Win XP Home keeps restarting after blue error screen

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike, Jul 26, 2004.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Good evening everyone. I just returned from a friends house where I was
    trying to help him get his computer up and running and am stumped by his
    problem and could use some assistance/opinions on the matter please and
    thank you.
    His computer keeps restarting after it gets through the Windows XP black
    message that you can't even read and it just starts rebooting itself again
    all over. His computer is rather new and he is running Win XP. I tried
    starting in safe mode, but the same thing occurs.
    Here is the kicker. Every once in a while it will actually let you log in to
    Windows from the blue login screen if you move the mouse around where you
    think your username box is and keep clicking before the error message comes
    up (rarely though). Once in, it will let you go about your business for a
    little bit before rebooting with the error message again. No device
    conflicts in the device manager either when I did get in that once. I also
    got the Windows error box on the screen with this message "The system has
    recovered from a serious error". When I clicked on details it said :

    BCCode : d1 BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
    BCP4 : F85B7C59 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1

    These files will be listed in the error report

    C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072504-23.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\sue\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

    Any help would be greatly appreciated & sorry about the length of the post.

    TIA,
    Mike

    ---

    Mike, Jul 26, 2004

  2. Mike

    Unk Guest

    If you can get in one more time, change the "restart on failure" mode:

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, Advanced

    In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the "Settings" button
    to open the Startup and Recovery window.

    In the System Failure section, uncheck "Automatically restart",
    Click "Apply", "OK"

    After that change, the computer will no longer restart when a system
    failure occurs. Instead it will probably throw up a "Blue Screen Of
    Death" with a STOP error message and then halt completely, requiring
    a manual power off and restart (or reset if it has a hardware reset
    switch).

    But the contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue
    as to the underlying cause of the problem.

    Post back with the exact error message.

    There's also a good chance it's memory related. Try a stick of ram that you
    know is good.

    Unk, Jul 26, 2004

  3. Mike

    madmax Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > Good evening everyone. I just returned from a friends house where I was
    > trying to help him get his computer up and running and am stumped by his
    > problem and could use some assistance/opinions on the matter please and
    > thank you.
    > His computer keeps restarting after it gets through the Windows XP black
    > message that you can't even read and it just starts rebooting itself again
    > all over. His computer is rather new and he is running Win XP. I tried
    > starting in safe mode, but the same thing occurs.
    > Here is the kicker. Every once in a while it will actually let you log in to
    > Windows from the blue login screen if you move the mouse around where you
    > think your username box is and keep clicking before the error message comes
    > up (rarely though). Once in, it will let you go about your business for a
    > little bit before rebooting with the error message again. No device
    > conflicts in the device manager either when I did get in that once. I also
    > got the Windows error box on the screen with this message "The system has
    > recovered from a serious error". When I clicked on details it said :
    >
    > BCCode : d1 BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
    > BCP4 : F85B7C59 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1
    >
    > These files will be listed in the error report
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072504-23.dmp
    > C:\DOCUME~1\sue\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated & sorry about the length of the post.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Mike

    to stop shutdown go to run and type shutdown -a
    that is if you can get into windows :(
    you can create a bat file to do it.
    start notepad and cut and paste the following in the notepad window:

    @echo off
    :loop
    shutdown -a
    goto loop

    Save this to your desktop as stayon.bat, then you could double click on
    that to run while you d/l your updates which is what is needed.
    You could try to boot off CD and use recovery console-be careful.
    -max
    --
    To help you stay safe see: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
    Change nomail.afraid.org to neo.rr.com so you can reply

    madmax, Jul 26, 2004
  4. Mike

    Brian Guest

    madmax wrote:

    > Mike wrote:
    >
    >> Good evening everyone. I just returned from a friends house where I was
    >> trying to help him get his computer up and running and am stumped by his
    >> problem and could use some assistance/opinions on the matter please and
    >> thank you.
    >> His computer keeps restarting after it gets through the Windows XP black
    >> error message that you can't even read and it just starts rebooting
    >> itself again all over. His computer is rather new and he is running Win
    >> XP. I tried starting in safe mode, but the same thing occurs.
    >> Here is the kicker. Every once in a while it will actually let you log in
    >> to Windows from the blue login screen if you move the mouse around where
    >> you think your username box is and keep clicking before the error message
    >> comes up (rarely though). Once in, it will let you go about your business
    >> for a little bit before rebooting with the error message again. No device
    >> conflicts in the device manager either when I did get in that once. I
    >> also got the Windows error box on the screen with this message "The
    >> system has recovered from a serious error". When I clicked on details it
    >> said :
    >>
    >> BCCode : d1 BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
    >> BCP4 : F85B7C59 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1
    >>
    >> These files will be listed in the error report
    >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072504-23.dmp
    >> C:\DOCUME~1\sue\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated & sorry about the length of the
    >> post.
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Mike

