    I have some seriously important data in there..
    Anyone got a hack for this??
    Thanks

    Ada, Nov 20, 2004

  2. Ada

    Bok Guest

    Ada wrote:
    > I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it in
    > a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which was
    > protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could not
    > access this older after I had re-installed windows.
    > So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
    > original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
    > to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
    > assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
    > DOCUMENTW folder I have some seriously important data in there..
    > Anyone got a hack for this??

    It sounds like a security issue, you need to acquire ownership of the
    folder, which you can do from an adminstrator account. Do you have XP
    home or pro?

    Bok, Nov 20, 2004

  3. Ada

    Ada Guest

    Bok wrote:

    > Ada wrote:
    >
    >> I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it
    >> in a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which
    >> was protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could
    >> not access this older after I had re-installed windows.
    >> So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
    >> original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
    >> to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
    >> assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
    >> DOCUMENTW folder I have some seriously important data in there..
    >> Anyone got a hack for this??

    > It sounds like a security issue, you need to acquire ownership of the
    > folder, which you can do from an adminstrator account. Do you have XP
    > home or pro?

    XP home.. I have set myself up as an administrator. I am the only user
    on the computer too.

    Ada, Nov 20, 2004
  4. Ada

    Gurble Guest

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:36:19 +1300, Ada <> had this
    to say:

    >I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it in
    >a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which was
    >protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could not
    >access this older after I had re-installed windows.
    >So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
    >original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
    >to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
    >assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
    >DOCUMENTW folder
    >I have some seriously important data in there..
    >Anyone got a hack for this??
    >Thanks

    Yup. You most likely don't have permission to view it.

    Assuming Windows XP Professional, and an account with admin
    privileges:

    1. Open "My Computer".
    2. Choose Tools --> Folder Options at the top.
    2. Go to the "View" tab.
    3. Right down the bottom, uncheck "use simple file sharing" and click
    OK.
    4. Head over to the folder in question, right click on it, and choose
    "Properties".
    5. Choose the Security tab. Click advanced. (Note, you'll probably get
    a warning around here somewhere saying you have no access, but can
    take ownership).
    6. Choose the Owner tab.
    7. Choose your name in the "change owner to" box.
    8. Important: Check the "Replace owner on containers and objects"
    checkbox. Click OK.
    9. You now have ownership of the folder, however do not yet have
    permission to view it.
    10. Click OK in the "Document Properties" window, then reopen it (ie 4
    above). Go back to the "Security" tab.
    11. Click Add..., Advanced, Find Now, and select your username in the
    box at the bottom, and click OK, then OK again
    12. Make sure you have "Full Control" privileges (click on your
    username, then click on "Full Control")
    13. Click Advanced, then check "Replace permission entries on all
    child objects.....".
    14. Click OK, then OK.
    15. Magic! You should now have access to that folder again.
    16. Next, BACK IT UP, if it's "seriously important data"...

    HTH.

    Gurble, Nov 20, 2004
  5. Ada

    Ada Guest

    Gurble wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:36:19 +1300, Ada <> had this
    > to say:
    >

    >>I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it in
    >>a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which was
    >>protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could not
    >>access this older after I had re-installed windows.
    >>So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
    >>original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
    >>to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
    >>assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
    >>DOCUMENTW folder
    >>I have some seriously important data in there..
    >>Anyone got a hack for this??
    >>Thanks

    > Yup. You most likely don't have permission to view it.
    >
    > Assuming Windows XP Professional, and an account with admin
    > privileges:
    >
    > 1. Open "My Computer".
    > 2. Choose Tools --> Folder Options at the top.
    > 2. Go to the "View" tab.
    > 3. Right down the bottom, uncheck "use simple file sharing" and click
    > OK.
    > 4. Head over to the folder in question, right click on it, and choose
    > "Properties".
    > 5. Choose the Security tab. Click advanced. (Note, you'll probably get
    > a warning around here somewhere saying you have no access, but can
    > take ownership).
    > 6. Choose the Owner tab.
    > 7. Choose your name in the "change owner to" box.
    > 8. Important: Check the "Replace owner on containers and objects"
    > checkbox. Click OK.
    > 9. You now have ownership of the folder, however do not yet have
    > permission to view it.
    > 10. Click OK in the "Document Properties" window, then reopen it (ie 4
    > above). Go back to the "Security" tab.
    > 11. Click Add..., Advanced, Find Now, and select your username in the
    > box at the bottom, and click OK, then OK again
    > 12. Make sure you have "Full Control" privileges (click on your
    > username, then click on "Full Control")
    > 13. Click Advanced, then check "Replace permission entries on all
    > child objects.....".
    > 14. Click OK, then OK.
    > 15. Magic! You should now have access to that folder again.
    > 16. Next, BACK IT UP, if it's "seriously important data"...
    >
    > HTH.

