    Instead of Windows for netbbook use, will we ever have
    an OS designed specifically for bet books?

    , Sep 24, 2009

  2. XS11E Guest

    wrote:

    > Instead of Windows for netbbook use, will we ever have
    > an OS designed specifically for bet books?

    If there were a need there would be, I doubt if there's enough need to
    convince anyone to write such an OS.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:

    XS11E, Sep 24, 2009

  3. John Holmes Guest

    "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Instead of Windows for netbbook use, will we ever have
    > an OS designed specifically for bet books?

    Yes, as soon as you stop drinkin'
    HTH

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Sep 24, 2009
  4. G. Morgan Guest

    On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:34:59 -0500, wrote:

    >Instead of Windows for netbbook use, will we ever have
    >an OS designed specifically for bet books?

    Win7 will run on netbooks. Also, some Linux flavors are specifically tailored
    for them.

    http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/unr

    G. Morgan, Sep 25, 2009
  5. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in news::

    > Instead of Windows for netbbook use, will we ever have
    > an OS designed specifically for bet books?

    1. Yes, It's currently in development and it's called Hooker - after a
    character from the movie "The Sting".

    2. Yes, it's called wince - after the resulting permanent expression
    on any owner of such a device.

    3. Yes, it's called windows cheap. Doesn't play games, won't run faster
    than any 386 and won't *ever* connect to the internet.

    4. Yes, it's called palm. After the lingering feeling of the massive weight
    of bills removed from that hand. But it's not available in any store you can
    buy microsoft products. In other words anywhere.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 25, 2009
  6. Gordon Guest

    wrote:
    > Instead of Windows for netbbook use, will we ever have
    > an OS designed specifically for bet books?

    There's been one out for at LEAST nine months - Ubuntu 9.04 Remix -
    specially designed for netbooks.

    Gordon, Sep 25, 2009
  7. G. Morgan Guest

    On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:07:51 -0400, Meat Plow <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:34:59 -0500, rote:
    >
    >>Instead of Windows for netbbook use, will we ever have
    >>an OS designed specifically for bet books?

    >Already been done, have a look.
    >
    >A combination of Windows CE Windows ME and NT.
    >
    >http://www.philsfiles.info/personal/images/windows-cement.jpg

    Lol... You had me going there for a second.

    G. Morgan, Sep 25, 2009
  8. richard Guest

    On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:07:51 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:34:59 -0500, rote:
    >
    >>Instead of Windows for netbbook use, will we ever have
    >>an OS designed specifically for bet books?

    > Already been done, have a look.
    >
    > A combination of Windows CE Windows ME and NT.
    >
    > http://www.philsfiles.info/personal/images/windows-cement.jpg

    Yep. That should suit you perfectly.

    richard, Sep 25, 2009
  9. Dan C Guest

    On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:34:59 -0500, me wrote:

    > Instead of Windows for netbbook use, will we ever have an OS designed
    > specifically for bet books?

    We already do.

    Free hint: It's not Windows.

    It's better, and it's free.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.

    Dan C, Sep 26, 2009
  10. Gordon Guest

    Dan C wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:34:59 -0500, me wrote:
    >
    >> Instead of Windows for netbbook use, will we ever have an OS designed
    >> specifically for bet books?

    > We already do.
    >
    > Free hint: It's not Windows.
    >
    > It's better, and it's free.

    I've told him that already!

    Gordon, Sep 26, 2009
  11. On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:17:53 +0100, Gordon pinched out a steaming pile of:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >> On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:34:59 -0500, me wrote:
    >>
    >>> Instead of Windows for netbbook use, will we ever have an OS designed
    >>> specifically for bet books?

    >> We already do.
    >>
    >> Free hint: It's not Windows.
    >>
    >> It's better, and it's free.
    >>

    > I've told him that already!

    XP is easier to set up than linux for wireless.
    That said, I prefer linux.

    Proof of Americas 3rd world status:
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    Cash for *who*?
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/

    §ñühwø£f, Sep 26, 2009
  12. Guest

    Dan C <> wrote:

    >We already do.
    >
    >Free hint: It's not Windows.
    >
    >It's better, and it's free.

    I wasn't aware of Ubuntu for net books but am now!

    What I envision is a tablet type netbook with an OS
    that would allow you to just turn it off/on without ANY
    booting or coming out of hibernation.... and an OS that
    will allow that. Plus an OS designed for the small
    screen of my Dell Mini 9

    , Sep 26, 2009
  13. wrote:

    Please don't multi-post. I just saw your identical question in
    alt.os.linux.ubuntu .. cross-post to relevant newsgroups instead, if you
    must.

    > I wasn't aware of Ubuntu for net books but am now!
    >
    > What I envision is a tablet type netbook with an OS that would allow
    > you to just turn it off/on without ANY booting or coming out of
    > hibernation....

    I cannot think of any OS that will "just be running." It/they *have* to
    boot up from a power-off situation. Hibernation is something else; the
    OS is still running (power is still on). But it will still require a bit
    of time to resurrect what you were doing at the time.

    Car analogy: when you step into your car in the morning, you wouldn't
    expect it would already be running, would you?

