Win XP not recognizing new USB external (internal in case) drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Keith Carlson, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. Hope someone can help me with this. I searched the group on google, found a
    lot of posts on external drives, etc., but not the situation I'm running
    into.

    I have a Seagate 300GB internal HD that I bought new (Ultra ATA/100, 7200
    RPM, 8MB cache, 3.5" drive for PC or Mac. -not sure if this is helpful, but
    I'll try to give as much info as I can).

    I mounted this drive in a CompUSA external drive enclosure. The enclosure
    via IEEE 1394 or USB 2.0. Also says it's backward-compatible with USB 1.1.
    Says it accomodates any 3.5" drive.
    This requires Windows 98SE, ME, 2K or XP. I have Win XP Home (Version 2002,
    Serv Pack 2).
    I followed the instructions, which doesn't take much, set the jumper on the
    drive to Master, connected parallel cable and power cable (and have since
    opened the enclosure and double-checked that these are connected firmly).
    Instructions said the drivers were needed only for Win 98SE, so I've
    installed no special drivers for this.

    The PC is a Sony Vaio with 1.8GHz P4, 256MB RAM. The computer is pre-USB
    2.0, but I added a PCI card in it that gives it 2 USB 2.0 ports in the back.

    So much for the specs and the background. Here's the deal: When I plug in
    the external enclosure, connect the USB cable, and power it up, Windows
    doesn't seem to know that the drive is there. I don't see it in Windows
    Explorer, or if I right-click on My Computer, Manage, Disk Management. The
    latter is where the external drive's instructions tell me to go to format
    the drive. It's not listed there, though.

    I can hear the drive spinning, and the red light on the front of the
    enclosure is on steady. The green light is flashing (actually seems like a
    sequence - 6 flashes about 1 sec apart, then a 2 sec pause, then 6 again).

    I tried different USB ports front, back, the original ones, and the USB 2.0
    ports on the card. No difference with any of them. If I plug my mp3 player
    into any of these ports, it's recognized immediately as drive H: So the USB
    connections appear to be okay.

    After not having any luck with this, I took it to a CompUSA service desk.
    They connected it to a PC, using the USB cable I brought with, and it came
    right up on their PC. The tech said it just needed to be formatted, so he
    did that. Brought the drive home, connected it, and I have the same
    situation! It wasn't the unformatted drive that kept it from being
    recognized, which make sense because according to the instructions, I had to
    see the drive to select it to format it.

    So... the hard drive and the enclosure seem to work fine, based on
    connecting it to the CompUSA PC. My USB connections on my PC seem to be
    okay. The enclosure powers up. I've tried to narrow it down as much as I
    can, and I'm stumped.

    Help if you can! I need this drive to start recording my old LPs to
    digital.
    Thanks!

    Keith Carlson, Jan 21, 2006

  2. Keith Carlson

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:4yvAf.504462$084.168234@attbi_s22,
    Keith Carlson spewed forth:
> [...]
    > drive H: So the USB connections appear to be okay.
    >
    > After not having any luck with this, I took it to a CompUSA service
    > desk. They connected it to a PC, using the USB cable I brought with,
    > and it came right up on their PC. The tech said it just needed to be
    > formatted, so he did that. Brought the drive home, connected it, and
    > I have the same situation! It wasn't the unformatted drive that kept
    > it from being recognized, which make sense because according to the
    > instructions, I had to see the drive to select it to format it.
    >
    > So... the hard drive and the enclosure seem to work fine, based on
    > connecting it to the CompUSA PC. My USB connections on my PC seem to
    > be okay. The enclosure powers up. I've tried to narrow it down as
    > much as I can, and I'm stumped.
    >
    > Help if you can! I need this drive to start recording my old LPs to

    First thing to check is in Device Manager, see if your new USB ports are
    correctly identified. Also, if there are any "unknown devices" listed under
    the USB heading, delete them and reboot.

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 21, 2006

  3. Keith Carlson

    old jon Guest

    "Keith Carlson" <> wrote in message
    > Hope someone can help me with this. I searched the group on google, found
    > a lot of posts on external drives, etc., but not the situation I'm running
    > into.
    >
    > I have a Seagate 300GB internal HD that I bought new (Ultra ATA/100, 7200
    > RPM, 8MB cache, 3.5" drive for PC or Mac. -not sure if this is helpful,
    > but I'll try to give as much info as I can).

