    --
    MESSAGE ENDS.
    John Porcella

    John Porcella, Jul 26, 2006

  2. John Porcella

    Margolotta Guest

    On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:21:03 +0100, John Porcella wrote
    (in article <>):

    > I have bought a WinXP Home Edition upgrade disk. However, it will not
    > upgrade my Win 98SE operating system. MS Support tells me that it is
    > because my Win98SE installation has become corrupted, which I can well
    > believe given the slight problems/errors the PC keeps giving me. Apparently
    > I need to re-install Win98SE before upgrading.
    >
    > I have the original Win 98SE disk, but I do not know what has happened to
    > the box it came in which had the product code to enter. Is the code
    > somewhere in the system? All software is original and not pirated or
    > copied.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

    Er, no you don't. All you need to do is boot from the upgrade disc, and then
    pop the 98 CD in when prompted. No reinstall necessary. You don't need the
    installation code, either. Just the disc.

    Margolotta, Jul 26, 2006

  3. John Porcella

    Ben Myers Guest

    If Windows 98 is still working, start regedit, expand and highlight the
    following key and look in the right window for "ProductKey".

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jul 26, 2006
  4. John Porcella

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-26, John Porcella <> wrote:
    > I have bought a WinXP Home Edition upgrade disk. However, it will not
    > upgrade my Win 98SE operating system. MS Support tells me that it is
    > because my Win98SE installation has become corrupted, which I can well
    > believe given the slight problems/errors the PC keeps giving me. Apparently
    > I need to re-install Win98SE before upgrading.
    >
    > I have the original Win 98SE disk, but I do not know what has happened to
    > the box it came in which had the product code to enter. Is the code
    > somewhere in the system? All software is original and not pirated or
    > copied.

    My key is directly on the manual, not the box. The registry key idea in
    Ben's message is the best approach if you don't have the manual. You can
    get in touch with MS and explain the situation. Then, take little trip
    on a slow boat to China and MS will finally have responded by the time
    you return. :)

    --
    "One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

    Jimchip, Jul 26, 2006
  5. John Porcella

    Jono Guest

    John Porcella wrote:
    || I have the original Win 98SE disk, but I do not know what has
    || happened to the box it came in which had the product code to enter.
    || Is the code somewhere in the system?

    If you've not already succeded, have a look here:

    Jono, Jul 26, 2006
  6. "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-07-26, John Porcella <> wrote:
    >> I have bought a WinXP Home Edition upgrade disk. However, it will not
    >> upgrade my Win 98SE operating system. MS Support tells me that it is
    >> because my Win98SE installation has become corrupted, which I can well
    >> believe given the slight problems/errors the PC keeps giving me.
    >> Apparently
    >> I need to re-install Win98SE before upgrading.
    >>
    >> I have the original Win 98SE disk, but I do not know what has happened to
    >> the box it came in which had the product code to enter. Is the code
    >> somewhere in the system? All software is original and not pirated or
    >> copied.

    > My key is directly on the manual, not the box. The registry key idea in
    > Ben's message is the best approach if you don't have the manual. You can
    > get in touch with MS and explain the situation. Then, take little trip
    > on a slow boat to China and MS will finally have responded by the time
    > you return. :)

    Ahmm.... there is one problem with that last statement. I don't know if you
    have heard but... Windows 98SE is no longer supported by Microsoft and you
    may have a problem getting answers from them. You can try, but it will be a
    "canoe trip with no oars" to China. LOL

    You can find Microsoft's Windows Life-Cycle Policy here. It was recently
    updated and shortened on July 7, 2006.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

    Do an clean install of Windows XP from the upgrade CD.
    It will tell you that no previous version has been found and ask you to
    locate it. That is where you insert the Win 98 CD and point the XP
    installer there. After the installer confirms the CD is real by reading
    something from the disk the installation should continue and ask you to
    re-insert the Windows XP upgrade CD. If you don't have a Win 98 disk that
    is working. You can try and borrow one from a friend. As long as it sees a
    previous OS it should install. No product code required, except for the
    WinXP one of course.

    eBay is a good place to look for old OS install disks, and P2P file sharing
    like Kazza are too (if you can burn an iso image to a cd.) However, be
    aware that activity of this type is considered illegal. Plus the sellers on
    eBay who sell this stuff are not to be trusted, and could make you spend
    more money than the disk is actually worth. (the disk is probably only worth
    about $1 - $2.00 US) In either case these acts are punishable by up to 5
    years in prison and a $250,000.00 US fine.

    Dang these catch 22's. You can't get help from MS, but they won't let you
    use someone else's OS disk to upgrade from. Even when you had the original
    OS disk in the first place.

