    user have a separate hosts file.
    I want to force a user to relogon under his own name by putting a
    loopback (127.0.0.0) for his fav web sites.
    Steve Robertson, May 12, 2004

  2. Steve Robertson

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 07:19:29 GMT, Steve Robertson wrote:

    > Is the WinXp hosts file shared between all users or does each
    > user have a separate hosts file.
    > I want to force a user to relogon under his own name by putting a
    > loopback (127.0.0.0) for his fav web sites.

    sorry, its shared, but you could try setting the system to auto logoff
    after a certain amount of time or something
    -[Myth]-, May 12, 2004

  3. >sorry, its shared, but you could try setting the system to auto logoff
    >after a certain amount of time or something

    Problem is the autologoff would have to be set to about 2 minutes.
    Pisses me off abit coming back to a PC with extra bogus toolbars/spyware etc.
    Steve Robertson, May 13, 2004
  4. Steve Robertson

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (Steve Robertson) wrote in news::

    > Problem is the autologoff would have to be set to about 2 minutes.
    > Pisses me off abit coming back to a PC with extra bogus
    > toolbars/spyware etc.

    What are you really trying to accomplish? Stop spyware? Take a look at
    Spyware blaster

    That and Spybot Search and Destroys host file should stop most of the
    common stuff.
    Use limited users if you can, maybe power user at most on NT, 2K, XP.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 13, 2004

  5. >That and Spybot Search and Destroys host file should stop most of the
    >common stuff.

    Never saw that option(actualy never looked, my bad) , thanks.
    Does a hosts files that big affect performance, or still faster than I can
    blink??
    Steve Robertson, May 14, 2004
  6. Steve Robertson

    Dave Taylor Guest

    (Steve Robertson) wrote in

    >>That and Spybot Search and Destroys host file should stop most of the
    >>common stuff.

    > Never saw that option(actualy never looked, my bad) , thanks.
    > Does a hosts files that big affect performance, or still faster than I
    > can blink??

    Some say it does, but I have not noticed. I think you need thousands of
    lines to affect performance. Try it and see.
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, May 16, 2004