    good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.
    any help is appreciated
    twofour
    twofour, Dec 2, 2005

  2. twofour

    twofour Guest

    "twofour" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
    > grade it to windows 98se
    > (any things an improvement to Win ME ) Hardware drivers will a be problem,
    > how much so I dont know. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? I have a
    > good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.
    > any help is appreciated
    > twofour

    PS dual boot is not my cup of tea or is it?
    twofour, Dec 2, 2005

  3. twofour

    Plato Guest

    twofour wrote:

    > I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
    > grade it to windows 98se

    You'll have to format first, then put win98SE on fresh.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Dec 2, 2005
  4. twofour

    Trax Guest

    "twofour" <> wrote:

    |> I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
    |>grade it to windows 98se
    |>(any things an improvement to Win ME ) Hardware drivers will a be problem,
    |>how much so I dont know. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? I have a
    |>good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.

    Completely delete ME off the drive (format).
    Dual boot? remember WIn98 must be run from c: drive.
    Install the unofficial service pack after installing Win98
    http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

    --
    Take a break...
    http://games.briankass.com/
    Trax, Dec 2, 2005
  5. twofour

    Ron Martell Guest

    "twofour" <> wrote:

    > I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
    >grade it to windows 98se
    >(any things an improvement to Win ME ) Hardware drivers will a be problem,
    >how much so I dont know. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? I have a
    >good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.
    > any help is appreciated
    > twofour

    Windows 98 SE is an older product (released in 1999) than Windows Me
    (released in 2000) and therefore what you want to do is technically a
    downgrade - moving from a newer to an older version of Windows.

    You will have to format the hard drive and do a clean install of
    Windows 98 SE. There is no way to do a "downgrade install".

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    Ron Martell, Dec 2, 2005
  6. twofour

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Barry OGrady, Dec 2, 2005
  7. twofour

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 00:19:42 -0500, "twofour" <> wrote:

    > I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
    >grade it to windows 98se
    >(any things an improvement to Win ME ) Hardware drivers will a be problem,
    >how much so I dont know. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? I have a
    >good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.
    > any help is appreciated

    Just do it and see what happens.
    If it has 128 or megs ram and 4 or more gigs hd why not try XP?

    > twofour

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    Barry OGrady, Dec 2, 2005
  8. Barry OGrady wrote:

    > On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 00:19:42 -0500, "twofour" <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
    >>grade it to windows 98se
    >>(any things an improvement to Win ME ) Hardware drivers will a be problem,
    >>how much so I dont know. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? I have a
    >>good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.
    >> any help is appreciated

    > Just do it and see what happens.
    > If it has 128 or megs ram and 4 or more gigs hd why not try XP?

    Ye gods m'boy, whatever next?
    Vista?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Dec 2, 2005
  9. twofour

    Mikey Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Barry OGrady wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 00:19:42 -0500, "twofour" <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like to up
    > >>grade it to windows 98se
    > >>(any things an improvement to Win ME ) Hardware drivers will a be problem,
    > >>how much so I dont know. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? I have a
    > >>good 98 cd disc with the key numbers no problem there.
    > >> any help is appreciated

    > > Just do it and see what happens.
    > > If it has 128 or megs ram and 4 or more gigs hd why not try XP?
    > >

    > Ye gods m'boy, whatever next?
    > Vista?

    No, no, not Vista or XP, he wants to downgrade. After downgrading to 98, he can
    then go to 95, then Windows 3.1, then DOS 6.
    Mikey, Dec 2, 2005
  10. twofour

    elaich Guest

    "twofour" <> wrote in

    > I have an HP computer with a P3 that came with windows ME . Id like
    > to up
    > grade it to windows 98se
    > (any things an improvement to Win ME )

    98SE is NOT an upgrade to ME. It's slower, stupider and lacks features
    like automatic opening of zip files, and drivers for your hardware, as
    you mentioned.

    Here's how to make ME run lean and mean on any machine:

    1. Go to www.litepc.com and download IEradicator. Use it to completely
    rid the OS of IE 5.5. Now install the latest version of IE.

    2. Go to www.beta10.com, click on "software" and download OppCom. This
    program allows you to strip out all the garbage in ME that causes it to
    have problems. I got rid of everything but WMP 6.4.

    3. Go to http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html and apply the tweaks
    suggested there.

    Now you will have a fast, lean, mean Windows ME that will not crash, and
    which will blow the doors off 98SE.
    elaich, Dec 2, 2005