Win XP Outlook Express question about file attachment Open warnings

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jerry Rivers, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    I am running Win XP Pro and use Outlook Express as my mail
    client and also as a news reader.

    Frequently, E-mail comes to me with a file attachment,
    usually a JPG image file. And, I often read news group posts
    with JPG attachments.

    When I click on an E-mail or news group attachment icon, then
    click on the JPG file name, Outlook Express pops up a warning
    dialog box asking me if I want to Open or Save the JPG file.
    Until this morning, if I chose Open, Paint Shop Pro 8, which
    is associated to JPG files, would start up and automatically
    open the file.

    But suddenlly this morning, I am getting a *second* warning
    dialog box telling me that the file I want to Open may
    contain malicious data. I am given a choice of Open or
    Cancel. If I choose Open, Paint Shop Pro opens the JPG as
    before.

    Why all of a sudden did this second warning dialog box start
    to pop up? I have made *no* changes to my Internet Explorer
    or Outlook Express security or privacy setting since
    installing Win XP last week and setting up my mail and news
    accounts.

    I *want* the first warning dialog box to appear so I have a
    choice of Open or Save. But I do *not* want to be bothered
    confirming that I *really* want to Open the file.

    How can I make the second warning go away? What setting(s) in
    Windows or Explorer or wherever need to be changed.

    Thanks for your help.

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Jerry Rivers

    Harrison Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:34:13 -0600, Jerry Rivers
    <> wrote:

    >I am running Win XP Pro and use Outlook Express as my mail
    >client and also as a news reader.
    >
    >Frequently, E-mail comes to me with a file attachment,
    >usually a JPG image file. And, I often read news group posts
    >with JPG attachments.
    >
    >When I click on an E-mail or news group attachment icon, then
    >click on the JPG file name, Outlook Express pops up a warning
    >dialog box asking me if I want to Open or Save the JPG file.
    >Until this morning, if I chose Open, Paint Shop Pro 8, which
    >is associated to JPG files, would start up and automatically
    >open the file.
    >
    >But suddenlly this morning, I am getting a *second* warning
    >dialog box telling me that the file I want to Open may
    >contain malicious data. I am given a choice of Open or
    >Cancel. If I choose Open, Paint Shop Pro opens the JPG as
    >before.

    >Why all of a sudden did this second warning dialog box start
    >to pop up? I have made *no* changes to my Internet Explorer
    >or Outlook Express security or privacy setting since
    >installing Win XP last week and setting up my mail and news
    >accounts.
    >I *want* the first warning dialog box to appear so I have a
    >choice of Open or Save. But I do *not* want to be bothered
    >confirming that I *really* want to Open the file.
    >
    >How can I make the second warning go away? What setting(s) in
    >Windows or Explorer or wherever need to be changed.

    Since this has just begun in the last day or so, use the System
    Restore utility to roll back your system to a previous date and time.
    Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

    Having JPEGs open with PSP is fine, but it's a bit of weighty program
    to simply view the files. XP comes with a nice viewer which includes a
    great printing wizard. It's light and fast.
    It's called the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
    If you wish to re-assosicate JPEGs with it, use Tools>Folder Options>
    File Types and look for the JPG - JPEG settings.

    Harrison, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    Thanks for the advice about System Restore, but I turned that
    off right after I installed XP on the advice of Windows
    experts that said it was unreliable and unnecessary overhead.

    As to PSP 8 for file attachments, I use it for more than just
    a quick view. I'm aware of the FAX and Picture Viewer but
    prefer PSP 8.

    Back to the original problem, how can I get rid of the second
    Open warning dialog box? I can't find anything anywhere that
    even mentions it.

    Thanks again.

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Harrison <Harrison> wrote in

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 4, 2004
  4. Jerry Rivers

    Harrison Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 13:56:47 -0600, Jerry Rivers
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the advice about System Restore, but I turned that
    >off right after I installed XP on the advice of Windows
    >experts that said it was unreliable and unnecessary overhead

    I wouldn't call them experts. System Restore is a very useful tool and
    the overhead is minimal on today's larger drives.

    >As to PSP 8 for file attachments, I use it for more than just
    >a quick view. I'm aware of the FAX and Picture Viewer but
    >prefer PSP 8.
    >
    >Back to the original problem, how can I get rid of the second
    >Open warning dialog box? I can't find anything anywhere that
    >even mentions it.

    System Restore was my best shot, but it looks like the "experts" have
    made that a non-option.
    You may want to reconsider that one and turn System restore back on.

