Win equivalents of Mac SW?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by IRO, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. IRO

    IRO Guest

    Are there any trans-platform gurus out there savvy enough to tell me the
    names and prices of the Windows (XP) equivalents of the following Mac
    OSX software:
    iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iChat, iCal, iSync and AddressBook. I
    guess Mail and Safari are equivalents of Outlook and Explorer, which
    presumably are bundled with XP.

    --
    ~IRO
    IRO, Jan 15, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. IRO

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    IRO <> wrote:

    > Are there any trans-platform gurus out there savvy enough to tell me the
    > names and prices of the Windows (XP) equivalents of the following Mac
    > OSX software:
    > iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iChat, iCal, iSync and AddressBook. I
    > guess Mail and Safari are equivalents of Outlook and Explorer, which
    > presumably are bundled with XP.


    > iTunes


    Umm...iTunes? (There's a PC version)

    > I guess Mail and Safari are equivalents of Outlook and Explorer, which
    > presumably are bundled with XP.


    IE exists on the Mac too

    Phil

    --
    Bluengrey.com - Website and Multimedia development
    http://www.bluengrey.com

    MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
    All Mac - All Kiwi - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
    Philip Roy, Jan 15, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. IRO wrote:
    > iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iChat, iCal, iSync and AddressBook. I
    > guess Mail and Safari are equivalents of Outlook and Explorer, which
    > presumably are bundled with XP.
    >


    GIMP, Winamp/Windows Media Player,Winamp/Windows Media
    Player,Winamp/Windows Media Player, MSN/ICQ/Trillian, Isync? for address
    book, windows address book.

    Outlook isnt, but Outlook Express is. I recommend Mozilla.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 15, 2004
    #3
  4. IRO

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:59:03 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > IRO wrote:
    >> iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iChat, iCal, iSync and AddressBook. I
    >> guess Mail and Safari are equivalents of Outlook and Explorer, which
    >> presumably are bundled with XP.
    >>
    >>

    > GIMP, Winamp/Windows Media Player,Winamp/Windows Media
    > Player,Winamp/Windows Media Player, MSN/ICQ/Trillian, Isync? for address
    > book, windows address book.
    >
    > Outlook isnt, but Outlook Express is. I recommend Mozilla.


    Outlook's the Windows equivalent of MS Entourage - although strictly
    speaking it's the other way around :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jan 15, 2004
    #4
  5. IRO

    Peter S Guest

    "IRO" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Are there any trans-platform gurus out there savvy enough to tell me the
    > names and prices of the Windows (XP) equivalents of the following Mac
    > OSX software:
    > iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iChat, iCal, iSync and AddressBook. I
    > guess Mail and Safari are equivalents of Outlook and Explorer, which
    > presumably are bundled with XP.
    >
    > --
    > ~IRO


    All that software is produced by Apple, so presumably you are after the
    Microsoft equivalents.

    iPhoto = ?? Nothing. Microsoft don't play in this market. There are PC
    versions of the Mac third party products.
    iTunes = Windows Media Player, although obviously iTunes as well.
    iMovie = Windows Movie Maker.
    iDVD = ?? I would say Windows Movie Maker, but I don't have a DVD burner to
    test and I don't think Windows Movie Maker natively supports DVD.
    iChat = Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger (the former is business oriented
    and comes with XP, the latter is consumer oriented)
    iSync = Microsoft ActiveSync (although this only supports Windows Devices,
    not devices such as Palm).
    AddressBook = Outlook Express sub component.
    Mail = Outlook Express.
    Safari = Internet Explorer.

    All of the above are installed with XP, or are available as free downloads
    from Microsoft.
    Peter S, Jan 15, 2004
    #5
  6. IRO

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    "AD." <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:59:03 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    > > IRO wrote:
    > >> iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iChat, iCal, iSync and AddressBook. I
    > >> guess Mail and Safari are equivalents of Outlook and Explorer, which
    > >> presumably are bundled with XP.
    > >>
    > >>

    > > GIMP, Winamp/Windows Media Player,Winamp/Windows Media
    > > Player,Winamp/Windows Media Player, MSN/ICQ/Trillian, Isync? for address
    > > book, windows address book.
    > >
    > > Outlook isnt, but Outlook Express is. I recommend Mozilla.

    >
    > Outlook's the Windows equivalent of MS Entourage - although strictly
    > speaking it's the other way around :)
    >


    That's not true either. Entourage doesn't all the same functionality as
    Outlook does when interacting with an Exchnage server...that's why I'm
    stuck running Outlook 2001 under classic while using Panther.

    Phil

    --
    Bluengrey.com - Website and Multimedia development
    http://www.bluengrey.com

    MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
    All Mac - All Kiwi - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
    Philip Roy, Jan 15, 2004
    #6
  7. Hi there,

    IRO wrote:
    > Are there any trans-platform gurus out there savvy enough to tell me the
    > names and prices of the Windows (XP) equivalents of the following Mac
    > OSX software:
    > iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iChat, iCal, iSync and AddressBook. I
    > guess Mail and Safari are equivalents of Outlook and Explorer, which
    > presumably are bundled with XP.


    <troll>
    Mail and Safari are not even close to being equivalent to Outlook
    and Explorer, because those mac softwares do not include the security
    flaws of the MS pairing...
    </troll>

    :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Remove spamblocker to send replies direct to my email...
    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 15, 2004
    #7
  8. IRO

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:55:10 +1300, Philip Roy wrote:

    > That's not true either. Entourage doesn't all the same functionality as
    > Outlook does when interacting with an Exchnage server...that's why I'm
    > stuck running Outlook 2001 under classic while using Panther.


