    --
    Ilya Zeldes
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 6, 2009

  2. Hi
    You have to configure the File and printer sharing on the Win & computer.
    Since the other computers are Not Win & when you configure the Sharing you
    have to choose the Work Network configuration.
    Also upgrade WIN XP to WinXP SP3 (if you did not do it already).
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 7, 2009

  3. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    Hi, Jack,
    thanks for your suggestions. As far as I can see and understand it, the
    networking between machines running Win 7 and XP is possible. So far so
    good. But the rest is way above my technical ability... May you please
    provide a step-by-step instructions or refer me to some already available in
    writing? Sure, both XP machines are SP3 with all the patches etc.

    Ilya

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 7, 2009
  4. Hi
    Firewall instructions.
    Windows 7 Work Network,
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windows7/windows7_sharing.htm
    Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    Windows XP File Sharing -
    Printer Sharing XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 7, 2009
  5. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    On my XP machines, I have Windows Live OneCare Firewall etc. On Windows 7
    it's the McAfee security. Printer is shared, of course...
    I'll look in those links and will try to find my way around. So help me God!

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 8, 2009
  6. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    Well, Jack, thanks to your suggestions, I looked, I tried and I established
    a network. Now shared files on all 3 machines are accessible from each
    other.
    However, I cannot get from my XP machines to my shared printer, connected to
    Win 7 machine. Every time I use a wizard and try to connect from one of XP
    to Win 7 printer, I'm getting an error "Connect to Printer: Windows cannot
    connect to the printer..."
    When my network consisted of XP machines with Windows Live OneCare, the
    shared printer easily connected to all computers via the option in OneCare.
    Now, in Win 7 and McAfee, I could not find a way to do it. The link in your
    message is referencing to a procedure with XP, while I need instructions for
    Win 7...

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 8, 2009
  7. Hi
    Not clear to me what One care has to do with printing.
    If the printer is shared on the Win 7 computer, and other computer can
    print, the problem might be with the printer's drivers on the XP computer.
    Make sure that the computer has the correct printer driver when installed as
    Network printer.

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 9, 2009
  8. Ilya Zeldes

    Lem Guest

    Ilya Zeldes wrote:
    > Well, Jack, thanks to your suggestions, I looked, I tried and I
    > established a network. Now shared files on all 3 machines are accessible
    > from each other.
    > However, I cannot get from my XP machines to my shared printer,
    > connected to Win 7 machine. Every time I use a wizard and try to connect
    > from one of XP to Win 7 printer, I'm getting an error "Connect to
    > Printer: Windows cannot connect to the printer..."
    > When my network consisted of XP machines with Windows Live OneCare, the
    > shared printer easily connected to all computers via the option in
    > OneCare. Now, in Win 7 and McAfee, I could not find a way to do it. The
    > link in your message is referencing to a procedure with XP, while I need
    > instructions for Win 7...
    >
    > Ilya
    >
    > "Jack [MVP-Networking]" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free
    >> local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native
    >> Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to
    >> your Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone
    >> (consult your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
    >> General example, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
    >> Windows 7 Work Network,
    >> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windows7/windows7_sharing.htm
    >> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
    >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
    >> Windows XP File Sharing -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
    >> Printer Sharing XP -
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx
    >>
    >> Windows Native Firewall setting for Sharing XP -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
    >> Windows XP patch for Sharing with Vista (Not need for XP-SP3) -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
    >> When done hard reboot all network computers and the Router.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Ilya Zeldes" <> wrote in message
    >>> I used to have a wireless network of 3 machines all running Windows
    >>> XP. Now I have 2 machines with XP and one with Windows 7 x64. It has
    >>> wireless connection to Internet, but how can I get it into my network?
    >>> Thanks for your suggestions (preferably step-by-step)
    >>> --
    >>> Ilya Zeldes
    >>> Fort Myers, Florida

    For networks where the computers are all Windows XP Pro with Simple File
    Sharing turned off, you need to have at least one account on both (all)
    computers with the same name and password. You do not need to be logged
    into the same account on all machines and the passwords assigned to each
    user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just need to exist
    and match on all machines.

    I have not yet had the time to confirm the following, but it appears
    that (in the default configuration) in order to access a shared resource
    on a Windows 7 computer, you must access it from an account that has the
    same name and password as an account on the Win 7 computer.

    That is, if both boxes are XP Pro and box 1 has users Arnie, Bill, and
    Charlie and box 2 has Charlie, Dave, and Eddie, you should be able to
    access a share on box 2 while logged in as Arnie, Bill OR Charlie (as
    long as the Charlie account has the same p/w on both boxes). If box 2
    is Win 7, however, you may have to be logged in as Charlie on box 1 in
    order to access a share on box 2.

    As I say, I haven't confirmed the above, but that's how it seems to work
    for me.