    Thanks for that.
    Well it is XP home so I am guessing none of that will work??

    And I actually DID back up MY documents folder but even the backup
    cannot be opened.

    Ada, Nov 20, 2004
  6. Ada

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:44:21 +1300, Ada <> had this
    to say:

    >Gurble wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:36:19 +1300, Ada <> had this
    >> to say:
    >>

    >>>I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it in
    >>>a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which was
    >>>protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could not
    >>>access this older after I had re-installed windows.
    >>>So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
    >>>original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
    >>>to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
    >>>assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
    >>>DOCUMENTW folder
    >>>I have some seriously important data in there..
    >>>Anyone got a hack for this??
    >>>Thanks

    >> Yup. You most likely don't have permission to view it.
    >>
    >> Assuming Windows XP Professional, and an account with admin
    >> privileges:
    >>
    >> 1. Open "My Computer".
    >> 2. Choose Tools --> Folder Options at the top.
    >> 2. Go to the "View" tab.
    >> 3. Right down the bottom, uncheck "use simple file sharing" and click
    >> OK.
    >> 4. Head over to the folder in question, right click on it, and choose
    >> "Properties".
    >> 5. Choose the Security tab. Click advanced. (Note, you'll probably get
    >> a warning around here somewhere saying you have no access, but can
    >> take ownership).
    >> 6. Choose the Owner tab.
    >> 7. Choose your name in the "change owner to" box.
    >> 8. Important: Check the "Replace owner on containers and objects"
    >> checkbox. Click OK.
    >> 9. You now have ownership of the folder, however do not yet have
    >> permission to view it.
    >> 10. Click OK in the "Document Properties" window, then reopen it (ie 4
    >> above). Go back to the "Security" tab.
    >> 11. Click Add..., Advanced, Find Now, and select your username in the
    >> box at the bottom, and click OK, then OK again
    >> 12. Make sure you have "Full Control" privileges (click on your
    >> username, then click on "Full Control")
    >> 13. Click Advanced, then check "Replace permission entries on all
    >> child objects.....".
    >> 14. Click OK, then OK.
    >> 15. Magic! You should now have access to that folder again.
    >> 16. Next, BACK IT UP, if it's "seriously important data"...
    >>
    >> HTH.

    >Thanks for that.
    >Well it is XP home so I am guessing none of that will work??

    Ok, in that case, don't do 1-3 above, and instead restart the computer
    in Safe Mode, and ensure an administrator account. This will give you
    access to the "Security" tab.

    To restart the computer in safe mode, restart, and keep press F8 until
    a menu appears, and choose "Safe Mode".

    >And I actually DID back up MY documents folder but even the backup
    >cannot be opened.

    Bugger!

    HTH. Let us know how you get on.

    Gurble, Nov 20, 2004
  7. On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:36:19 +1300, Ada wrote:

    > I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it in
    > a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which was
    > protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could not
    > access this older after I had re-installed windows.

    Thi is due to security permissions that are used with the Documents and
    Setting folder. It stops even an administrator prying into other user's
    documents. The solution is just to become the "owner" of the particular
    folder and its subfolders/files.

    > So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
    > original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
    > to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
    > assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
    > DOCUMENTW folder

    Yeah well that was never going to work (the user accounts wouldn't match).

    > I have some seriously important data in there..
    > Anyone got a hack for this??
    > Thanks

    Have a look at the bottom of this:

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpnetsh.htm

    Just give the "Everyone" user full read rights to the folders if you can't
    figure it out..

    wogers nemesis, Nov 20, 2004
  8. Ada

    Ada Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 00:44:21 +1300, Ada <> had this
    > to say:
    >

    >>Gurble wrote:
    >>

    >>>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:36:19 +1300, Ada <> had this
    >>>to say:

    >>>Yup. You most likely don't have permission to view it.
    >>>
    >>>Assuming Windows XP Professional, and an account with admin
    >>>privileges:
    >>>
    >>>1. Open "My Computer".
    >>>2. Choose Tools --> Folder Options at the top.
    >>>2. Go to the "View" tab.
    >>>3. Right down the bottom, uncheck "use simple file sharing" and click
    >>>OK.
    >>>4. Head over to the folder in question, right click on it, and choose
    >>>"Properties".
    >>>5. Choose the Security tab. Click advanced. (Note, you'll probably get
    >>>a warning around here somewhere saying you have no access, but can
    >>>take ownership).
    >>>6. Choose the Owner tab.
    >>>7. Choose your name in the "change owner to" box.
    >>>8. Important: Check the "Replace owner on containers and objects"
    >>>checkbox. Click OK.
    >>>9. You now have ownership of the folder, however do not yet have
    >>>permission to view it.
    >>>10. Click OK in the "Document Properties" window, then reopen it (ie 4
    >>>above). Go back to the "Security" tab.
    >>>11. Click Add..., Advanced, Find Now, and select your username in the
    >>>box at the bottom, and click OK, then OK again
    >>>12. Make sure you have "Full Control" privileges (click on your
    >>>username, then click on "Full Control")
    >>>13. Click Advanced, then check "Replace permission entries on all
    >>>child objects.....".
    >>>14. Click OK, then OK.
    >>>15. Magic! You should now have access to that folder again.
    >>>16. Next, BACK IT UP, if it's "seriously important data"...
    >>>
    >>>HTH.

