    a previous windows install for me to upgrade or repair. I have ran
    chkdsk from the rec console and scandisk from safe mode with no luck.
    Any ideas or is this a format job
    Kong_1, Dec 2, 2005

  2. Kong_1

    Martik Guest

    "Kong_1" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I got a puter with xp home on it that is freezing at the loading
    > screen. It is an hp and has no disc. Restore in on the hdd but if you
    > restore it it says it will delet all your programs and this is not
    > really an option. When I run sp2 in safe mode it boots up fine one
    > time but on reboot it locks up again. and there is no repair option
    > from the restore partition. and my orginal xp disc is not recognizing
    > a previous windows install for me to upgrade or repair. I have ran
    > chkdsk from the rec console and scandisk from safe mode with no luck.
    > Any ideas or is this a format job

    Test your memory with memtest86 or ms memtest from a floppy or CD

    Did you have AV, Firewall and Spyware SW installed?
    Martik, Dec 2, 2005

  3. Kong_1

    Trax Guest

    Kong_1 <> wrote:

    |>I got a puter with xp home on it that is freezing at the loading
    |>screen. It is an hp and has no disc. Restore in on the hdd but if you
    |>restore it it says it will delet all your programs and this is not
    |>really an option. When I run sp2 in safe mode it boots up fine one
    |>time but on reboot it locks up again. and there is no repair option
    |>from the restore partition. and my orginal xp disc is not recognizing
    |>a previous windows install for me to upgrade or repair. I have ran
    |>chkdsk from the rec console and scandisk from safe mode with no luck.
    |>Any ideas or is this a format job

    Loosing windows at the loading screen is usually caused by bad
    drivers. Whatever the last thing you installed was, you might need to
    remove it.

    --
    Take a break...
    http://games.briankass.com/
    Trax, Dec 2, 2005
  4. Kong_1 wrote:

    > I got a puter with xp home on it that is freezing at the loading
    > screen. It is an hp and has no disc. Restore in on the hdd but if you
    > restore it it says it will delet all your programs and this is not
    > really an option. When I run sp2 in safe mode it boots up fine one
    > time but on reboot it locks up again. and there is no repair option
    > from the restore partition. and my orginal xp disc is not recognizing
    > a previous windows install for me to upgrade or repair. I have ran
    > chkdsk from the rec console and scandisk from safe mode with no luck.
    > Any ideas or is this a format job

    No disc???
    When you boot in safe mode, have a look at event viewer.
    You may also run sfc /scannow and supply the (no disc???) xp cd somehow.
    Walter Mautner, Dec 2, 2005
  5. Kong_1

    donleo Guest

    sounds like video drivers were updated or messed with!

    donleo, Dec 2, 2005