    Microsoft.

    Any idea what could cause this and would the cure be worse than the
    disease?

    SmokeyJose, Feb 25, 2006

  2. SmokeyJose

    Trax Guest

    "SmokeyJose" <> wrote:

    |>I recently reinstalled winXP home and soon noted that windows explorer
    |>crashes several times each day. And I haven't noticed anything in
    |>particular that sets it off. It's a bit of a bother as I sit and wait
    |>until it reloads itself after the usual popup about notarizing
    |>Microsoft.
    |>
    |>Any idea what could cause this and would the cure be worse than the
    |>disease?

    Can't suggest a fix but going to:
    Right click "My Computer", Properties, Advanced, Startup... settings.

    unselecting auto restart; will keep you from rebooting.

    You also generate a huge file each time you crash, this can be turn'd
    off by:
    Start | Run <type in> drwtsn32 <enter>

    You can also turn off the popup (Visual notification)
    While there look in the applications area could give a clue to your
    problems.

    --
    http://cognitivelabs.com/games_findingbeltazar.htm

    Trax, Feb 25, 2006

  3. SmokeyJose

    old jon Guest

    "SmokeyJose" <> wrote in message
    >I recently reinstalled winXP home and soon noted that windows explorer
    > crashes several times each day. And I haven't noticed anything in
    > particular that sets it off. It's a bit of a bother as I sit and wait
    > until it reloads itself after the usual popup about notifieing
    > Microsoft.
    >
    > Any idea what could cause this and would the cure be worse than the
    > disease?

    Time to have a look in your Event Viewer to see if you have
    errors that you can investigate.

    --
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Feb 25, 2006
  4. SmokeyJose wrote:

    > I recently reinstalled winXP home

    Why?

    [I'm running Windows 2000 Pro for seven years now on my old PIII, and it
    has never been "reinstalled."]

    > and soon noted that windows explorer crashes several times each day.

    Windows Explorer? Or Internet Explorer? Big difference.

    > And I haven't noticed anything in particular that sets it off. It's a
    > bit of a bother as I sit and wait until it reloads itself after the
    > usual popup about notifieing Microsoft.
    >
    > Any idea what could cause this and would the cure be worse than the
    > disease?

    When was the last time you ran a deep scan with anti-virus, anti-adware,
    anti-trojan programs?

    Do you have a firewall?

    --
    -bts