    >>Thanks for that.
    >>Well it is XP home so I am guessing none of that will work??

    > Ok, in that case, don't do 1-3 above, and instead restart the computer
    > in Safe Mode, and ensure an administrator account. This will give you
    > access to the "Security" tab.
    >
    > To restart the computer in safe mode, restart, and keep press F8 until
    > a menu appears, and choose "Safe Mode".
    >

    >>And I actually DID back up MY documents folder but even the backup
    >>cannot be opened.

    > Bugger!
    >

    > HTH. Let us know how you get on.

    THANKS GUYS, it worked perefectly I can now access those files.
    Only thing is it seems that even though I can protect a file as a user,
    anyone can boot up windows in Safe Mode and walk al over your protected
    files?
    But I have my data back. Most aprreciated. Good ton kow there are some
    helpful people out there

    Ada, Nov 20, 2004
  9. Ada

    Gurble Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:04:40 +1300, Ada <> had this
    to say:

    >> HTH. Let us know how you get on.

    >THANKS GUYS, it worked perefectly I can now access those files.
    >Only thing is it seems that even though I can protect a file as a user,
    >anyone can boot up windows in Safe Mode and walk al over your protected
    >files?

    Yes, anyone with Administrator privileges, which is why it's integral
    to have a strong administrator password.

    Although it's easy enough to hack the admin password if you know what
    you're doing
    eg http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

    Windows XP Pro also includes EFS encryption, which makes the process
    substantially more difficult - check out:
    http://www.iopus.com/guides/efs.htm

    But, yeah, the basic rule with a Windows system is that if someone has
    physical access to your machine, they own it.

    >But I have my data back. Most aprreciated. Good ton kow there are some
    >helpful people out there

    No problems. I'm glad you've got it back.

    Gurble, Nov 21, 2004
  10. In article <Q7Fnd.3990$> in nz.comp on Sat, 20
    Nov 2004 23:36:19 +1300, Ada <> says...
    > I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it in
    > a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which was
    > protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could not
    > access this older after I had re-installed windows.
    > So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
    > original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain access
    > to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS folder
    > assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to my OLD MY
    > DOCUMENTW folder
    > I have some seriously important data in there..
    > Anyone got a hack for this??

    You should ALWAYS back up any data before you reinstall Windows. Copying
    it to another place on the disk is not backing up.

    Make sure you are logging in as an administrator.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 21, 2004
  11. In article <C7Gnd.4033$> in nz.comp on Sun, 21
    Nov 2004 00:44:21 +1300, Ada <> says...

    So how did you back it up?

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 21, 2004
  12. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:36:30 +1300, Gurble <> says...
    > On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:04:40 +1300, Ada <> had this
    > to say:
    >

    > >> HTH. Let us know how you get on.

    > >THANKS GUYS, it worked perefectly I can now access those files.
    > >Only thing is it seems that even though I can protect a file as a user,
    > >anyone can boot up windows in Safe Mode and walk al over your protected
    > >files?

    > Yes, anyone with Administrator privileges, which is why it's integral
    > to have a strong administrator password.
    >
    > Although it's easy enough to hack the admin password if you know what
    > you're doing
    > eg http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >
    > Windows XP Pro also includes EFS encryption, which makes the process
    > substantially more difficult - check out:
    > http://www.iopus.com/guides/efs.htm
    >
    > But, yeah, the basic rule with a Windows system is that if someone has
    > physical access to your machine, they own it.

