Win XP FILE Explorer shuting down randomly!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by era, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. era

    era Guest

    Win Explorer (win XP) crashes when viewing files/directories in my 120
    GB drive(master disc on a separate IDE slot).
    At times i can browse files/directories in the disk a few directoies
    before it would shutdown Explorer! Windows does not shutdown though and
    there are no error messages!

    The shutdown is not releated to any particular types of files/directory
    that l was looking at. This computer is NOT connected to the Internet
    and have XP service pack 1 installed.

    The 120GB disc is partioned into 2 logical drives, and the XP system is
    on a physical hard disc.

    I have scanned for virus etc... and scandisk several times with no
    errors reported.

    ANy constructive idea would be appreciated. Whilst l can live with it,
    its annoying! Failing any resolution l may have to reformat the hard
    disc, but have to backup some rather large files/directories!
    era, Jul 5, 2004

  2. era

    era Guest

    era wrote:

    > Win Explorer (win XP) crashes when viewing files/directories in my 120
    > GB drive(master disc on a separate IDE slot).
    > At times i can browse files/directories in the disk a few directoies
    > before it would shutdown Explorer! Windows does not shutdown though and
    > there are no error messages!
    >
    > The shutdown is not releated to any particular types of files/directory
    > that l was looking at. This computer is NOT connected to the Internet
    > and have XP service pack 1 installed.
    >
    > The 120GB disc is partioned into 2 logical drives, and the XP system is
    > on a physical hard disc.
    >
    > I have scanned for virus etc... and scandisk several times with no
    > errors reported.
    >
    > ANy constructive idea would be appreciated. Whilst l can live with it,
    > its annoying! Failing any resolution l may have to reformat the hard
    > disc, but have to backup some rather large files/directories!

    This is an NTFS file system
    era, Jul 5, 2004

  3. era

    The Prophecy Guest

    era wrote:
    > era wrote:
    >
    >> Win Explorer (win XP) crashes when viewing files/directories in my
    >> 120 GB drive(master disc on a separate IDE slot).
    >> At times i can browse files/directories in the disk a few directoies
    >> before it would shutdown Explorer! Windows does not shutdown though
    >> and there are no error messages!
    >>
    >> The shutdown is not releated to any particular types of
    >> files/directory that l was looking at. This computer is NOT
    >> connected to the Internet and have XP service pack 1 installed.
    >>
    >> The 120GB disc is partioned into 2 logical drives, and the XP system
    >> is on a physical hard disc.
    >>
    >> I have scanned for virus etc... and scandisk several times with no
    >> errors reported.
    >>
    >> ANy constructive idea would be appreciated. Whilst l can live with
    >> it, its annoying! Failing any resolution l may have to reformat the
    >> hard disc, but have to backup some rather large files/directories!

    > This is an NTFS file system

    Find the Windows XP CD you used to install the OS with and put it into your
    CD ROM drive. Then go to Start, Run, type in "sfc /scannow" (no quotes).
    Wait until it finishes and then reboot. Once you are done rebooting (remove
    the cd before you actually reboot) you should no longer have this problem.
    The Prophecy, Jul 5, 2004