Win XP Home Ed. HP Pavilion Recovery ?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by ChrisW, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. ChrisW

    ChrisW Guest

    A friend called me today and asked for some help. She had been on the phone with
    Hp for two hours before she called. Here is the problem.

    She turned on her machine this morning and got the following msg "Windows could
    not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
    \Windows\system32\Hal.Dll".

    She then tried to go into safe mode and got the same reply. She then decided to
    use the recovery disk and do a recovery. This did not work. She then called HP
    and they had her do the same things she already had done. Same results. The the
    HP Tech said to do a reformat, which she did and it was having problems
    extracting certain files and it did not help. This is when the tech gave up and
    told her he did not know what else to do except bring it into a HP service
    center, which we are several hours away from. This is when she called me.

    There was no way I could get it into safe mode, but I was able to get the HD
    reformatted using the HP disks, but when I went and rebooted the system a
    different file was missing. "Windows could not start because the following file
    is missing or corrupt \Windows\Inf\Biosinfo.inf"

    This time I just did a recovery and none of the files in the INF folder would
    extract. I am getting ready to do another reformat, but wanted some input first
    if there is something else I should do.

    Thanks for your help

    ChrisW
    ChrisW, Feb 22, 2004

  2. ChrisW

    ChrisW Guest

    To anyone interested. It is fixed. I do not know what caused the problem, but
    one of the problems to fix it was that one of the recovery disks had bad files
    on it. I was able to get copies of the files and made a new disk and then
    reformated the hard drive and everything is working fine.

    I would love to know what caused the problem in the first place, but will
    probably never find out.

    Thanks for the email Bill. It was a help and let me know I was going in the
    right direction and CONGRATS!!! on passing. I hope to do the same in a few months.

    Thanks
    Chris

    ChrisW, Feb 23, 2004

  3. ChrisW

    Tony Guest

    Glad to hear it all worked out. When it first happened, couldnt you have booted into the Last Known
    Good Configuration? How about booting into the XP CD and run the Recovery Console. Anyway, congrats
    on fixing the problem. I dont see how restoring the computer would not work.

    Tony

    Tony, Feb 23, 2004
  4. On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:47:12 -0500, ChrisW <>
    wrote:

    >A friend called me today and asked for some help. She had been on the phone with
    >Hp for two hours before she called. Here is the problem.
    >
    >She turned on her machine this morning and got the following msg "Windows could
    >not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
    >\Windows\system32\Hal.Dll".
    >
    >She then tried to go into safe mode and got the same reply. She then decided to
    >use the recovery disk and do a recovery. This did not work. She then called HP
    >and they had her do the same things she already had done. Same results. The the
    >HP Tech said to do a reformat, which she did and it was having problems
    >extracting certain files and it did not help. This is when the tech gave up and
    >told her he did not know what else to do except bring it into a HP service
    >center, which we are several hours away from. This is when she called me.
    >
    >There was no way I could get it into safe mode, but I was able to get the HD
    >reformatted using the HP disks, but when I went and rebooted the system a
    >different file was missing. "Windows could not start because the following file
    >is missing or corrupt \Windows\Inf\Biosinfo.inf"
    >
    >This time I just did a recovery and none of the files in the INF folder would
    >extract. I am getting ready to do another reformat, but wanted some input first
    >if there is something else I should do.
    >
    >Thanks for your help
    >
    >ChrisW

    Go to the HP site and do a search for hal.dll. It's been awhile, but
    if I recall correctly that was a relatively well-documented problem
    with HP tech support. I can't remember exactly, but I think there was
    some strange trick involving removing power at a particular point in
    the boot sequence; again, it's been awhile, so I'm not sure

    Tom
    Tom MacIntyre, Feb 23, 2004
  5. ChrisW

    ChrisW Guest

    I do not understand why a normal recovery would not work either. You could not
    boot into anything except the recovery CDs and then it would only let you do so
    much, that was one of the problems. I did find out that two of her friends just
    had the same thing happen and it turns out that it all started after they
    received the same email. So I guess it was a virus. One of her friends son is a
    computer nerd and has his own shop so he brought it into work and is suppose to
    call me Tuesday when he finds out what caused it.

    ChrisW
    P.S Thanks again to all! Great News Group

    ChrisW, Feb 24, 2004
  6. ChrisW

    ChrisW Guest

    Thanks. I will take a look. It is fixed for now and some other friends of hers
    are now having the same problem, but I will go look.

    ChrisW

    ChrisW, Feb 24, 2004
  7. ChrisW

    Syphillus Guest

    "ChrisW" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks. I will take a look. It is fixed for now and some other friends of

    hers
    > are now having the same problem, but I will go look.
    >
    > ChrisW
    >

    > Tom MacIntyre wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:47:12 -0500, ChrisW <>
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>A friend called me today and asked for some help. She had been on the

    phone with
    > >>Hp for two hours before she called. Here is the problem.
    > >>
    > >>She turned on her machine this morning and got the following msg

    "Windows could
    > >>not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
    > >>\Windows\system32\Hal.Dll".
    > >>
    > >>She then tried to go into safe mode and got the same reply. She then

    decided to
    > >>use the recovery disk and do a recovery. This did not work. She then

    called HP
    > >>and they had her do the same things she already had done. Same results.

    The the
    > >>HP Tech said to do a reformat, which she did and it was having problems
    > >>extracting certain files and it did not help. This is when the tech gave

    up and
    > >>told her he did not know what else to do except bring it into a HP

    service
    > >>center, which we are several hours away from. This is when she called

    me.

    > >>There was no way I could get it into safe mode, but I was able to get

    the HD
    > >>reformatted using the HP disks, but when I went and rebooted the system

    > >>different file was missing. "Windows could not start because the

    following file
    > >>is missing or corrupt \Windows\Inf\Biosinfo.inf"
    > >>
    > >>This time I just did a recovery and none of the files in the INF folder

    would
    > >>extract. I am getting ready to do another reformat, but wanted some

    input first
    > >>if there is something else I should do.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks for your help

    The sweet sound of money..........:}
    You are going after those other potential cusyomers right????

    --
    Syphillus
    Syphillus, Feb 24, 2004
  8. ChrisW

    Prince_of_percia

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    corrupt Windows \ System32 \ Hal.dl

    Hello,

    This error can occur if the System32 hal.dll in your system is missing or corrupt.

    I was facing the same problem some days ago.

    Then my Bro referred me to a website, and I got a solution from there...

    Just try that website and follow the steps. May be you get some positive response from there...

    Here is the URL:-

    http://www.completepcpedia.com/file_missing.html

    :top: :top: :top: :top: :top:
    Prince_of_percia, Dec 10, 2010