    You did install the software for the PCI USB2 card ?.
    Go into Device Manager and see if you have Enhanced USB controller
    listed. Any exclamation marks ?.

    --
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Jan 21, 2006
  4. "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Keith Carlson" <> wrote in message
    >> Hope someone can help me with this. I searched the group on google, found
    >> a lot of posts on external drives, etc., but not the situation I'm
    >> running into.
    >>
    >> I have a Seagate 300GB internal HD that I bought new (Ultra ATA/100, 7200
    >> RPM, 8MB cache, 3.5" drive for PC or Mac. -not sure if this is helpful,
    >> but I'll try to give as much info as I can).
    >>

    > You did install the software for the PCI USB2 card ?.
    > Go into Device Manager and see if you have Enhanced USB controller
    > listed. Any exclamation marks ?.
    >
    > --
    > bw..OJ

    It's been a while since I installed the USB2.0 card, so I don't remember the
    software (I'm tempted to say I'll assume I installed any software that came
    with it).
    But all the USB devices in device manager say they're working properly.
    There are 5 controllers listed and 5 Root Hubs listed. I believe the one I
    installed is the one listed as "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host
    Controller". It's also working properly.

    Keith Carlson, Jan 21, 2006
  5. Keith Carlson

    Budweiser Guest

    > "old jon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Keith Carlson" <> wrote in
    >> message news:4yvAf.504462$084.168234@attbi_s22...
    >>> Hope someone can help me with this. I searched the group on google,
    >>> found a lot of posts on external drives, etc., but not the situation
    >>> I'm running into.
    >>>
    >>> I have a Seagate 300GB internal HD that I bought new (Ultra ATA/100,
    >>> 7200 RPM, 8MB cache, 3.5" drive for PC or Mac. -not sure if this is
    >>> helpful, but I'll try to give as much info as I can).
    >>>

    >> You did install the software for the PCI USB2 card ?.
    >> Go into Device Manager and see if you have Enhanced USB controller
    >> listed. Any exclamation marks ?.
    >>
    >> --
    >> bw..OJ

    > It's been a while since I installed the USB2.0 card, so I don't
    > remember the software (I'm tempted to say I'll assume I installed any
    > software that came with it).
    > But all the USB devices in device manager say they're working
    > properly. There are 5 controllers listed and 5 Root Hubs listed. I
    > believe the one I installed is the one listed as "Standard Enhanced
    > PCI to USB Host Controller". It's also working properly.

    As a silly one---you have formated,or did you fdisk etc?
    have you set the partition to be active?

    Budweiser, Jan 21, 2006
  6. "Budweiser" <> wrote in message

    > "Keith Carlson" <> wrote in message
    >> "old jon" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Keith Carlson" <> wrote in message

    >>> You did install the software for the PCI USB2 card ?.
    >>> Go into Device Manager and see if you have Enhanced USB controller
    >>> listed. Any exclamation marks ?.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> bw..OJ

    >> It's been a while since I installed the USB2.0 card, so I don't remember
    >> the software (I'm tempted to say I'll assume I installed any software
    >> that came with it).
    >> But all the USB devices in device manager say they're working properly.
    >> There are 5 controllers listed and 5 Root Hubs listed. I believe the one
    >> I installed is the one listed as "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host
    >> Controller". It's also working properly.
    >>

    > As a silly one---you have formated,or did you fdisk etc?
    > have you set the partition to be active?

    Yes. At least, they formatted it at CompUSA on their PC.
    On my PC the disk doesn't show up under Computer Management / Disk
    Management. That's where the instructions say to go to format the disk. It
    didn't say anything about partitioning the disk, but I think I'd need to
    select the drive to do that. (?)

    Keith Carlson, Jan 21, 2006
  7. Keith Carlson

    Budweiser Guest

    > "Budweiser" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Keith Carlson" <> wrote in
    >> message news:wXvAf.746888$xm3.736043@attbi_s21...
    >>> "old jon" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's been a while since I installed the USB2.0 card, so I don't
    >>> remember the software (I'm tempted to say I'll assume I installed
    >>> any software that came with it).
    >>> But all the USB devices in device manager say they're working
    >>> properly. There are 5 controllers listed and 5 Root Hubs listed. I
    >>> believe the one I installed is the one listed as "Standard Enhanced
    >>> PCI to USB Host Controller". It's also working properly.
    >>>

    >> As a silly one---you have formated,or did you fdisk etc?
    >> have you set the partition to be active?

