Win XP 64 and VS 2005 Web Apps

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=, Jul 12, 2005.

  1. I have a dual boot machine, runs Win XP pro and Win XP Pro 64, Win XP boots
    from C and Win XP 64 boot from D.

    They both have VS 2005 Beta 2 installed.

    I have a webapp developed in Win XP (32) which has gone well and runs fine
    in XP.

    I Now want to get this same app running under IIS on XP 64.

    I have had some issues as it is unclear exactly how to do this, but I played
    around with Publish option in VS 2005 IDE and got the app copied or whatever,
    to the Default Web Site, the app is invisible in the Admin Tools.

    I can open and build the project in VS 2005 in XP 64, this is OK.

    But

    I cannot debug it (it says debugging not enabled or something)

    I cannot start it in IE, when I tried I got this

    The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write
    access to 'D:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50215\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files'.

    Now I dont want to go changing the access rights to this dir, this seems the
    wrong way to go.

    Now I may have had a bogus URL when I got the above message, I cant tell
    which is actually correct because noen of my attempts work.

    Also unlike in XP 32, the IIS folder has a new node (with a small yellow
    gear wheel) for various "application" modules or assemblies (cant recall the
    exact term).

    So any guidance is much appreciatred.

    If it is easier, I can redo the whole thing, the ASP web app is in a fodler
    on my Drive C (the solution folder created when running Win32).

    So if it ieasier to start again, then please explain the steps, do I
    manually create a virtual dir? do I run the "Publish" option in the IDE or do
    si do something else?

    What I want is to be able to work on the project source from either the Win
    32 or the Win 64 boot, with each OS having its own IIS so I can access the
    site whichever OS I have booted.

    Many tahnks
    Hugh

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=, Jul 12, 2005

    Hugo wrote:
    > I have a dual boot machine, runs Win XP pro and Win XP Pro 64, Win XP boots
    > from C and Win XP 64 boot from D.
    >
    > They both have VS 2005 Beta 2 installed.
    >
    > I have a webapp developed in Win XP (32) which has gone well and runs fine
    > in XP.
    >
    > I Now want to get this same app running under IIS on XP 64.
    >
    > I have had some issues as it is unclear exactly how to do this, but I played
    > around with Publish option in VS 2005 IDE and got the app copied or whatever,
    > to the Default Web Site, the app is invisible in the Admin Tools.
    >
    > I can open and build the project in VS 2005 in XP 64, this is OK.
    >
    > But
    >
    > I cannot debug it (it says debugging not enabled or something)
    >
    > I cannot start it in IE, when I tried I got this
    >
    > The current identity (NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE) does not have write
    > access to 'D:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50215\Temporary ASP.NET
    > Files'.
    >
    > Now I dont want to go changing the access rights to this dir, this seems the
    > wrong way to go.
    >
    > Now I may have had a bogus URL when I got the above message, I cant tell
    > which is actually correct because noen of my attempts work.
    >
    > Also unlike in XP 32, the IIS folder has a new node (with a small yellow
    > gear wheel) for various "application" modules or assemblies (cant recall the
    > exact term).
    >
    > So any guidance is much appreciatred.
    >
    > If it is easier, I can redo the whole thing, the ASP web app is in a fodler
    > on my Drive C (the solution folder created when running Win32).
    >
    > So if it ieasier to start again, then please explain the steps, do I
    > manually create a virtual dir? do I run the "Publish" option in the IDE or do
    > si do something else?
    >
    > What I want is to be able to work on the project source from either the Win
    > 32 or the Win 64 boot, with each OS having its own IIS so I can access the
    > site whichever OS I have booted.
    >
    > Many tahnks
    > Hugh

    Hello Hugh,

    You'll have much better luck at one of the following.

    microsoft.public.vstudio.general
    microsoft.public.vstudio.development

    HTH,

    - --
    Steve Thompson
    Key ID: 0x495F423B http://pgpkeys.telering.at
    CBEC CFA9 94DB B835 5B86 4F7B 5EFF 6369 495F 423B

    Online 64 .NET | http://www.online64.net/
    Help get the forums going.

    Steve Thompson, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Thanks

    One very frustrating thing is that I use IE to access these newsgroups.

    The group names people tell me to use (eg. microsoft.public.vstudio.general)
    bear no resemblance to the tree hierarchy I see in the left pane of my
    browser!

    I cannot find any way to locate shc groups by name.

    Why did MS build this tree structure to be completely different to the
    newsgroups fully qualified names???

    I have no way of locating the groups that you have suggested!!!

    Ths

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=, Jul 12, 2005

    Hugo wrote:
> [...]

    >>on my Drive C (the solution folder created when running Win32).

    >>So if it ieasier to start again, then please explain the steps, do I
    >>manually create a virtual dir? do I run the "Publish" option in the IDE or do
    >>si do something else?

    >>What I want is to be able to work on the project source from either the Win
    >>32 or the Win 64 boot, with each OS having its own IIS so I can access the
    >>site whichever OS I have booted.

    >>Many tahnks
    >>Hugh

    > Hello Hugh,
    >
    > You'll have much better luck at one of the following.
    >
    > microsoft.public.vstudio.general
    > microsoft.public.vstudio.development
    >
    > HTH,
    >

    > --
    > Steve Thompson
    > Key ID: 0x495F423B http://pgpkeys.telering.at
    > CBEC CFA9 94DB B835 5B86 4F7B 5EFF 6369 495F 423B

    Hugo,

    The Microsoft Newsgroup home page can be found here
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx. This page
    will allow you to select the group you want by product, technology or
    audience.

    (Warning!! Watch for line wrap)

    microsoft.public.vstudio.general can be found here at
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...ed3-4bb7-4fa2-b7c0-e4b395e26f35&lang=en&cr=us

    and microsoft.public.vstudio.development can be found here at
    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...b4d-7a79-42c0-844a-4bced1158a96&lang=en&cr=us

    HTH,

    - --

    Steve Thompson, Jul 12, 2005
  5. Actually he might want to try the microsoft.private.whidbey newsgroups since
    Visual Studio 2005 is still in beta.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 12, 2005