    Harrison, Jan 4, 2004
  5. Jerry Rivers

    trout Guest

    Jerry Rivers wrote:

    > I am running Win XP Pro and use Outlook Express as my mail
    > client and also as a news reader.
    >
    > Frequently, E-mail comes to me with a file attachment,
    > usually a JPG image file. And, I often read news group posts
    > with JPG attachments.
    >
    > When I click on an E-mail or news group attachment icon, then
    > click on the JPG file name, Outlook Express pops up a warning
    > dialog box asking me if I want to Open or Save the JPG file.
    > Until this morning, if I chose Open, Paint Shop Pro 8, which
    > is associated to JPG files, would start up and automatically
    > open the file.
    >
    > But suddenlly this morning, I am getting a *second* warning
    > dialog box telling me that the file I want to Open may
    > contain malicious data. I am given a choice of Open or
    > Cancel. If I choose Open, Paint Shop Pro opens the JPG as
    > before.
    >
    > Why all of a sudden did this second warning dialog box start
    > to pop up? I have made *no* changes to my Internet Explorer
    > or Outlook Express security or privacy setting since
    > installing Win XP last week and setting up my mail and news
    > accounts.
    >
    > I *want* the first warning dialog box to appear so I have a
    > choice of Open or Save. But I do *not* want to be bothered
    > confirming that I *really* want to Open the file.
    >
    > How can I make the second warning go away? What setting(s) in
    > Windows or Explorer or wherever need to be changed.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > -- Jerry Rivers

    You are sure this is an OE warning? (Sounds like what I get from my
    firewall's 'download protection'.)
    You may want to check the settings of other
    security/anti-virus/firewall programs you may have.
    --
    "Particularly anything that could have 'auto-updated'."

    trout, Jan 5, 2004
  6. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    Hi, trout. (can I call you trout?)

    I don't have a firewall on my system other than what comes
    with XP Pro. And, until this morning, everything worked as I
    expected and how I want it to.

    If you would please send your E-mail address to
    , I'll send you a screen shot of what
    I'm seeing.

    Thanks for your help.

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 5, 2004
  7. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    Hi, Harrison.

    re: the "experts" aren't very expert when it comes to
    advising me to turn off System Restore.

    One of the "experts" is my nephew who has considerable
    Windows experience. The other place I saw this was at
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm. I believe I
    first saw this link somewhere in this news group for help on
    another XP problem. I've seen other places in various news
    groups on computer help all advising *not* to use System
    Restore. I don't know.

    I suppose I could have caused this somehow with some software
    I recently installed. I uninstalled everything new since I
    started seeing the problem but it didn't help.

    I also ran Spy Bot, Ad Aware and Norton Win Doctor. Plus, I
    did a manual reinstall of Outlook Express. Nothing helped.
    This problem is embedded in my O/S I'm afraid, because even
    if I create a new user account and set up mail and news group
    access, the new account gets the same double warning message.

    If you would send your E-mail address to
    , I'll send you a screen shot of what
    I'm seeing.

    Short of a system roll-back, which isn't an option, do you
    have any other suggestions? My system is not dead, I can
    still open attachments. I am just extremely annoyed at the
    double warning and I'm frustrated that I can't find a
    solution.

    Thanks for trying to help me.

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 5, 2004
  8. Jerry Rivers

    Boomer Guest

    Jerry Rivers, <> wrote:

    > Hi, trout. (can I call you trout?)
    >
    > I don't have a firewall on my system other than what comes
    > with XP Pro. And, until this morning, everything worked as I
    > expected and how I want it to.
    >
    > If you would please send your E-mail address to
    > , I'll send you a screen shot of what
    > I'm seeing.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > -- Jerry Rivers

    Did you check your anti-virus and security settings, like trout
    suggested?

    You might want to post the image (if someone wants to see it) at a
    binaries group rather tham asking people to e-mail you.

    Boomer, Jan 5, 2004
  9. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    Boomer <> wrote in

    > Jerry Rivers, <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, trout. (can I call you trout?)
    >>
    >> I don't have a firewall on my system other than what comes
    >> with XP Pro. And, until this morning, everything worked as
    >> I expected and how I want it to.
    >>
    >> If you would please send your E-mail address to
    >> , I'll send you a screen shot of
    >> what I'm seeing.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >>
    >> -- Jerry Rivers

    > Did you check your anti-virus and security settings, like
    > trout suggested?
    >
    > You might want to post the image (if someone wants to see
    > it) at a binaries group rather tham asking people to e-mail
    > you.
    >

    >> "trout" <> wrote in

    >>> You are sure this is an OE warning? (Sounds like what
    >>> I get from my
    >>> firewall's 'download protection'.)
    >>> You may want to check the settings of other
    >>> security/anti-virus/firewall programs you may have.

