    in this particular pc can be only started in win/dos box demands the
    drive be locked first(is that possible?).Any other suggestions,please?!
    , Apr 7, 2007

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >Recovermyfiles had installation problems and Norton DOS unerase which
    >in this particular pc can be only started in win/dos box demands the
    >drive be locked first(is that possible?).Any other suggestions,please?!

    Boot up into dos to use Unerase, boot disk,pen drive, or CD.

    At least give it a try Unerase is a great recovery tool.

    --
    Virtual drum set
    http://www.buckle.com/static/bscene/games/drums/drums.html

  3. wrote:

    > Few files were deleted from winnt/ntfs disk in windows/total commander
    > but there's a good chance they were not overwritten.
    > So,downloaded&tryed the following undelete softwares: r-studio,easy
    > recovery,restorer2000, get data back,active undelete,directory snoop
    > and filerecovery pro with no result!!!!
    > Recovermyfiles had installation problems and Norton DOS unerase which
    > in this particular pc can be only started in win/dos box demands the
    > drive be locked first(is that possible?).Any other suggestions,please?!

    There is a good chance your deleted files have been already overwritten by
    the undelete softwares you tried to install. Your best bet would have been
    to install the software (pc inspector file recovery, free, or others) on a
    2nd computer and attach the harddrive with your deleted files temporarily
    there.
    Another alternative would be a floppy or cd bootable recovery program.
    Walter Mautner, Apr 7, 2007
  4. Desk Rabbit Guest

    wrote:
    > Few files were deleted from winnt/ntfs disk in windows/total commander
    > but there's a good chance they were not overwritten.
    > So,downloaded&tryed the following undelete softwares: r-studio,easy
    > recovery,restorer2000, get data back,active undelete,directory snoop
    > and filerecovery pro with no result!!!!
    > Recovermyfiles had installation problems and Norton DOS unerase which
    > in this particular pc can be only started in win/dos box demands the
    > drive be locked first(is that possible?).Any other suggestions,please?!

    Yeah. First thing, golden rule; when trying to recover deleted data,
    make an image of the disk you are trying to recover. What you should not
    do is try installing dozens of different recovery programs first.
    Desk Rabbit, Apr 7, 2007
  5. Guest

    The mentioned softwares I tested on another machine where I
    deliberately deleted few files.
    The original machine however has installed R-studio and Easy Recovery
    prior to deletion.
    Boot sequence on it cannot be changed so I was hoping for either a
    small prog to install or run off a floppy(such as winundelete-too bad
    it won't work in NT), or one that can work from another pc through the
    network!?
    (which Norton Unerase for win is perhaps capable of that?)

  6. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Few files were deleted from winnt/ntfs disk in windows/total commander
    > but there's a good chance they were not overwritten.
    > So,downloaded&tryed the following undelete softwares: r-studio,easy
    > recovery,restorer2000, get data back,active undelete,directory snoop
    > and filerecovery pro with no result!!!!
    > Recovermyfiles had installation problems and Norton DOS unerase which
    > in this particular pc can be only started in win/dos box demands the
    > drive be locked first(is that possible?).Any other suggestions,please?!

    Install a data recovery application on another machine...
    then slave the drive with the lost data to it.

    Do not attempt to install anything on the drive with the lost data.
    stop using it at once!@!!!
    philo, Apr 7, 2007
  7. Chuck Guest

    Having more than one drive is rather criticial as well. I keep a copy of
    REST 2514 on a seperate drive. It's small enough to fit on a floppy and of
    course a flash drive and it's self contained and free. It's not too bad at
    it's job either:
    http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlrestoration.html

    --
    Chuck

    Chuck, Apr 7, 2007
  8. Guest

    Thanks for the input however the mentioned software did not find the
    files either
    Does Total Commander actually write zeros to deleted files space?
    Chuck wrote:
    > Having more than one drive is rather criticial as well. I keep a copy of
    > REST 2514 on a seperate drive. It's small enough to fit on a floppy and of
    > course a flash drive and it's self contained and free. It's not too bad at
    > it's job either:
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlrestoration.html
    >
    > --
    > Chuck
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    > > The mentioned softwares I tested on another machine where I
    > > deliberately deleted few files.
    > > The original machine however has installed R-studio and Easy Recovery
    > > prior to deletion.
    > > Boot sequence on it cannot be changed so I was hoping for either a
    > > small prog to install or run off a floppy(such as winundelete-too bad
    > > it won't work in NT), or one that can work from another pc through the
    > > network!?
    > > (which Norton Unerase for win is perhaps capable of that?)
    > > Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > suggestions,please?!
    > > > >

    > > > Yeah. First thing, golden rule; when trying to recover deleted data,
    > > > make an image of the disk you are trying to recover. What you should not
    > > > do is try installing dozens of different recovery programs first.

    , Apr 11, 2007
  9. wrote:

    > Thanks for the input however the mentioned software did not find the
    > files either
    > Does Total Commander actually write zeros to deleted files space?

    TC uses the same filesystem api calls that explorer will do.
    Well, I already mentioned ... your attempts to install various programs (and
    even booting the machine to the OS) has most probably already overwritten
    your files.
    To have chances of recovery, it is vital to access the disk/partition
    read-only, either by transferring it to another computer with recovery
    software installed there, or by running a livecd or some recovery program
    on a bootable floppy/usb drive.

    Walter Mautner, Apr 12, 2007