WIN XP caller ID

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by I.N. Ternet, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. I.N. Ternet

    I.N. Ternet Guest

    On WIN XP Home Edition, when I get a phone call, the number calling
    flashes up on my screen from the system tray. This seems to be a
    feature of MS Fax Console. Yes, I have caller ID service from my phone
    company.

    I see settings for the FAX options, but nothing specific for the
    caller ID function anywhere. (Turn on, off, name and/or number
    displayed, etc.)

    Are there settings for this somewhere? I looked under the modem
    settings and elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to the
    caller ID feature anywhere...not even under help.

    I ask because sometimes this feature works and other times it does not
    and wanted to check the settings to see if anything needs adjusted.

    Also is there an updated version of MS Fax Console for XP? I can't
    seem to find one. My ver is 5.1, build 2600 ...........service pack 2.

    Thanks.

    I.N. Ternet, Jan 5, 2006

  2. I.N. Ternet

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    I.N. Ternet spewed forth:
    > On WIN XP Home Edition, when I get a phone call, the number calling
    > flashes up on my screen from the system tray. This seems to be a
    > feature of MS Fax Console. Yes, I have caller ID service from my phone
    > company.
    >
    > I see settings for the FAX options, but nothing specific for the
    > caller ID function anywhere. (Turn on, off, name and/or number
    > displayed, etc.)
    >
    > Are there settings for this somewhere? I looked under the modem
    > settings and elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to the
    > caller ID feature anywhere...not even under help.

    Dunno. It's more likely a function of the fax software settings, not the
    hardware settings. The drivers for the modem, or an add-on package installed
    by the modem setup software, etc. Many modems ship with communications
    software that installs background monitors.

    > I ask because sometimes this feature works and other times it does not
    > and wanted to check the settings to see if anything needs adjusted.

    Those "other times" are probably because the sender has blocked their caller
    ID from showing. Easy to do.

    > Also is there an updated version of MS Fax Console for XP? I can't
    > seem to find one. My ver is 5.1, build 2600 ...........service pack 2.

    Why would you think there's a newer one?

    Toolman Tim, Jan 5, 2006

  3. I.N. Ternet

    kenny Guest

    when it dosnt work perhaps the person calling has asked for his number to
    not appear on caller ID phones etc....

    do you still get the ballon but with no number on it?

    if you do, then what I said explains it.

    Kenny

    kenny, Jan 5, 2006
  4. I.N. Ternet

    I.N. Ternet Guest

    To clarify... What I meant by "when it doesn't work" is I get no
    balloon at all on my system tray. But my phone does show a name and
    number.
    So it's like the caller ID function on the computer is not turned on
    or something.

    I.N. Ternet, Jan 6, 2006
  5. I.N. Ternet

    kenny Guest

    check if the FAX service
    and the associated services are running when the balloon does not appear..

    To go to the serviced go to control panel > administrative tools> services..

    when you find the fax service first see if its running, and right click >
    properties on it, it will list the associated (dependent) services..

    make sure that all of them are running

    kenny, Jan 6, 2006
  6. I.N. Ternet

    gib Guest

    > "I.N. Ternet" <> wrote in message
    > > On WIN XP Home Edition, when I get a phone call, the number calling
    > > flashes up on my screen from the system tray. This seems to be a
    > > feature of MS Fax Console. Yes, I have caller ID service from my phone
    > > company.
    > >
    > > I see settings for the FAX options, but nothing specific for the
    > > caller ID function anywhere. (Turn on, off, name and/or number
    > > displayed, etc.)
    > >
    > > Are there settings for this somewhere? I looked under the modem
    > > settings and elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to the
    > > caller ID feature anywhere...not even under help.
    > >
    > > I ask because sometimes this feature works and other times it does not
    > > and wanted to check the settings to see if anything needs adjusted.
    > >
    > > Also is there an updated version of MS Fax Console for XP? I can't
    > > seem to find one. My ver is 5.1, build 2600 ...........service pack 2.
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    Open fax Console and go to Tools/fax-print config/devices/properties/receive
    and disable 'enable device to receive' option.

    gib, Jan 6, 2006
  7. I.N. Ternet

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 19:05:12 +0200, "kenny" <-> wrote:

    >when it dosnt work perhaps the person calling has asked for his number to
    >not appear on caller ID phones etc....
    >
    >do you still get the ballon but with no number on it?
    >
    >if you do, then what I said explains it.

    What about when the caller top posts and does not use upper case?

    >Kenny
    >
    >"I.N. Ternet" <> wrote in message
    >> On WIN XP Home Edition, when I get a phone call, the number calling
    >> flashes up on my screen from the system tray. This seems to be a
    >> feature of MS Fax Console. Yes, I have caller ID service from my phone
    >> company.
    >>
    >> I see settings for the FAX options, but nothing specific for the
    >> caller ID function anywhere. (Turn on, off, name and/or number
    >> displayed, etc.)
    >>
    >> Are there settings for this somewhere? I looked under the modem
    >> settings and elsewhere and cannot even find any reference to the
    >> caller ID feature anywhere...not even under help.
    >>
    >> I ask because sometimes this feature works and other times it does not
    >> and wanted to check the settings to see if anything needs adjusted.
    >>
    >> Also is there an updated version of MS Fax Console for XP? I can't
    >> seem to find one. My ver is 5.1, build 2600 ...........service pack 2.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Jan 6, 2006
  8. I.N. Ternet

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Barry OGrady spewed forth:
    > On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 19:05:12 +0200, "kenny" <-> wrote:
    >
    >> when it dosnt work perhaps the person calling has asked for his
    >> number to not appear on caller ID phones etc....
    >>
    >> do you still get the ballon but with no number on it?
    >>
    >> if you do, then what I said explains it.

    > What about when the caller top posts and does not use upper case?

    <VBG>

    Toolman Tim, Jan 6, 2006
  9. I.N. Ternet

    Bri. Guest

    In news:,
    Barry OGrady typed...

    > What about when the caller top posts and does not use upper case?
    >
    > Barry
    > =====
    > Home page
    > http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og