    > to stop shutdown go to run and type shutdown -a
    > that is if you can get into windows :(
    > you can create a bat file to do it.
    > start notepad and cut and paste the following in the notepad window:
    >
    > @echo off
    > :loop
    > shutdown -a
    > goto loop
    >
    > Save this to your desktop as stayon.bat, then you could double click on
    > that to run while you d/l your updates which is what is needed.
    > You could try to boot off CD and use recovery console-be careful.
    > -max

    After it happened to me for the fourth time i a couple of weeks, I changed
    to Linux Mandrake. - Absolutely no problems since then!!

    --
    --- Brian ---

    Brian, Jul 26, 2004
  5. Mike

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Brian <> wrote in news:X72Nc.29$2net.dk:

    > After it happened to me for the fourth time i a couple of weeks, I
    > changed to Linux Mandrake. - Absolutely no problems since then!!

    Yes, the average user who can't even manage to configure their windows
    system properly should go and download an alternative OS with a learning
    curve that makes most mountains look like there is no incline at all...

    Jim Berwick, Jul 26, 2004
  6. Mike

    Parko Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:01:00 +0000, Jim Berwick wrote:

    > Brian <> wrote in news:X72Nc.29$2net.dk:
    >
    >> After it happened to me for the fourth time i a couple of weeks, I
    >> changed to Linux Mandrake. - Absolutely no problems since then!!
    >>

    > Yes, the average user who can't even manage to configure their windows
    > system properly should go and download an alternative OS with a learning
    > curve that makes most mountains look like there is no incline at all...

    And how much is Bill paying you?
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    Parko, Jul 26, 2004
  7. Mike

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Parko <> wrote in news:pan.2004.07.26.10.22.42.313811
    @hotmail.com:

    > And how much is Bill paying you?

    Zip. I use Windows 2000, XP, and Fedora Core 2. I can stick my dad in
    front of a Windows XP computer and he can install software on it. I have
    had my dad /use/ a linux machine, but I seriously doubt he could handle
    installing and configuring the OS much less adding stuff to it. Linux has
    a steep learning curve.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 26, 2004
  8. Mike

    relic Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Good evening everyone. I just returned from a friends house where I
    > was trying to help him get his computer up and running and am stumped
    > by his problem and could use some assistance/opinions on the matter
    > please and thank you.
    > His computer keeps restarting after it gets through the Windows XP
    > black loading screen. A blue screen briefly (very quickly) pops up
    > with some error message that you can't even read and it just starts
    > rebooting itself again all over. His computer is rather new and he is
    > running Win XP. I tried starting in safe mode, but the same thing
    > occurs.
    > Here is the kicker. Every once in a while it will actually let you
    > log in to Windows from the blue login screen if you move the mouse
    > around where you think your username box is and keep clicking before
    > the error message comes up (rarely though). Once in, it will let you
    > go about your business for a little bit before rebooting with the
    > error message again. No device conflicts in the device manager either
    > when I did get in that once. I also got the Windows error box on the
    > screen with this message "The system has recovered from a serious
    > error". When I clicked on details it said :
    >
    > BCCode : d1 BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
    > BCP4 : F85B7C59 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1
    >
    > These files will be listed in the error report
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072504-23.dmp
    > C:\DOCUME~1\sue\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated & sorry about the length of the
    > post.

    One of the Drivers (IRQ 2: usually a cascade from IRQ 9) is causing the
    problem:
    "Stop 0x000000D1 or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_ottj.asp

    --
    - relic -
    Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive.

    relic, Jul 26, 2004
  9. Mike

    Mike Guest

    >>snip>>
    > But the contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue
    > as to the underlying cause of the problem.
    >
    > Post back with the exact error message.

    Okay, I finally got a hold of his computer again and cannot get logged in no
    matter what. I did, however, have my wife snap a shot of the screen with her
    digital camera while the blue error screen was up before it rebooted (what a
    task in itself). Here is the just of it :

    It starts with this:

    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
    to your computer.