    > and an OS that will allow that. Plus an OS designed for the small
    > screen of my Dell Mini 9

    Most Ubuntus will handle a myriad of screen resolutions.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 26, 2009
  14. Gordon Guest

    §ñühwø£f wrote:

    > XP is easier to set up than linux for wireless.

    No it's not.

    Gordon, Sep 26, 2009
  15. Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:33:09 +0000, §ñühwø£f wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:17:53 +0100, Gordon pinched out a steaming pile
    > of:
    >
    >> Dan C wrote:

    >>> We already do.
    >>>
    >>> Free hint: It's not Windows.
    >>>
    >>> It's better, and it's free.
    >>>

    >> I've told him that already!

    > XP is easier to set up than linux for wireless.

    Hogwash.

    Well....., it depends on the hardware. A little research prior to buying
    prevents problems.

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he garotted another passing Liberal.

    Dan C, Sep 26, 2009
  16. a Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote

    > I cannot think of any OS that will "just be running." It/they *have* to
    > boot up from a power-off situation.

    The Commodore 64's OS was instantly ready when switched on. All one had to
    do after that was load an app, no different to loading an app on Windows or
    Linux. Oh, for those good old days again. <sigh>.

    Oh, and the Psion series of palmtop computers were instantly on, too. :)

    > Hibernation is something else; the OS is still running (power is still
    > on).

    No, that's Standby. With Hibernation, the power is off until turned on
    again,
    and then the memory contents of the PC are reloaded.

    > Car analogy: when you step into your car in the morning, you wouldn't
    > expect it would already be running, would you?

    Of course not. But the analogy is flawed because the two devices are
    entirely
    different, and PCs can be instantly on if desired (as proven above). It's
    just
    that nobody at Microsoft or Linux will make them work that way. Commodore
    and
    Psion did it, so why not Microsoft and Linux? Laziness and lack of
    initiative.

    a, Sep 27, 2009
  17. a wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote
    >> I cannot think of any OS that will "just be running." It/they *have*
    >> to boot up from a power-off situation.

    > The Commodore 64's OS was instantly ready when switched on. All one
    > had to do after that was load an app, no different to loading an app
    > on Windows or Linux. Oh, for those good old days again. <sigh>.

    Ok, I should have stated "current" computers. Laptops, desktops, etc.

    > Oh, and the Psion series of palmtop computers were instantly on, too.
    > :)

    Well, ok...

    >> Hibernation is something else; the OS is still running (power is
    >> still on).

    > No, that's Standby. With Hibernation, the power is off until turned
    > on again, and then the memory contents of the PC are reloaded.

    My error in terminology.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 27, 2009
  18. On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:05:59 +0100, Gordon pinched out a steaming pile of:

    > §ñühwø£f wrote:
    >

    >> XP is easier to set up than linux for wireless.

    > No it's not.

    Yes actually it was for me :)
    Xp came with the driver for the broadcom43xx wifi card already.
    automagically detected and installed it.
    I fucked with 5 different linux distros before finding that tinyME would
    set it up-easy peasy.
    The issue with tinyME? Adding a prrinter with apt-get caused X to crash.
    Tried Simply Mepis, wifi worked, no media player would work with shoutcast.
    Suse 10.2, serial mouse? What serial mouse? wifi? Uh...nope.
    Mepis 7, broadcom works *IF* you do iwconfig eth0 <essid> as root of
    course.
    So dont tellme wifi is teh easy under linux,bro.

    ^_^

    §ñühwø£f, Sep 27, 2009
  19. On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:25:00 +0000, Dan C pinched out a steaming pile of:

    > On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 14:33:09 +0000, §ñühwø£f wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 10:17:53 +0100, Gordon pinched out a steaming pile
    >> of:

    >>> I've told him that already!

    >> XP is easier to set up than linux for wireless.

    > Hogwash.
    >
    > Well....., it depends on the hardware. A little research prior to buying
    > prevents problems.

    You know, its not like I never tried this before.
    Thats why I have the ahteros based pcmcia card as a backup.
    But I do like to get the stock hardware working if possible.

    ^_^

    §ñühwø£f, Sep 27, 2009
  20. Andy Guest

    §ñühwø£f wrote:

    > On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 22:05:59 +0100, Gordon pinched out a steaming pile of:
    >
    >> §ñühwø£f wrote:
    >>

    >>> XP is easier to set up than linux for wireless.

    >> No it's not.

    > Yes actually it was for me :)
    > Xp came with the driver for the broadcom43xx wifi card already.
    > automagically detected and installed it.
    > I fucked with 5 different linux distros before finding that tinyME would
    > set it up-easy peasy.
    > The issue with tinyME? Adding a prrinter with apt-get caused X to crash.
    > Tried Simply Mepis, wifi worked, no media player would work with shoutcast.
    > Suse 10.2, serial mouse? What serial mouse? wifi? Uh...nope.
    > Mepis 7, broadcom works *IF* you do iwconfig eth0 <essid> as root of
    > course.
    > So dont tellme wifi is teh easy under linux,bro.

    Interesting.

    Not that it helps you much now, but I installed ubuntu 9.04 on this
    laptop (Lenovo G550) that has a Broadcom 4312 wireless card - it worked
    straight away, just using the default Network Manager (nm-applet) and
    driver built in to the OS.

    Andy.

    --
    Registered Linux User #478766