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Dec 9, 2009
  9. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    Well, Jack and Lem, maybe I wasn't clear enough in the beginning, but we're
    talking about different configurations... Let me try again and describe my
    situation.
    I am the only user of my network, computers and printer. I have no
    passwords, and all machines use the same name of the workgroup.
    In the recent past, I had a home network of 3 machines, all running Windows
    XP Home. A Lexmark Z715 printer was connected to the desktop and was shared
    and used from any machine on that network. Which proves to me, that this
    printer is OK with Win XP networking.
    Now I have a working network (can get to shared folders from each machine)
    of one Win 7 and two Win XP machines. Lexmark printer connected to Win 7 and
    works fine with it. This printer is listed as default network printer on two
    other XP machines. However, when I try to print from any XP machine, the job
    goes to the printer, sits there, but is listed as "Deleting". It's never
    prints or deletes. Clicking on cancel all documents does not help. Only
    reboot clears the queue..
    Hope this time I painted a better picture... How to get this printer work on
    my network?

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 10, 2009
  10. Hi
    The printer worked OK under WinXP when it was installed there it is not
    installed there any more, thus some of the inside flags might not point
    correctly to the Network.
    At this point what I would do is delete the printer from all the computers
    and reinstalled it first on the Win 7, and then as a Network Printer on the
    XP computer.
    Maybe this can Help too,
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 10, 2009
  11. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    Jack,
    thanks for the reference. Yes, I know this article (I'm subscribed to Geek)
    and it helped me a lot. However, one thing I could not get - the x86
    driver... I searched for it on Lexmark and Microsoft sites, but could not
    find it. Any suggestions on where to get it from?

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 10, 2009
  12. Ilya Zeldes

    Lem Guest

    Do you mean the x86 driver for WinXP? If so:
    http://support.lexmark.com/index?pa...48&segment=SUPPORT&userlocale=EN_US&locale=en

    If you meant x64 (for your Win 7 box), there is a Vista x64 driver at
    http://support.lexmark.com/index?pa...XMARK_Z715&segment=SUPPORT&userlocale=EN_US#2,
    and Lexmark claims that the Vista driver will work for Win 7.

    Note that Lexmark printer drivers can sometimes be difficult to deal
    with. See http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm
    particularly about halfway down the page where the discussion of
    cleanspl.exe starts.

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Dec 10, 2009
  13. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    Lem, thanks for the link to x86. I tried it several times, but the site
    seems to be down. I tried from Lexmark site too, could not get any result
    either. Will try tomorrow again.

    Ilya

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 11, 2009
  14. Ilya Zeldes

    Lem Guest

    Ilya Zeldes wrote:
    > Lem, thanks for the link to x86. I tried it several times, but the site
    > seems to be down. I tried from Lexmark site too, could not get any
    > result either. Will try tomorrow again.
    >
    > Ilya

    Yes, the site seems a bit underpowered. Keep trying, and you should get
    it to display ... although I don't know what will happen if you actually
    try to download the file. ;)

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Dec 11, 2009
  15. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    Finally got through and looked at drivers. Actually, I have a driver for
    Windows Vista x64 already installed. Lexmark works fine with this driver on
    my Win 7 machine. On the Lexmark site, there is another Driver for Windows
    XP and Server 2003. But I do not think that I can have both drivers
    installed and printer working.
    What do you think?

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 11, 2009
  16. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    Well, just attempted to install x86 driver and got a message from Win 7 that
    it's not compatible... The end of the story... Or isn't?

    Ilya

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 11, 2009
  17. Ilya Zeldes

    Lem Guest

    The Vista x64 driver is the one you want for your Win 7 x64 box ... and
    it seems that you have already installed it.

    The x86 driver for Win XP and 2003 is for, well, your Win XP boxes
    (which are x86). Win 7 x64 properly rejected your attempt to install it.

    Lem, Dec 11, 2009
  18. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    Lem,
    sorry for confusion. I know that x86 is for XP and first I attempted to
    install x86 on my XP machine. Unfortunately, the wizard could not find the
    Lexmark on my network and I ended up with "printing document to a file"...
    Only after that I went back to Win 7 and you already know the end of the
    story. I think, the easiest solution for my problem would be to install
    another printer just for XP machines.

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 12, 2009
  19. Hi
    Assuming that you are in the USA (I do not know the price structure in other
    places).
    Many of us have one good photo type of printer connected to the computer
    that is used for photo quality work.
    On the network we put All in One Network capable computer (there are many of
    them for $100 to $150). for general use, some are even Wireless, so No
    cables are needed. It does Network Copy/Print/Scan, and more.
    Example, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828102430

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 12, 2009
  20. Ilya Zeldes

    Ilya Zeldes Guest

    Jack,
    I'm not as good as you may think... Sure, I'm in sunny Florida, not in the
    rest of the frozen USA. Also, I have three (3) printers stowed under the
    desk... But I'd like the darn network work as it supposed to work, as it
    used to work in the past, when I was happy... You see, from the early 1980s,
    when I started to use computers. I worked around them alone. Although it did
    not make me the computer wiz, I learned a thing or two. That's why I'd like
    to fix whatever is broken (or not!).
    Thanks for your help.

    Ilya Zeldes, Dec 12, 2009