    I thought MS had fixed that, or has that version not come out yet?

    Anyway Outlook 2001 (Mac) didn't have FULL functionality either compared
    to 2000 (Windows), although the missing features weren't exactly
    showstoppers.

    I don't think the OP sounded like they had an Exchange Server anyway :)

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jan 15, 2004
    #8
  9. IRO

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    "AD." <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 21:55:10 +1300, Philip Roy wrote:
    >
    > > That's not true either. Entourage doesn't all the same functionality as
    > > Outlook does when interacting with an Exchnage server...that's why I'm
    > > stuck running Outlook 2001 under classic while using Panther.

    >
    > I thought MS had fixed that, or has that version not come out yet?
    >
    > Anyway Outlook 2001 (Mac) didn't have FULL functionality either compared
    > to 2000 (Windows), although the missing features weren't exactly
    > showstoppers.
    >
    > I don't think the OP sounded like they had an Exchange Server anyway :)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Anton


    No, you're right, 2001 is/was still not the same. M$ is great at
    suggesting Entourage works well with Exchange, but read between their
    carefully worded statements and no, it's not as good. I'm stuck with
    three years of archived emails in PST files (for example) that entourage
    won't handle or import...and that's just for starters.

    Phil

    --
    Bluengrey.com - Website and Multimedia development
    http://www.bluengrey.com

    MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
    All Mac - All Kiwi - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
    Philip Roy, Jan 15, 2004
    #9
  10. Philip Roy wrote:
    > No, you're right, 2001 is/was still not the same. M$ is great at
    > suggesting Entourage works well with Exchange, but read between their
    > carefully worded statements and no, it's not as good. I'm stuck with
    > three years of archived emails in PST files (for example) that entourage
    > won't handle or import...and that's just for starters.


    haha, maybe they should pay MS for the rights to include a
    conversion/import tool.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 15, 2004
    #10
  11. IRO

    Peter KERR Guest

    In article <>,
    IRO <> wrote:

    > Are there any trans-platform gurus out there savvy enough to tell me the
    > names and prices of the Windows (XP) equivalents of the following Mac
    > OSX software:
    > iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iChat, iCal, iSync and AddressBook. I
    > guess Mail and Safari are equivalents of Outlook and Explorer, which
    > presumably are bundled with XP.



    Check out what Steve Jobs recommends:
    his spiel at MacWorld SF04 includes a comparison with the Windows
    "equivalents", actually he claimed you need US$300 of 3rd party stuff to
    come anywhere near the iLife package. Can be seen at 1hr 33min into:

    http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/jan/macworld/live_2004/1138/mwsf_ref_5
    6.mov

    For those who choose not to view QuickTimeStreaming a quicktake is
    iTunes - Music Match + **
    iPhoto - Adobe Photoshop Album
    iMovie & iDVD - Pinnacle Studio 8
    garageBand - Cakewalk Home Studio

    ** there is a windows version of iTunes for downloading & playing stuff
    from the Music Store, but does it do all the other import/export
    functions of the Mac version? The Mac version unlocks some of the
    features of QuickTimePro for mpeg/wav/aif translation/compression

    then we have iCal + AddressBook <-> Outlook's equiv features
    feature sets are + & - both sides of that equation
    & great fun can be had by all trying to import/export
    between them...
    Peter KERR, Jan 16, 2004
    #11
  12. IRO

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <H2FNb.13137$>,
    says...
    > Philip Roy wrote:
    > > No, you're right, 2001 is/was still not the same. M$ is great at
    > > suggesting Entourage works well with Exchange, but read between their
    > > carefully worded statements and no, it's not as good. I'm stuck with
    > > three years of archived emails in PST files (for example) that entourage
    > > won't handle or import...and that's just for starters.

    >
    > haha, maybe they should pay MS for the rights to include a
    > conversion/import tool.


    All they need to do is write a COM based converter, using the documented
    VBA interfaces built into outlook. This is probably how Mozilla can
    import messages from Outlook.

    --
    Full featured open source Win32 newsreader - Gravity 2.70
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpgravity/
    Mainlander, Jan 16, 2004
    #12
  13. Mainlander wrote:
    >>haha, maybe they should pay MS for the rights to include a
    >>conversion/import tool.


    > All they need to do is write a COM based converter, using the documented
    > VBA interfaces built into outlook. This is probably how Mozilla can
    > import messages from Outlook.


    heh, last time I checked it couldn't do it, and when I looked it up
    online they said that it was too time intensive to figure it out(or
    words to that effect)... although, that was a while ago.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 16, 2004
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Alan D.

    Any digital equivalents of Olympus Stylus Epic?

    Alan D., Jan 3, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    859
    Dave Martindale
    Jan 3, 2004
  2. Cynicor

    Telescope-to-lens equivalents?

    Cynicor, Nov 30, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    512
    Greg Campbell
    Dec 1, 2004
  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWFrc2lt?=

    SendInput() inconsistency between 32/64 bit function equivalents

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFrc2lt?=, Aug 3, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    3,818
    WhatIThink
    Feb 12, 2010
  4. Matt Davis

    Re: Mac--->Win; Win--->Mac?

    Matt Davis, Jun 13, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    448
    Adrian
    Jun 14, 2007
  5. Radium
    Replies:
    476
    Views:
    5,580
    David J Taylor
    Aug 29, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page