didn't expect anyone to make a federal case of it!!!

    ian field, Mar 21, 2010
  12. ian field

    chuckcar Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "ian field" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Does hibernate do a complete shutdown?
    >>>

    >> No, it stores RAM to the hard drive and turns the computer off. When
    >> the computer is turned on again, the resulting hard drive file is
    >> read into memory again and the computer is simply turned on in that
    >> state. This results in it being *exactly* like it was when it was put
    >> into hibernate. The only differences between this and standby is a)
    >> the computer isn't running and using power the whole time and b) Your
    >> memory contents is guaranteed *identical* to the start.

    > So the PSU switches off?

    Absolutely.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 21, 2010
  13. Evan Platt wrote:

    > "nobody >" wrote:
    >> Don't know much about ATX power supplies, do you....
    >>
    >> As usual Chuckie blows it again.

    > Chucktard doesn't know much about anything.
    >
    > And notice, he's given up on trying to backpedal recently? He just
    > knows he can't anymore.

    I've noticed. I think he got so tired of responding to every outting
    that he is just KFing everyone who catches him.

    I don't care if he killfiles me .. at least the OPs would see it.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 21, 2010
  14. ian field

    Bosco

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Useful Software

    Hi there,

    You might want to try a program like wasteshield. Just disable windows power management and set your bandwidth limit in the program. They do a 15 day trial which might help.

    Hope this helps.

    Bosco, Mar 26, 2010