Win XP 64 (TAP upgrade) will not run

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Brian P Fielding, Sep 2, 2005.

  1. I have a dual booted PC with Win XP SP2 and Win XP 64 (RC2).

    The Win XP 64 ran OK. Having, at last, received my TAP upgrade I upgraded
    (re-installed) Win XP 64.

    The installation appeared to go OK.

    I preloaded Silicon Image 3114 SATA Raid5 version 1.2.3.1 driver and
    the nVidia SATA Raid version 6.66 drivers.

    The partition for Win XP 64 is the 3rd (Volume E:) on the nVidia SATA and is
    set up as a Raid 0+1

    At the stage of finalising the installation on rebooting the PC looped. On
    preventing a reboot the error:
    *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFFADFE480F3C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC00000034,
    0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)
    was reported.

    The motherboard is a gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI with a dual nVidia 6600 GT video
    card (GV-3D1).

    Through WinXP (which still runs OK) I have access to the Win XP 64
    installation.

    Can you please help

    Thanks
    Brian
    Brian P Fielding, Sep 2, 2005

  2. Brian P Fielding

    Rick Guest

    The error you list below, 0x0000007B, is telling you the SATA drivers
    you used are not decorated correctly for x64. This has been posted
    numerous times since December '04 when it became a requirement that
    Microsoft added.

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT] wrote:

    >Enforcement of X64 INF platform decorations in RC1:
    >
    >Starting in RC1 of Server 2003 SP1, platform decorations are required for
    >all X64 Device INFs. This means that non-decorated X64 bit device

    drivers
    >and some services that install via INF files will not install. The
    >[Manufacturer] section and [Models] section names must be decorated with
    >".ntamd64".
    >
    >Please check the INFs of third party devices that you may need to install
    >to make sure they have been updated. If you upgrade to RC1 and

    devices or
    >services fail to install, this will be one likely cause. Please file

    beta
    >bugs against any X64 driver packages that do not install due to lack of
    >decorations.
    >
    >For more information on use of these decorations see the whitepaper at
    >http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/install/64INF_reqs.mspx.
    >
    >Using F6
    >Storage drivers that use undecorated INFs will initially load using F6

    but
    >will generate bugcheck 7B when the system restarts for the last time

    after
    >GUI Mode setup. This is because the F6 mechanism does not use SetupAPI
    >logic to load the storage drivers. To install such drivers, either get a
    >newer version of the driver that uses 64-bit INF decorations, or decorate
    >the INF manually as described below. It is not possible to recover from
    >bugcheck 7B; instead, you must update the storage driver as described and
    >restart the setup process.
    >
    >Why are we enforcing decorations?
    >On current 64-bit builds of Server 2003 SP1, when a user attempts to
    >install a driver package with an undecorated INF file on the wrong
    >architecture, it will fail in an unintuitive way. This is especially a
    >problem on X64\AMD64 systems since many of these users do not distinguish
    >between x86 and X64 drivers. By enforcing INF decorations, only drivers
    >targeting X64 systems will be allowed to install. This will reduce

    support
    >costs for our partners and improve the customer experience.
    >
    >Example:
    >The following sample shows the same [Manufacturer] and [Models] sections
    >with a TargetOSVersion decoration that specifies the x64-based platform,
    >where "x64" refers to the 64-bit architecture used in AMD64 and Intel
    >Extended Memory 64 Technology systems. The .ntamd64 decoration in the INF
    >is used for all x64-based systems.
    >
    >[Manufacturer]
    >%mycompany% = MyCompanyModels, NTamd64
    >
    >[MyCompanyModels.NTamd64]
    >%MyDev% = mydevInstall, mydevHwid
    >
    >INFs that do not have [Manufacturer] sections are not impacted by this
    >change.
    >
    >How to work around INF decoration enforcement:
    >
    >Method 1: To turn off the undecorated models check for AMD64,

    create the
    >following non-zero number registry value:
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup: REG_DWORD:
    >DisableDecoratedModelsRequirement
    > Set it to say 1, reboot, and then you will be able to install

    undecorated

    Rick, Sep 2, 2005

  3. For more on F6 and loading storage drivers:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/06/11/52162.aspx

    And for some more on the different modes for storage driver load during
    setup, and why you care:
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/07/25/59560.aspx

    HTH
    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 3, 2005
  4. Thanks to Rick and Charlie for replying

    The INF files appear to be decorated correctly, assuming they are case
    blind (i.e. not case sensitive)
    I intend spending some time to check them out.

    I'll get back to the group in the next 2 days
    Thanks
    Brian

    Brian P Fielding, Sep 3, 2005
  5. Problem resolved:

    It appears that I should be using a different set of drivers for this board.

    I need to use pata drivers rather that sata (pata introduce parallel ata
    drivers) even though I'm just using the sata raid. The previously used beta
    drivers did this - even though they were sata drivers !?

    Having used these Win XP 64 loads correctly.

    Thanks for your help
    Brian

    "Brian P Fielding" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks to Rick and Charlie for replying
    >
    > The INF files appear to be decorated correctly, assuming they are case
    > blind (i.e. not case sensitive)
    > I intend spending some time to check them out.
    >
    > I'll get back to the group in the next 2 days
    > Thanks
    > Brian

    >> For more on F6 and loading storage drivers:
    >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/06/11/52162.aspx
    >>
    >> And for some more on the different modes for storage driver load during
    >> setup, and why you care:
    >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2005/07/25/59560.aspx
    >>
    >> HTH
    >> --
    >> Charlie.
    >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >>
    >> Brian P Fielding wrote:
    >>> I have a dual booted PC with Win XP SP2 and Win XP 64 (RC2).
    >>>
    >>> The Win XP 64 ran OK. Having, at last, received my TAP upgrade I
    >>> upgraded
    >>> (re-installed) Win XP 64.
    >>>
    >>> The installation appeared to go OK.
    >>>
    >>> I preloaded Silicon Image 3114 SATA Raid5 version 1.2.3.1 driver and
    >>> the nVidia SATA Raid version 6.66 drivers.
    >>>
    >>> The partition for Win XP 64 is the 3rd (Volume E:) on the nVidia SATA
    >>> and
    >>> is set up as a Raid 0+1
    >>>
    >>> At the stage of finalising the installation on rebooting the PC looped.
    >>> On preventing a reboot the error:
    >>> *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFFADFE480F3C0, 0xFFFFFFFFC00000034,
    >>> 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)
    >>> was reported.
    >>>
    >>> The motherboard is a gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI with a dual nVidia 6600 GT
    >>> video card (GV-3D1).
    >>>
    >>> Through WinXP (which still runs OK) I have access to the Win XP 64
    >>> installation.
    >>>

    >>> Can you please help
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Brian