    My mouse pointer works, but that's all.
    ;o(
    I'm using Win XP Pro.

    Brando, Sep 9, 2004

  2. Brando

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:55:57 GMT, Brando wrote:

    Another, BYer. Your antispam address munge is in the wrong place.

    The aim is too not only not get spam but avoid it hitting your ISP
    servers (hence tacking up bandwidth/storage and processing power). As
    is, the BY server tries multiple times to deliver to
    "BrandonBladesNOSHIT" , you don't get the spam but the server does and
    tries to process it then gives up maybe 24 hours after.

    http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=h_services_news_troubleshooting_howavoid
    or

    >Please help! I was transferring my hard drive image to another (larger) hard
    >drive tonight when Western Digital's "Data LifeGuard" utility ceashed. Now

    Get another disk / CD\DVD Writer, Get Norton Ghost image original disk
    to one of those. This way you have a copy of everything as is. Check the
    copy is okay.

    >my c: drive thinks it's an f: drive (so scandisk tells me!), but worse still
    >is that I can't get past the welcome screen to get to my files! I tried to

    An NT class OS usually handles partition changes fairly well, you may
    get a lot of errors but I have seen it run the OS in cases when C:
    became D: or even E:

    Any of the FAQ of any use?
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/grid_alp.php

    Without knowing what DLG did, (created a mini partition, altered mbr)
    it's only a guess but if you can see the boot.ini file it's possible to
    alter the partition number to point to where the OS (now) resides. I am
    <bold>NOT<bold> suggesting you do anything like this, it could be **
    very risky ** but here is a MS article to show you what I mean.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022

    My 1st task would be a Norton Ghost Image, to CD/DVD writer to at least
    save what you do have before trying any fix.

    >select safe mode and "restore my system", etc., but it's stopping at the
    >same place all the time no matter which option I choose. It took me months

    The same place is?

    >to get my programs installed and now it looks like I'm going to lose them.

    If you fix it, make a safety disk image using Ghost.

    >What can I do?

    I usually install to a new HD, install apps off my custom CDs i.e. all
    applications and licence keys together in 1 place. Copy any data off the
    old HD which became a slave disk.

    >BB
    >
    >P.S.
    >My mouse pointer works, but that's all.
    >;o(
    >I'm using Win XP Pro.

    Me

    why?, Sep 10, 2004

  3. Brando

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Brando wrote:

    > Please help! I was transferring my hard drive image to another (larger)
    > hard drive tonight when Western Digital's "Data LifeGuard" utility
    > ceashed. Now my c: drive thinks it's an f: drive (so scandisk tells me!),
    > but worse still is that I can't get past the welcome screen to get to my
    > files! I tried to select safe mode and "restore my system", etc., but it's
    > stopping at the same place all the time no matter which option I choose.
    > It took me months to get my programs installed and now it looks like I'm
    > going to lose them. What can I do?
    > BB
    >
    > P.S.
    > My mouse pointer works, but that's all.
    > ;o(
    > I'm using Win XP Pro.

    I just got a copy of the CD from a guy at work. It has a lot of utilities. I
    have not used it, but I did boot with it on the XP Pro machine just to see
    how it works. Maybe, if nothing else, you can boot-up and can get to the HD
    and do something to save your data.

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    --
    Duane :)

    I run MS XP Pro and SuSE Linux Pro and I like both of them.

    Duane Arnold, Sep 10, 2004
  4. Brando

    Reid Decker Guest

    Have you tried hitting DELETE when starting up? This should put you
    into SETUP. Then maybe you could try booting up with a different drive.
    That might allow you to get past the problem. I have done this, and it
    worked for me.

    Reid Decker, Sep 10, 2004