Win Vista & Win 7

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by vsoler, Dec 8, 2009.

  1. vsoler

    vsoler Guest

    I have at home 2 PCs:

    1. a Workstation connected via Ethernet to the router with Win 7 and a
    local printer
    2. a Laptop connected wireless to the router with Win Vista

    I want to see from each PC the files of the other. From the Laptop I
    want to be able to print.

    I am trying to setup a local network

    In the Explorer, each PC is able to see the other (under Network/PC)
    However, the problem comes when I am asked for users and passwords. In
    each PC I only have 1 user, with administrator rights and no password.

    When from the workstation I click on the Laptop icon, I am asked:

    Key in your Network password (in order to connect to the Laptop) =>
    Here a user and a password are required: Where could I find them?
    since my 2 users do not have passwords, is Win asking for something
    different?

    I think I have tried all possible combinations, but the system is
    still asking for a password. Where could I get it? Or else, where can
    I set it up?

    Any help would be highly appreciated.

    Vicente Soler
    vsoler, Dec 8, 2009

  2. "no password" is the problem. You must assign password for sharing in Vista
    and Win 7. This search result may help too.
    Vista Password Issues
    Vista password protection on after rebooting · Why do I need password
    · Post your questions, comments, feedbacks and suggestions. Related Topics
    www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapassword.htm

    --
    Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\), Dec 8, 2009

  3. vsoler

    vsoler Guest

    On Dec 8, 3:28 pm, "Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)" <>
    wrote:
    > "no password" is the problem. You must assign password for sharing in Vista
    > and Win 7. This search result may help too.
    > Vista Password Issues
    >       Vista password protection on after rebooting · Why do I need password
    > · Post your questions, comments, feedbacks and suggestions. Related Topics
    >      www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapassword.htm
    >
    > --
    > Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
    > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com
    >
    > "vsoler" <> wrote in message

    > >I have at home 2 PCs:

    > > 1. a Workstation connected via Ethernet to the router with Win 7 and a
    > > local printer
    > > 2. a Laptop connected wireless to the router with Win Vista

    > > I want to see from each PC the files of the other. From the Laptop I
    > > want to be able to print.

    > > I am trying to setup a local network

    > > In the Explorer, each PC is able to see the other (under Network/PC)
    > > However, the problem comes when I am asked for users and passwords. In
    > > each PC I only have 1 user, with administrator rights and no password.

    > > When from the workstation I click on the Laptop icon, I am asked:

    > > Key in your Network password (in order to connect to the Laptop) =>
    > > Here a user and a password are required:  Where could I find them?
    > > since my 2 users do not have passwords, is Win asking for something
    > > different?

    > > I think I have tried all possible combinations, but the system is
    > > still asking for a password. Where could I get it? Or else, where can
    > > I set it up?

    > > Any help would be highly appreciated.

    > > Vicente Soler

    Hello Bob,

    I just set a password in each of the Users. However, now in the
    Explorer, under Network, I see none of our PCs whereas before, I could
    see bothof them.

    Any clues?
    vsoler, Dec 8, 2009
  4. vsoler

    vsoler Guest

    vsoler, Dec 8, 2009
  5. vsoler

    vsoler Guest

    vsoler, Dec 8, 2009
  6. vsoler

    vsoler Guest

    vsoler, Dec 8, 2009
  7. Do a simple test. Can you ping each other by IP? If yes, can you ping each
    other by name?

    --
    Bob Lin, Microsoft-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net