    Does anyone know how I can restore them. I have to turn off my
    computer with the power button now.

    Thanks!

    John, Apr 20, 2007

  2. John

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:20:19 -0700, John
    <> wrote:

    >Win XP Logoff Button Is Gone

    WHAT logoff button? Start, Logoff? Or some other 'button'?

    >I tried run then gpedit.msc and made sure everything is set correctly,
    >but I still do not see the logoff or shutdown buttons.

    What did you make sure was set correctly?

    Now here you say you don't have a logoff 'button' either?

    >Does anyone know how I can restore them. I have to turn off my
    >computer with the power button now.

    So what DO you have on Start? I've never seen a missing Shutdown
    option.

    Evan Platt, Apr 20, 2007

  3. John wrote:

    > Win XP Logoff Button Is Gone
    >
    > I tried run then gpedit.msc and made sure everything is set correctly,
    > but I still do not see the logoff or shutdown buttons.

    I think you mean menu choices, not buttons, right?

    In Windows 2000, right-click on an empty place on the Taskbar, choose
    Properties. Choose the Advanced tab. Tick the checkbox for Display
    Logoff. Perhaps XP is the same.

    > Does anyone know how I can restore them. I have to turn off my
    > computer with the power button now.

    That's a misteak!

    Besides, Logoff does not shut down the computer. Only ShutDown does
    that.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 20, 2007
  4. John

    Guest

    John <> wrote:

    >Win XP Logoff Button Is Gone
    >

    >I tried run then gpedit.msc and made sure everything is set correctly,
    >but I still do not see the logoff or shutdown buttons.
    >

    >Does anyone know how I can restore them. I have to turn off my
    >computer with the power button now.

    Check out http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com for help
    Google: startbutton site:http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    or something similar.

    Until you get it fixed you can

    Start | Run <type in>
    shutdown.exe -s -t 0
    <enter>

    I have an Icon in my quick launch bar that I use to shut me down using
    this command.

    Start | Run <type in>
    CMD /K shutdown /?
    <enter>

    For a complete list of switches
    --
    http://www.onahorse.com/

    , Apr 21, 2007
  5. John

    MoiMoi Guest

    In article <31bWh.335487$>,
    lid says...
    > John wrote:
    >
    > > Win XP Logoff Button Is Gone
    > >
    > > I tried run then gpedit.msc and made sure everything is set correctly,
    > > but I still do not see the logoff or shutdown buttons.

    > I think you mean menu choices, not buttons, right?
    >
    > In Windows 2000, right-click on an empty place on the Taskbar, choose
    > Properties. Choose the Advanced tab. Tick the checkbox for Display
    > Logoff. Perhaps XP is the same.

    No option to hide Logoff or Turn Off in XP Home.

    MM

    MoiMoi, Apr 21, 2007
  6. John

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 13:11:03 -0400, MoiMoi wrote:

    > In article <31bWh.335487$>,
    > lid says...
    >> John wrote:
    >>
    >> > Win XP Logoff Button Is Gone
    >> >
    >> > I tried run then gpedit.msc and made sure everything is set correctly,
    >> > but I still do not see the logoff or shutdown buttons.

    >> I think you mean menu choices, not buttons, right?
    >>
    >> In Windows 2000, right-click on an empty place on the Taskbar, choose
    >> Properties. Choose the Advanced tab. Tick the checkbox for Display
    >> Logoff. Perhaps XP is the same.

    > No option to hide Logoff or Turn Off in XP Home.
    >
    > MM

    If the OP used gpedit.msc he has XP Pro.
    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Apr 21, 2007
  7. MoiMoi wrote:

    > lid says...
    >> John wrote:
    >>
    >>> Win XP Logoff Button Is Gone
    >>>
    >>> I tried run then gpedit.msc and made sure everything is set
    >>> correctly, but I still do not see the logoff or shutdown buttons.

    >> I think you mean menu choices, not buttons, right?
    >>
    >> In Windows 2000, right-click on an empty place on the Taskbar,
    >> choose Properties. Choose the Advanced tab. Tick the checkbox for
    >> Display Logoff. Perhaps XP is the same.

    > No option to hide Logoff or Turn Off in XP Home.

    Heh, all the more reason to pro(re)gress from XP to Win2000. :)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 21, 2007