    version of windows. Lucky I can restore for the second backup
    partition...unless anyone has any insite??

    Thanks, Aaron
    Aaron Danker, Jan 8, 2006

  2. Boot off your Windows XP Professional x64 CD
    In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery
    console.
    Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the
    administrator password.
    Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32
    You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press
    enter to overwrite the file.
    Type exit to reboot the computer.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 8, 2006

  3. Aaron Danker

    Randy Guest

    I think the directions for installation are pretty emphatic about *not*
    installing to a partition already having Windows installed, and it would
    seem even worse to do so with a x32 version... I think it's asking for
    trouble to try doing this.

    Randy, Jan 8, 2006
  4. Aaron Danker

    John Barnes Guest

    I second that. Installing 2 versions of windows in the same partition is a
    no-no

    John Barnes, Jan 8, 2006
  5. Aaron Danker wrote:
    > Help, I have downloaded the trial. I checked all drivers with my machine
    > and they seem to be compatible. I have a Gateway GT5032 Dual Core AMD64,1GB
    > RAM. I am right now looking at the screen that says "Windows could not
    > start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows
    > root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file." I
    > have seen this before. I am using a Windows Media Edition already installed
    > and chose a "WIN" directory off the root of the C:\ drive to install the
    > version of windows. Lucky I can restore for the second backup
    > partition...unless anyone has any insite??
    >
    > Thanks, Aaron

    You can't install WinXPx64 into the same hard drive or partition as an
    earlier version of Windows.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, Jan 8, 2006
  6. Aaron Danker

    John Barnes Guest

    Hard drive is fine, not partition.

    John Barnes, Jan 8, 2006
  7. Why can't it be on a different partition? I am wanting to install x64 and
    trying to determine to install another drive. If the boot.ini is just
    pointing to where it is installed, then how is a different drive better than
    a partition. It would seem to me that you should only have x64 only on a
    drive and swap drives each time you want something different, although that
    would be a major pain.

    =?Utf-8?B?YW5keWpheA==?=, Jan 8, 2006
  8. Whether you install x64 to a different partition on the same drive as
    another edition of Windows or on a different drive entirely should not make
    any functional difference when multi-booting.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 8, 2006
  9. Bruce Chambers, Jan 11, 2006
  10. Aaron Danker

    purduenick Guest

    I have a question, has anyone where formatted their machine? I did any
    everything was working fine untill the fact it did not reinstall my
    Nforce Chipset drivers..there for...no connection to my lan. can
    anyone help me on that subject? thanks.
    purduenick, Feb 1, 2006
  11. The drivers should be on the motherboard CD you got with your system, and if
    not, you can download them from the mobo mfg web site.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 1, 2006
  12. I have a similar issue.
    I have recently installed WinXP64 on a raid 0 partition. The install went
    fine, I needed to use F6 to install drivers to detect the partition. On
    boot, if I don't have a bootable CD it won't boot to XP64. I don't even have
    to boot to the CD, I can just let it run, then it displays the OS selection
    screen, I select x64 and off it goes. I have an IDE drive with XP Pro (32)
    installed and if I have that as the primary boot drive in bios I get the OS
    list however if I select x64 it gives me the ntoskrnl.exe corrupt or missing
    message. I have tried bootcfg /rebuild and expand ntoskrnl.ex_ from the
    recovery console to no avail. I have coped the ntdetect and ntdlr files to
    the root directory of the x64 partition and when I set the raid as the
    primary boot device I get non system disk message. The next step is to
    disable the IDE device so there is no other OS to be detected by setup, then
    reinstalling x64. The problem then is what will happen when I enable the IDE
    channel with the other XP install?? I don't want a dual boot, I'd be happy
    with just x64, is there a way to disable the MBR of the 32 bit XP? Do I just
    delete the boot.ini?
    A8N-E, Athlon X2 3800, 2GB PC3200RAM, 2 WD 200GB SATA 2 drives in RAID 0.
    =?Utf-8?B?U3VyZ2Vvbg==?=, Mar 3, 2006
  13. Aaron Danker

    John Barnes Guest

    Why don't you try copying the ntldr and ntdetect.com files from the x64 CD
    to the XP Pro root and then have that drive as the primary boot drive and
    see what you get. That should get you past the ntoskrnl problem.

    John Barnes, Mar 3, 2006