Win XP and service packs

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Robert Cooze, Feb 20, 2005.

  1. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    My last Install Of XP pro was before any service packs came out I
    installed sp1 which broke several apps to do with vid capture (defaulted
    evryting to NTSC speck) and later put on sp2 which fixed most stuff.

    Now I have both SP1 & 2 on disk but doing google thing to see if I
    needed to set up winXP->SP1->SP2 or WINXP->SP2 Microsoft site sead that
    all should be peached before install of SP2 others were very vague to
    what should be done.

    Robert Cooze, Feb 20, 2005

  2. Robert Cooze

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    > My last Install Of XP pro was before any service packs came out I
    > installed sp1 which broke several apps to do with vid capture (defaulted
    > evryting to NTSC speck) and later put on sp2 which fixed most stuff.
    >
    > Now I have both SP1 & 2 on disk but doing google thing to see if I needed
    > to set up winXP->SP1->SP2 or WINXP->SP2 Microsoft site sead that all
    > should be peached before install of SP2 others were very vague to what
    > should be done.
    >

    > --
    > http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze
    >
    > / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
    > / / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
    > ___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/

    > Newsgroups
    > =----

    The answer is WinXP -> SP2 because Windows Service Packs are cumulative i.e.
    they don't require the previous SP's to be installed first. For more info
    look for an nz.comp thread titled "Windows Service Pack 2" started by "No
    Frills" on 16/02/2005.

    C9H8O4, Feb 20, 2005

  3. Robert Cooze

    Robert Cooze Guest

    C9H8O4 wrote:
    > "Robert Cooze" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>My last Install Of XP pro was before any service packs came out I
    >>installed sp1 which broke several apps to do with vid capture (defaulted
    >>evryting to NTSC speck) and later put on sp2 which fixed most stuff.
    >>
    >>Now I have both SP1 & 2 on disk but doing google thing to see if I needed
    >>to set up winXP->SP1->SP2 or WINXP->SP2 Microsoft site sead that all
    >>should be peached before install of SP2 others were very vague to what
    >>should be done.
    >>

    >>--
    >> http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze
    >>
    >> / __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
    >>/ / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
    >>___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/

    >>Newsgroups
    >>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
    >>=----

    > The answer is WinXP -> SP2 because Windows Service Packs are cumulative i.e.
    > they don't require the previous SP's to be installed first. For more info
    > look for an nz.comp thread titled "Windows Service Pack 2" started by "No
    > Frills" on 16/02/2005.

    I lost most of that thred due to orcon's stuffed news feed I will re
    scan and have a look. the fact is Microsoft did not say in there own
    faq's this point.
    I rember all the Sh** with NT4 servers and havving to re patch all the
    time after a single change...
    I suppose it makes sence after all the ability to do a slipstream install..

    Robert Cooze, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Robert Cooze

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:17:39 +1300, Robert Cooze wrote:

    >> The answer is WinXP -> SP2 because Windows Service Packs are cumulative
    >> i.e. they don't require the previous SP's to be installed first. For
    >> more info look for an nz.comp thread titled "Windows Service Pack 2"
    >> started by "No Frills" on 16/02/2005.
    >>

    > I lost most of that thred due to orcon's stuffed news feed I will re scan
    > and have a look. the fact is Microsoft did not say in there own faq's this
    > point.
    > I rember all the Sh** with NT4 servers and havving to re patch all the
    > time after a single change...
    > I suppose it makes sence after all the ability to do a slipstream
    > install..

    NT 4 did require repatching if you installed new components off the CD -
    and yes it was a pain.

    W2K and later didn't need this though. They cached all the SP files and
    used the latest copies when installing new bits - or something like that :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 21, 2005