    It doesn't do this unless I am connected to the 'net. Apart from
    this it is perfectly stable.
    Any ideas?

    Just when you think it is safe to go into the gard, Nov 20, 2006

  2. Just when you think it is safe to go into the gard

    impossible Guest

    "Just when you think it is safe to go into the garden again..."
    <> wrote in message
    >I have an installation of WIN XP PRO that, while I am connected
    > to my ISP, will tell me it is closing down with the error message
    > of 18 and it will reboot.
    > It doesn't do this unless I am connected to the 'net. Apart from
    > this it is perfectly stable.
    > Any ideas?

    You really need to copy down the exact error messge you're getting.
    Error "18" doesn't sound like a Windows error -- more like an
    application error of some sort. With the exact wording the error, it's
    often very ease to track down a solution via Google. You might try
    first runnng msconfig to disable all non-essential startup
    applications -- then see if you get the same error when you connect to
    the net.

    impossible, Nov 20, 2006

  3. Just when you think it is safe to go into the gard

    impossible Guest

    "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:00:39 +1300, Just when you think it is safe
    > to go into the garden again...
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have an installation of WIN XP PRO that, while I am connected
    >>to my ISP, will tell me it is closing down with the error message
    >>of 18 and it will reboot.
    >>It doesn't do this unless I am connected to the 'net. Apart from
    >>this it is perfectly stable.
    >>Any ideas?

    > Ask this question in the MS XP News groups..

    Dish out silly commands like this in the alt.pretend.to.be.a.moderator
    newsgroup.

    impossible, Nov 20, 2006
  4. Just when you think it is safe to go into the gard

    Mathew Good Guest

    Mathew Good, Nov 20, 2006
  5. Just when you think it is safe to go into the gard

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Just when you think it is safe to go into the garden again...
    <> wrote in news:6tr1m2da1r7td1oc0svfvfkam3b93llcmk@
    4ax.com:

    > Any ideas?

    Check the event log.
    Right click on "My Computer", select manage, and look in the event logs for
    errors. That should get you started.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 20, 2006
  6. Just when you think it is safe to go into the gard

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <Xns9881C37212819daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>,
    says...
    > Just when you think it is safe to go into the garden again...
    > <> wrote in news:6tr1m2da1r7td1oc0svfvfkam3b93llcmk@
    > 4ax.com:
    >
    > > Any ideas?

    > Check the event log.
    > Right click on "My Computer", select manage, and look in the event logs for
    > errors. That should get you started.

    Then carry on your own detective work at:
    http://eventid.net

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Nov 20, 2006
  7. Just when you think it is safe to go into the gard

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Doe <> wrote in

    > Then carry on your own detective work at:
    > http://eventid.net

    On an unbroken computer... Since the OP has surfing problems.
    Maybe firefox?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 20, 2006
  8. Re: DIM XP closing down with error message

    In message <>, Just when you think
    it is safe to go into the garden again... wrote:

    > I have an installation of WIN XP PRO that, while I am connected
    > to my ISP, will tell me it is closing down with the error message
    > of 18 and it will reboot.

    There was a Dimdows virus, from last year I think it was, that presented
    this sort of thing as a symptom.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 21, 2006