    > Yes. At least, they formatted it at CompUSA on their PC.
    > On my PC the disk doesn't show up under Computer Management / Disk
    > Management. That's where the instructions say to go to format the
    > disk. It didn't say anything about partitioning the disk, but I think
    > I'd need to select the drive to do that. (?)

    lets accept the drive works---not on your machine tho!!
    All the external drives i use have required some software to be
    installed (read device managment software) --have you run the disc for
    your box? ---i generaly use the freecom range(pre built) all of those
    require software to be installed and rights to be assigned before use.

    Budweiser, Jan 21, 2006
  8. Keith Carlson

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:anzAf.4912$ "Budweiser"
    <> wrote:

    > All the external drives i use have required some software to be
    > installed

    On XP, no external USB drive that I have used required any sort of extra
    software.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

    Bert Hyman, Jan 21, 2006
  9. Keith Carlson

    Mr_Bill Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:01:20 +0000, Keith Carlson wrote:

    > Help if you can! I need this drive to start recording my old LPs to
    > digital.
    > Thanks!

    Try using The Disk Managent tool:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/#top
    Has some instructions

    Mr_Bill

    Mr_Bill, Jan 22, 2006
  10. "Mr_Bill" <No_thanks@null_mail.org> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 19:01:20 +0000, Keith Carlson wrote:
    >
    >> Help if you can! I need this drive to start recording my old LPs to
    >> digital.
    >> Thanks!

    > Try using The Disk Managent tool:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/#top
    > Has some instructions
    >
    > Mr_Bill

    Yeah, Disk Management is what I opened to format the drive. But the drive is
    not even listed, so I can't select it to do anything with it.

    Thanks for the idea, though.

    Keith Carlson, Jan 22, 2006
  11. "Keith Carlson" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > the USB connections appear to be okay.
    >
    > After not having any luck with this, I took it to a CompUSA service desk.
    > They connected it to a PC, using the USB cable I brought with, and it came
    > right up on their PC. The tech said it just needed to be formatted, so he
    > did that. Brought the drive home, connected it, and I have the same
    > situation! It wasn't the unformatted drive that kept it from being
    > recognized, which make sense because according to the instructions, I had
    > to see the drive to select it to format it.
    >
    > So... the hard drive and the enclosure seem to work fine, based on
    > connecting it to the CompUSA PC. My USB connections on my PC seem to be
    > okay. The enclosure powers up. I've tried to narrow it down as much as I
    > can, and I'm stumped.
    >
    > Help if you can! I need this drive to start recording my old LPs to

    Figured I'd post the end of this story for anyone who might run into the
    same thing. After much running to CompUSA and having them check the external
    enclosure, and trying a different enclosure, and trying a different USB card
    in my PC, the thing that finally worked was when I installed the disk drive
    inside the PC. I was beginning to wonder if something might be wrong with
    the drive itself.

    I already had an 80GB drive in my second spot, but I took that out, put the
    new 300GB drive in its place, and put the 80GB in the CompUSA external
    enclosure. Bingo. The 300GB drive was recognized and added no problem, AND,
    the 80GB drive worked in the external enclosure!

    Somehow, it seems that the 300GB drive is not compatible with that external
    enclosure. Even though the box and instructions state "Accomodates any 3.5"
    drive", and "Supports a 3.5" drive up to 400GB".

    Live and learn. Guess I'll avoid the CompUSA house brand next time.

    Keith Carlson, Jan 30, 2006
  12. Keith Carlson

    Leythos Guest

    In article <tCgDf.763192$xm3.428026@attbi_s21>,
    says...
    > Somehow, it seems that the 300GB drive is not compatible with that external
    > enclosure. Even though the box and instructions state "Accomodates any 3.5"
    > drive", and "Supports a 3.5" drive up to 400GB".

    I've seen this happen with 4 different drives. I bought a small, self
    powered USB case for 2.5" drives and tried many different drive and none
    worked. I tried another vendors external USB external device and it
    worked with one drive and not the others.

    Strange this is that my USB/Firewire devices that come with drives
    installed work perfectly in all computers in the shop.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Jan 30, 2006