WIN XP hangs on shutdown

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by JB, May 13, 2004.

  1. JB

    JB Guest

    Hi

    New problem with Win XP - has worked fine for 2 years, all MS updates,
    patches, firewalled, AVG antivirus and Adaware protected - always up to
    date - haven't had a problem.

    Last night had an AVG message alerting me to a virus PSW.JEEM.B (my daughter
    had been on the bloody chatrooms yesterday afternoon.)

    Logged off and ran AVG and this healed and quarantined it - now when I shut
    down the system hangs during "windows is shutting down" the mouse freezes
    and that's it. only way to switch it off is to turn off the power on the
    back of the PC.

    Any ideas HELP!!!

    Cheers

    JB

    JB, May 13, 2004

  2. JB

    JB Guest

    Re: WIN XP hangs on shutdown - Faulty USB hub

    Hi again

    Fixed it - faulty DSE 4 port Bus Powered USB hub. Noticed the lights weren't
    on - unplugged it and behold, PC shuts down perfectly - back to DSE it goes.
    USB port on the PC still fine as proved by plugging in the Digital Camera
    Yayyy!!!

    Ciao

    JB

    JB, May 13, 2004

  3. JB

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Re: WIN XP hangs on shutdown - Faulty USB hub

    "JB" <_REMOVE> wrote in news:eIGoc.1742
    $:

    >> Last night had an AVG message alerting me to a virus PSW.JEEM.B (my

    > daughter
    >> had been on the bloody chatrooms yesterday afternoon.)

    Make her have her own account and make it a limited user. It is really
    hard to "just get a virus" from a chat room (if you are patched). You
    usually have to do something, like receive and run a file.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 13, 2004
  4. JB

    ¢_£¥ºÑ Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "JB" <_REMOVE> wrote in news:eIGoc.1742
    > $:
    >
    > >> Last night had an AVG message alerting me to a virus PSW.JEEM.B (my

    > > daughter
    > >> had been on the bloody chatrooms yesterday afternoon.)
    > >>

    > Make her have her own account and make it a limited user. It is really
    > hard to "just get a virus" from a chat room (if you are patched). You
    > usually have to do something, like receive and run a file.
    > Ciao, Dave

    Not unless someone paste an infected site's URL in the chatroom, and being
    typical kids as they are, they click on it without realising the
    consequences. . .

    ¢_£¥ºÑ, May 13, 2004
  5. JB

    "¢_£¥ºÑ" <> wrote in message
    > "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > > "JB" <_REMOVE> wrote in news:eIGoc.1742
    > > $:

    > > > daughter
    > > >>

    > > Make her have her own account and make it a limited user. It is really
    > > hard to "just get a virus" from a chat room (if you are patched). You
    > > usually have to do something, like receive and run a file.
    > > Ciao, Dave

    > Not unless someone paste an infected site's URL in the chatroom, and being
    > typical kids as they are, they click on it without realising the
    > consequences. . .

    Yes she has her own account, which IS now "limited user" hehe!! BTW My
    Daughter is 28, but not very PC savvy - needless to say my system is virus
    free again and running like a charm.

    I'm surprised how many people I know that don't know about internet
    security - I fixed a neighbours PC recently cos their PC was so slow -
    Nortons not updated for over a year, no firewall or spyware software - they
    had 65 various viruses and spyware programmes running on their PC - bloody
    bonzai buddy Monkey, and all sorts of crap.... wonder it ran at all) 3 Hours
    later and I had it like a new PC.

    Cheers

    JB

    JB, May 14, 2004