    word processing on it.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    Greg, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Greg

    °Mike° Guest

    With a 6GB hard drive, only 128MB of RAM and
    using it only for word processing ... stick to Win98SE.

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 14:34:00 -0600, in
    <>
    Greg scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 20, 2005

  3. Greg

    Jerry G. Guest

    With your machine, you are better off to stick with Win98. XP is too much of
    a toll for your machine!

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Jan 20, 2005
  4. Greg

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in message
    |I have an old dell inspiron 7000 laptop. It has a 6 gig drive and 128 meg
    of
    | ram. I installed XP Home on it and it ran like a slug. Pounding the hard
    | drive. I formatted the drive as NTFS. Would it have been better to format
    it
    | as fat32 instead? Would that make a difference? I removed XP off of it and
    | am putting Win98 SE on it instead. It is for my wife. She just wants to do
    | word processing on it.

    The *fastest* processor Dell put in the 7000 was 300MHz...yours could be
    significantly less...not NEAR enough 'horsepower' for XP unless you really
    shove a bunch of RAM into it. But that system probably won't recognise 256
    or 512 meg RAM sticks (only room for two), so you really won't get it up to
    speed for XP.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 21, 2005