    Yes, you're right about posting to a binaries news group. I did
    just that - see my special post about where to look for the
    screen shots of what I am seeing.

    BTW, I have tried turning off Norton Anti-Virus Auto Protect and
    still have the problem. I checked my network connections and I
    do *not* have XP's firewall turned on.

    See my screen shot - maybe that'll give you a clue as to what is
    happening here.

    Thanks.

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 5, 2004
  10. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    I have posted a screen shot of the normal Outlook Express
    "ask before opening" dialog box and the new Download warning
    dialog box I started seeing this morning.

    This screen shot is posted to alt.binaries.pictures under my
    name with the subject "*** Win XP Outlook Express attachment
    Open Warning Box ***"

    I hope one of you who really are Win XP experts will be able
    to repair whatever damage has been done to my system.

    Thank you all for your attempts so far to help me.

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 5, 2004
  11. Jerry Rivers

    trout Guest

    Jerry Rivers wrote:

    > I have posted a screen shot of the normal Outlook Express
    > "ask before opening" dialog box and the new Download warning
    > dialog box I started seeing this morning.
    >
    > This screen shot is posted to alt.binaries.pictures under my
    > name with the subject "*** Win XP Outlook Express attachment
    > Open Warning Box ***"
    >
    > I hope one of you who really are Win XP experts will be able
    > to repair whatever damage has been done to my system.
    >
    > Thank you all for your attempts so far to help me.
    >
    > -- Jerry Rivers

    I see what you mean. It *does* look like it's being generated by OE;
    but it's nothing I've seen before; which leads me to believe it's an XP
    thing. Sorry; that, I can't help with.
    I *can* mention that the usual way of showing a screen shot this way
    is a lot easier if you use the message ID from the headers of the post.
    Putting "news:" in front of the ID gives a 'clickable' link:
    which may make it easier to get help.
    And; if I may toss my 2 pennies at the *other* bone of contention in
    the thread; I've usually seen it argued that the System Restore *should*
    be used; as long as the number of restore points are limited, to save
    space.
    Sorry I can't be of more help with the original question, though.
    --
    "Good luck."

    trout, Jan 5, 2004
  12. Jerry Rivers

    trout Guest

    Jerry Rivers wrote:

    > I have posted a screen shot of the normal Outlook Express
    > "ask before opening" dialog box and the new Download warning
    > dialog box I started seeing this morning.
    >
    > This screen shot is posted to alt.binaries.pictures under my
    > name with the subject "*** Win XP Outlook Express attachment
    > Open Warning Box ***"
    >
    > I hope one of you who really are Win XP experts will be able
    > to repair whatever damage has been done to my system.
    >
    > Thank you all for your attempts so far to help me.
    >
    > -- Jerry Rivers

    Oh, and by the way.... you *have* tried unchecking the 'always ask'
    box on that warning, I assume?
    --
    "Sorry. Gotta ask."

    trout, Jan 5, 2004
  13. Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers Guest

    "trout" <> wrote in

    > Jerry Rivers wrote:
    >
    >> I have posted a screen shot of the normal Outlook Express
    >> "ask before opening" dialog box and the new Download
    >> warning dialog box I started seeing this morning.
    >>
    >> This screen shot is posted to alt.binaries.pictures under
    >> my name with the subject "*** Win XP Outlook Express
    >> attachment Open Warning Box ***"
    >>
    >> I hope one of you who really are Win XP experts will be
    >> able to repair whatever damage has been done to my system.
    >>
    >> Thank you all for your attempts so far to help me.
    >>
    >> -- Jerry Rivers

    > Oh, and by the way.... you *have* tried unchecking the
    > 'always ask'
    > box on that warning, I assume?

    Yes, I have tried unchecking the "ask before opening" box.
    All that gets me is avoiding the first dialog box but I still
    get the warning message.

    BTW, in another news group I've gotten responses from three
    people who've seen this warning message. Two said it comes
    and goes and the third thought they thought it was a
    worthwhile XP feature! Go figure!

    -- Jerry Rivers

    Jerry Rivers, Jan 6, 2004