Win XP and replacement for MGI Photosuite 4

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by NOTvalid@Queensbridge.us, Aug 26, 2006.

  1. Guest

    On my Win ME computer I was very happy with MGI Photosuite 4

    I recently got Win XP w/SP2.

    I would normally want to install MGI on it,
    but read that SP2 on WIn XP might cause problems.

    I need to be able to:

    crop,

    touch up too lite or too dark

    add text

    compose

    remove green screen or blue screen background and put subject on new
    background.

    All above I can do w/MGI on my Win ME

    Anyone have suggetsions?

    Please reply in NG

    ------------
    Incredibly low long distance phone rates. As low as USA-Canada 1.9CPM!
    Works as
    prepaid phone card. PIN not needed for calls from home or cell phone.
    Compare
    the rates at https://www.OneSuite.com No monthly fee or minimum. Use
    Promotion/SuiteTreat Code: "FREEoffer23" for FREE time.
    Altho from USA payphones there is a connection fee, there is NONE from
    other
    phones or Canadian payphones. Also works FROM many other countries.
    , Aug 26, 2006

  2. Bob Williams Guest

    wrote:
    > On my Win ME computer I was very happy with MGI Photosuite 4
    >
    > I recently got Win XP w/SP2.
    >
    > I would normally want to install MGI on it,
    > but read that SP2 on WIn XP might cause problems.
    >
    > I need to be able to:
    >
    > crop,
    >
    > touch up too lite or too dark
    >
    > add text
    >
    > compose
    >
    > remove green screen or blue screen background and put subject on new
    > background.
    >
    > All above I can do w/MGI on my Win ME
    >
    > Anyone have suggetsions?
    >
    > Please reply in NG
    >

    > ------------
    > Incredibly low long distance phone rates. As low as USA-Canada 1.9CPM!
    > Works as
    > prepaid phone card. PIN not needed for calls from home or cell phone.
    > Compare
    > the rates at https://www.OneSuite.com No monthly fee or minimum. Use
    > Promotion/SuiteTreat Code: "FREEoffer23" for FREE time.
    > Altho from USA payphones there is a connection fee, there is NONE from
    > other
    > phones or Canadian payphones. Also works FROM many other countries.

    Just Install Photosuite 4 on Xp and see if your fears are warranted.
    If they are, just uninstall PS4 and get on with your life.
    Then consider the current version of Photosuite or Photoshop Elements V 4.0
    Bob Williams
    Bob Williams, Aug 26, 2006

  3. Paul Heslop Guest

    Bob Williams wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > On my Win ME computer I was very happy with MGI Photosuite 4
    > >
    > > I recently got Win XP w/SP2.
    > >
    > > I would normally want to install MGI on it,
    > > but read that SP2 on WIn XP might cause problems.
    > >
    > > I need to be able to:
    > >
    > > crop,
    > >
    > > touch up too lite or too dark
    > >
    > > add text
    > >
    > > compose
    > >
    > > remove green screen or blue screen background and put subject on new
    > > background.
    > >
    > > All above I can do w/MGI on my Win ME
    > >
    > > Anyone have suggetsions?
    > >
    > > Please reply in NG
    > >

    > > ------------
    > > Incredibly low long distance phone rates. As low as USA-Canada 1.9CPM!
    > > Works as
    > > prepaid phone card. PIN not needed for calls from home or cell phone.
    > > Compare
    > > the rates at https://www.OneSuite.com No monthly fee or minimum. Use
    > > Promotion/SuiteTreat Code: "FREEoffer23" for FREE time.
    > > Altho from USA payphones there is a connection fee, there is NONE from
    > > other
    > > phones or Canadian payphones. Also works FROM many other countries.

