Win XP Installer starts up when I spell check in Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by All Things Mopar, Jul 14, 2005.

  1. This post is another in a series of questions I have in regard
    to the /very/ difficult un-install problem I have/had with MS
    Picture It!

    For background, Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs messed up
    something in the Registry so OE's spell check failed, which uses
    the engine from my Word 97. So, I restored my PC to the previous
    day's Restore Point and did a manual un-install of Picture It!.

    I deleted the folders on C:\ and did an extensive search of my
    Registry to find and delete /all/ traces of anything that looked
    like Picture It! Did some more stuff, but you get the idea.

    Anyway, the first time I run spell check in OE after a reboot or
    re-launch of OE, the MS Installer briefly starts up then goes
    away.

    I'm sure that there's some legacy stuff left over somewhere on
    my HD, but using Win XP Pro SP1's Search function, with all
    hidden and system files turned on, I do /not/ find anything
    related to Picture It!.

    Any ideas of what might be causing Installer to be "confused"?
    It appears to be trying to re-install Picture It! as best I can
    tell.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Jul 14, 2005

  2. All Things Mopar

    Thip Guest

    "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in message
    > This post is another in a series of questions I have in regard
    > to the /very/ difficult un-install problem I have/had with MS
    > Picture It!

    Look on MS's Web site for something called "Windows Install Clean-Up."
    Remove the offending app from the window Clean-Up shows you, and hopefully
    that will resolve your problem.
    Thip, Jul 14, 2005

  3. On this date, Thip extended this wisdom for the consideration
    of other readers...

    > "All Things Mopar" <> wrote in
    > message news:Xns969368ED51441ReplyToken@216.196.97.136...
    >> This post is another in a series of questions I have in
    >> regard to the /very/ difficult un-install problem I
    >> have/had with MS Picture It!

    > Look on MS's Web site for something called "Windows Install
    > Clean-Up." Remove the offending app from the window
    > Clean-Up shows you, and hopefully that will resolve your
    > problem.

    Thanks. After I posted this message I searched the MS KB for
    "uninstall picture it" and found the Install Clean-up utility.
    Haven't had a chance to try it, but it may fix some other
    Registry anomolies I've never gotton rid of and Norton Win
    Doctor doesn't fix either.

    --
    ATM, aka Jerry
    All Things Mopar, Jul 14, 2005