    IIRC you don't need any passwords if you boot up with a BartsPE boot CD.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 21, 2004
  13. Ada said the following on 21/11/2004 00:44:
    > Gurble wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:36:19 +1300, Ada <> had this
    >> to say:
    >>

    >>> I had a problem with Xp , it would not boot up. So I re-installed it
    >>> in a new folder. This was because I have a MY DOCUMENTS folder which
    >>> was protected, and I didn't want to over write this folder. I could
    >>> not access this older after I had re-installed windows.
    >>> So advice from a computer guy was to re-install windows over the
    >>> original ( corrupt) version. This I did but I still cannot gain
    >>> access to MY DOCUMENTS folder. I can get access to the MY DOCUMANTS
    >>> folder assigned to the new installation, but I cannot get access to
    >>> my OLD MY DOCUMENTW folder
    >>> I have some seriously important data in there..
    >>> Anyone got a hack for this??
    >>> Thanks

    >> Yup. You most likely don't have permission to view it.
    >>
    >> Assuming Windows XP Professional, and an account with admin
    >> privileges:
    >>
    >> 1. Open "My Computer".
    >> 2. Choose Tools --> Folder Options at the top.
    >> 2. Go to the "View" tab.
    >> 3. Right down the bottom, uncheck "use simple file sharing" and click
    >> OK.
    >> 4. Head over to the folder in question, right click on it, and choose
    >> "Properties".
    >> 5. Choose the Security tab. Click advanced. (Note, you'll probably get
    >> a warning around here somewhere saying you have no access, but can
    >> take ownership).
    >> 6. Choose the Owner tab.
    >> 7. Choose your name in the "change owner to" box.
    >> 8. Important: Check the "Replace owner on containers and objects"
    >> checkbox. Click OK.
    >> 9. You now have ownership of the folder, however do not yet have
    >> permission to view it.
    >> 10. Click OK in the "Document Properties" window, then reopen it (ie 4
    >> above). Go back to the "Security" tab.
    >> 11. Click Add..., Advanced, Find Now, and select your username in the
    >> box at the bottom, and click OK, then OK again
    >> 12. Make sure you have "Full Control" privileges (click on your
    >> username, then click on "Full Control")
    >> 13. Click Advanced, then check "Replace permission entries on all
    >> child objects.....".
    >> 14. Click OK, then OK.
    >> 15. Magic! You should now have access to that folder again.
    >> 16. Next, BACK IT UP, if it's "seriously important data"...
    >>
    >> HTH.

    > Thanks for that.
    > Well it is XP home so I am guessing none of that will work??
    >
    > And I actually DID back up MY documents folder but even the backup
    > cannot be opened.

    Let me guess your backup consisted of a copy of the folder on the same
    machine ?
    In which case it has inherited the security of the original.

    Get a Linux boot disk and copy the files off using that.

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Nov 21, 2004
  14. Ada

    Brendan Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:04:40 +1300, Ada wrote:

    > THANKS GUYS, it worked perefectly I can now access those files.
    > Only thing is it seems that even though I can protect a file as a user,
    > anyone can boot up windows in Safe Mode and walk al over your protected
    > files?

    You password protect the admin account. e.g. give it a password.

    This in itself only rates as 'keep them honest' level security, as the
    password for the admin account can be changed with certain hacker
    utilities.

    What I suggest you do is this:

    1. password the admin account and YOUR account. Edit the security settings
    on the folder so only you or admin may access it.

    2. Back it up with winRAR, and password the resulting rar file via winrar's
    own password system. This allows the files to be secured in a transportable
    way (do not use the option in winrar to backup the security attributes).
    You can then write the resulting rar file to cd, and store the cd
    elsewhere. No one will be able to get into your rar file, just make sure
    the password you use is long - e.g. a sentence or phrase you will remember.

    1 keeps it a little safe for a working copy, 2 keeps it safe for archival.

    > But I have my data back. Most aprreciated. Good ton kow there are some
    > helpful people out there

    Yeah, were just full of it... help that is ;)

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly." -- Arnold Edinborough

    Note: All my comments are copyright 21/11/2004 1:17:52 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Nov 21, 2004
  15. Ada

    steven Guest

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:36:30 +1300, Gurble wrote:

    > On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:04:40 +1300, Ada <> had this
    > to say:
    >

    >>> HTH. Let us know how you get on.

    >>THANKS GUYS, it worked perefectly I can now access those files.
    >>Only thing is it seems that even though I can protect a file as a user,
    >>anyone can boot up windows in Safe Mode and walk al over your protected
    >>files?

    > Yes, anyone with Administrator privileges, which is why it's integral
    > to have a strong administrator password.
    >
    > Although it's easy enough to hack the admin password if you know what
    > you're doing
    > eg http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    >
    > Windows XP Pro also includes EFS encryption, which makes the process
    > substantially more difficult - check out:
    > http://www.iopus.com/guides/efs.htm
    >
    > But, yeah, the basic rule with a Windows system is that if someone has
    > physical access to your machine, they own it.

    slight correction, the basic rule with any system is that if someone has
    physical access to your machine, they own it.

    a computer running windows and *nix can be rooted if you have phyiscal
    access to it.

    Steven H

    steven, Nov 21, 2004