    > Just Install Photosuite 4 on Xp and see if your fears are warranted.
    > If they are, just uninstall PS4 and get on with your life.
    > Then consider the current version of Photosuite or Photoshop Elements V 4.0
    > Bob Williams

    I agree about the install, it won't do any harm and might do some
    good, but I'll add Paintshop Pro to the list of progs as a
    replacement.
    --
    Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Aug 26, 2006
  4. jeremy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On my Win ME computer I was very happy with MGI Photosuite 4
    >
    > I recently got Win XP w/SP2.
    >
    > I would normally want to install MGI on it,
    > but read that SP2 on WIn XP might cause problems.
    >
    > I need to be able to:
    >
    > crop,
    >
    > touch up too lite or too dark
    >
    > add text
    >
    > compose
    >
    > remove green screen or blue screen background and put subject on new
    > background.
    >
    > All above I can do w/MGI on my Win ME
    >
    > Anyone have suggetsions?
    >
    > Please reply in NG
    >

    > ------------
    > Incredibly low long distance phone rates. As low as USA-Canada 1.9CPM!
    > Works as
    > prepaid phone card. PIN not needed for calls from home or cell phone.
    > Compare
    > the rates at https://www.OneSuite.com No monthly fee or minimum. Use
    > Promotion/SuiteTreat Code: "FREEoffer23" for FREE time.
    > Altho from USA payphones there is a connection fee, there is NONE from
    > other
    > phones or Canadian payphones. Also works FROM many other countries.

    Paint Shop Pro X

    Has one-step photo correction, plus all the manual adjustments you could
    ever want.

    Easy learning curve.

    Free 30 day trial. Download at Corel web site.
    jeremy, Aug 26, 2006
  5. Guest Guest

    MGI version 4 runs fine on my XP SP2. Later versions by Roxie suck.
    Old Bob

    Guest, Aug 26, 2006
  6. Guest

    wrote:
    > MGI version 4 runs fine on my XP SP2. Later versions by Roxie suck.
    > Old Bob

    Thanks, I had seen that newer version were not as good.

    Otherwise getting update version would have been the obvious answer

    I see same thing with other pgms, sometimes newer versions are not as
    good.

    I had also considered GIMP for photo editing as I like the idea of open
    source.

    What I don't like is the work files of one photo editor [in MGI's case,
    ..PZP files] apparently not usable in any other photo editing software.
    Is this the case with all photo editors? If so that certainly could be
    problematic as one advances thru newer hardwqre and OS's
    , Aug 26, 2006
  7. Guest

    UPDATE

    wrote:
    > MGI version 4 runs fine on my XP SP2. Later versions by Roxie suck.
    > Old Bob

    I installed on my Win Xp SP 2

    It runs perfectly.

    Thanks a lot for your info.

    I prefer not to install and un-install as I sometimes think stuff is
    left in registry and elsewhere
    , Aug 27, 2006
  8. Paul Heslop Guest

    wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > MGI version 4 runs fine on my XP SP2. Later versions by Roxie suck.
    > > Old Bob

    > Thanks, I had seen that newer version were not as good.
    >
    > Otherwise getting update version would have been the obvious answer
    >
    > I see same thing with other pgms, sometimes newer versions are not as
    > good.
    >
    > I had also considered GIMP for photo editing as I like the idea of open
    > source.
    >
    > What I don't like is the work files of one photo editor [in MGI's case,
    > .PZP files] apparently not usable in any other photo editing software.
    > Is this the case with all photo editors? If so that certainly could be
    > problematic as one advances thru newer hardwqre and OS's

    I guess most people try to select one which most programs use, such as
    TIFF or JPG or BMP. I think a few of them have their own and will try
    to get you to use that one first
    Paul Heslop, Aug 27, 2006
  9. Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > I guess most people try to select one which most programs use, such as
    > TIFF or JPG or BMP. I think a few of them have their own and will try
    > to get you to use that one first

    what I mean is the "work" files that you can modify later on.
    So if I create a postcard and a month later I want to change some text
    I can change just that one line by opening that work file.

    With MGI PS it is a ".PZP" file
    , Aug 30, 2006
  10. Paul Heslop Guest

    wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > I guess most people try to select one which most programs use, such as
    > > TIFF or JPG or BMP. I think a few of them have their own and will try
    > > to get you to use that one first

    > what I mean is the "work" files that you can modify later on.
    > So if I create a postcard and a month later I want to change some text
    > I can change just that one line by opening that work file.
    >
    > With MGI PS it is a ".PZP" file

    yeah, their own files i think, and it would be awkward as obviously
    they have to retain all data, such as text and layers etc.
    Paul Heslop, Aug 30, 2006