    The wizard has installed a "simple volume" - is there anything I should know
    about this?

    TIA.
    ian field, Jan 30, 2010

  2. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "~BD~" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > ian field wrote:
    >> Previously when I formatted a clean 400Gb Seagate, disk management
    >> allowed
    >> me to select individual actions by right clicking on the un-initialised
    >> drive bar.
    >>
    >> Since then, I've removed the 400Gb drive and set about initialising a
    >> 320Gb
    >> Hitachi - this time it won't allow selecting actions by right clicking
    >> and
    >> insists on presenting installation wizard.
    >>
    >> The wizard has installed a "simple volume" - is there anything I should
    >> know
    >> about this?
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>

    > Hello Ian
    >
    > Perhaps this will help:
    >
    > http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6170510.html
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    By the look of that, if I'd been using Vista the issue wouldn't have arisen.
    ian field, Jan 30, 2010

  3. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "~BD~" <> wrote in message
    > ian field wrote:
    >> "~BD~"<> wrote in message

    >>> Hello Ian
    >>>
    >>> Perhaps this will help:
    >>>
    >>> http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6170510.html
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Dave

    >> By the look of that, if I'd been using Vista the issue wouldn't have
    >> arisen.
    >>

    > Indeed!
    >
    > The first paragraph of the article might (I thought) have helped you,
    > viz:-
    >
    > "As you know, the Disk Management console tool in Windows XP will allow
    > you to create a new partition using any unallocated, or free, space on a
    > hard disk. However, if there is a single partition that takes up the
    > entire hard disk, you can't use the Disk Management console tool to
    > repartition the hard disk into two or more smaller partitions. If you want
    > to accomplish this task in Windows XP, you will have to invest in a
    > third-party console tool such as PartitionMagic. Of course you can back up
    > the disk, reboot with a DOS startup disk, and then use DOS FDisk command
    > to repartition the disk, but then you'll have to reformat and reinstall,
    > which is a lot of work."
    >
    > The gurus here may be able to advise you!
    >
    > --
    > Dave

    It allowed me to split the first HDD into 2 partitions without any
    difficulty, so I set it up as a boot partition and the second partition as a
    general storage area.

    I didn't try to split the second and third HDDs into partitions, as I wanted
    the largest continuous chunk of storage (a single drive of twice the
    capacity would have been even better).
    ian field, Jan 30, 2010