    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

    It then says if it is the first time you have seen this stop error screen,
    simply restart the machine. If it isn't, check the latest software or
    hardware installed for needed updates. If they persist, remove the said
    hardware or software or restart in safe mode.
    I have tried safe mode and last known good configuration with no luck at
    all.

    The bottom of the screen says:

    Technical information:

    *** STOP: 0x0000001 (0x00000008,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xF85B7C59)

    *** IdeChnDr.sys - Address F85B7C59 base at F85B30000, DateStamp 3cb4d2c0

    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
    assistance.

    And then bam, it shuts down and restarts again. Again, any help or
    suggestions would be greatly appreciated on this one. Also, would a reformat
    and fresh install of Win XP solve this problem or is it more of a hardware
    problem that needs resolving.

    Thanks Again,
    Mike

    ---

    Mike, Jul 29, 2004
  10. Mike

    Unk Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 23:47:58 -0400, "Mike" <> wrote:

    >>>snip>>

    >> But the contents of the STOP error message will give a specific clue
    >> as to the underlying cause of the problem.
    >>
    >> Post back with the exact error message.

    >Okay, I finally got a hold of his computer again and cannot get logged in no
    >matter what. I did, however, have my wife snap a shot of the screen with her
    >digital camera while the blue error screen was up before it rebooted (what a
    >task in itself). Here is the just of it :
    >
    >It starts with this:
    >
    >A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
    >to your computer.
    >
    >DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    >
    >It then says if it is the first time you have seen this stop error screen,
    >simply restart the machine. If it isn't, check the latest software or
    >hardware installed for needed updates. If they persist, remove the said
    >hardware or software or restart in safe mode.
    >I have tried safe mode and last known good configuration with no luck at
    >all.
    >
    >The bottom of the screen says:
    >
    >Technical information:
    >
    >*** STOP: 0x0000001 (0x00000008,0x00000002,0x00000000,0xF85B7C59)
    >
    >*** IdeChnDr.sys - Address F85B7C59 base at F85B30000, DateStamp 3cb4d2c0
    >
    >Beginning dump of physical memory
    >Physical memory dump complete.
    >Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
    >assistance.
    >
    >And then bam, it shuts down and restarts again. Again, any help or
    >suggestions would be greatly appreciated on this one. Also, would a reformat
    >and fresh install of Win XP solve this problem or is it more of a hardware
    >problem that needs resolving.
    >
    >Thanks Again,
    >Mike
    >

    >---

    Could be bad RAM or the Page file that is used by the Virtual Memory Manager
    may be damaged.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810093

    You could try a stick of known good memory to eliminate RAM as the cause.
    You could burn "Bart's PE Builder - NTFS Boot CD" and delete the
    "C:\ pagefile.sys" file to eliminate THAT as the cause.
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    As a last resort, you could try an in-place reinstall or attempt a repair.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    XP REPAIR

    Boot from the CD or you can insert the CD while at the windows desktop but
    when the setup screen appears, exit setup and reboot. If your system is set
    to be able to boot from the CD, it should detect the disk and give a brief
    message, during the boot up, if you wish to boot from the CD press any key.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

    Unk, Jul 29, 2004
  11. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for all the help guys. The Windows repair fixed everything and I
    returned his computer to him today in working order.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

    "Mike" <> wrote in message
    > Good evening everyone. I just returned from a friends house where I was
    > trying to help him get his computer up and running and am stumped by his
    > problem and could use some assistance/opinions on the matter please and
    > thank you.
    > His computer keeps restarting after it gets through the Windows XP black

    error
    > message that you can't even read and it just starts rebooting itself again
    > all over. His computer is rather new and he is running Win XP. I tried
    > starting in safe mode, but the same thing occurs.
    > Here is the kicker. Every once in a while it will actually let you log in

    > Windows from the blue login screen if you move the mouse around where you
    > think your username box is and keep clicking before the error message

    comes
    > up (rarely though). Once in, it will let you go about your business for a
    > little bit before rebooting with the error message again. No device
    > conflicts in the device manager either when I did get in that once. I also
    > got the Windows error box on the screen with this message "The system has
    > recovered from a serious error". When I clicked on details it said :
    >
    > BCCode : d1 BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
    > BCP4 : F85B7C59 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1
    >
    > These files will be listed in the error report
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072504-23.dmp
    > C:\DOCUME~1\sue\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated & sorry about the length of the

    post.

    > TIA,
    > Mike
    >

    > ---