    Is it possible to do an in-place upgrade of the subject mentioned?

    (I have tried to find such info, but it seems not mentioned anywhere)

    Thanks!
    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), May 6, 2006

  2. Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

    Jon_Hildrum Guest

    No

    --
    Jon Hildrum
    DTS MVP

    www.hildrum.com
    "Egbert Nierop (MVP for IIS)" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Jon_Hildrum, May 6, 2006

  3. Egbert:

    There is no upgrade path from x86 to x64. A clean install to a
    different partition or drive is required.

    Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, May 6, 2006
  4. "Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2" <> wrote in message
    > Egbert:
    >
    > There is no upgrade path from x86 to x64. A clean install to a
    > different partition or drive is required.

    ok thanks, I was afraid for that, already. This must be related (of course)
    to the 32-bit driver mess that would occur (32-bit drivers cannot run, I
    know).

    does the files and settings transfer wizard cure a lot of the 'upgrade'
    pain?

    Thanks...
    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), May 6, 2006
  5. Egbert Nierop (MVP for IIS) wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it possible to do an in-place upgrade of the subject mentioned?
    >
    > (I have tried to find such info, but it seems not mentioned anywhere)
    >
    > Thanks!

    No. There is no way to perform an in-place upgrade to WinXPx64; this
    edition of the OS is available only as an OEM product, so it cannot
    perform an upgrade from an earlier version of Windows.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, May 6, 2006
  6. Hello Egbert,
    You probably need the version referenced in this update:
    896344 You cannot transfer files and settings from a computer that is
    running a 32-bit edition of Windows XP to a computer that is running
    Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;896344

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: "Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)" <>
    <Subject: Re: Win XP 32-bit upgradable to x64?
    <Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 15:00:37 +0200
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <> different partition or drive is required.
    <
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 6, 2006
  7. As folks have mentioned, there is no direct upgrade path. The Files and
    Settings Transfer Wizard works, IF you make sure you download the updated
    one for XP 32 bit. And all of these topics are covered on my x64 FAQ and
    blog site. There's a good overview there from November that you might find
    useful. http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, May 7, 2006