    Good luck anyway!

    Happy Computing! :)

    Randall Smith, Jul 27, 2006
  7. John Porcella

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Randall Smith wrote:
    > "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-07-26, John Porcella <> wrote:
    >>> I have bought a WinXP Home Edition upgrade disk. However, it will
    >>> not upgrade my Win 98SE operating system. MS Support tells me that
    >>> it is because my Win98SE installation has become corrupted, which I
    >>> can well believe given the slight problems/errors the PC keeps
    >>> giving me. Apparently
    >>> I need to re-install Win98SE before upgrading.
    >>>
    >>> I have the original Win 98SE disk, but I do not know what has
    >>> happened to the box it came in which had the product code to enter.
    >>> Is the code somewhere in the system? All software is original and
    >>> not pirated or copied.

    >> My key is directly on the manual, not the box. The registry key idea
    >> in Ben's message is the best approach if you don't have the manual.
    >> You can get in touch with MS and explain the situation. Then, take
    >> little trip on a slow boat to China and MS will finally have
    >> responded by the time you return. :)

    > Ahmm.... there is one problem with that last statement. I don't know
    > if you have heard but... Windows 98SE is no longer supported by
    > Microsoft and you may have a problem getting answers from them. You
    > can try, but it will be a "canoe trip with no oars" to China. LOL
    >
    > You can find Microsoft's Windows Life-Cycle Policy here. It was
    > recently updated and shortened on July 7, 2006.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx
    >
    > Do an clean install of Windows XP from the upgrade CD.
    > It will tell you that no previous version has been found and ask you
    > to locate it. That is where you insert the Win 98 CD and point the XP
    > installer there. After the installer confirms the CD is real by
    > reading something from the disk the installation should continue and
    > ask you to re-insert the Windows XP upgrade CD. If you don't have a
    > Win 98 disk that is working. You can try and borrow one from a
    > friend. As long as it sees a previous OS it should install. No
    > product code required, except for the WinXP one of course.
    >
    > eBay is a good place to look for old OS install disks, and P2P file
    > sharing like Kazza are too (if you can burn an iso image to a cd.)
    > However, be aware that activity of this type is considered illegal.
    > Plus the sellers on eBay who sell this stuff are not to be trusted,
    > and could make you spend more money than the disk is actually worth.
    > (the disk is probably only worth about $1 - $2.00 US) In either case
    > these acts are punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a
    > $250,000.00 US fine.
    > Dang these catch 22's. You can't get help from MS, but they won't
    > let you use someone else's OS disk to upgrade from. Even when you
    > had the original OS disk in the first place.
    >
    > Good luck anyway!
    >
    > Happy Computing! :)

    It's a moot point. Win98SE does NOT need to be installed again in order for
    the OP to install his XP Upgrade OS. As much as it pains me to say this,
    read the post from Margoletta. She actually got one right.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 27, 2006
  8. John Porcella

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-27, Randall Smith <> wrote:

    > "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-07-26, John Porcella <> wrote:
    >>> I have bought a WinXP Home Edition upgrade disk. However, it will not
    >>> upgrade my Win 98SE operating system. MS Support tells me that it is

    [snip]

    >> get in touch with MS and explain the situation. Then, take little trip
    >> on a slow boat to China and MS will finally have responded by the time
    >> you return. :)

    > Ahmm.... there is one problem with that last statement. I don't know if you
    > have heard but... Windows 98SE is no longer supported by Microsoft and you
    > may have a problem getting answers from them. You can try, but it will be a
    > "canoe trip with no oars" to China. LOL

    I forgotti.

    Maybe you know...I have MS Office for Windows 95 Standard
    on floppy disks. I have up to Disk 19 plus I have PowerPoint viewer
    (16-bit) and translator Disk. They're all the Official MS disks. Is that
    the whole set? I haven't been able to find out?

    [snip]
    Maybe I will check ebay and see if anyone is selling them and says how
    many there are.

    --
    "One Architecture, One OS" also translates as "One Egg, One Basket".

    Jimchip, Jul 27, 2006
  9. John Porcella

    Frosty Guest

    On or about Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:51:07 -0000, an entity identified as
    Jimchip <> proudly proclaimed:

    >On 2006-07-26, John Porcella <> wrote:
    >> I have bought a WinXP Home Edition upgrade disk. However, it will not
    >> upgrade my Win 98SE operating system. MS Support tells me that it is
    >> because my Win98SE installation has become corrupted, which I can well
    >> believe given the slight problems/errors the PC keeps giving me. Apparently
    >> I need to re-install Win98SE before upgrading.
    >>
    >> I have the original Win 98SE disk, but I do not know what has happened to
    >> the box it came in which had the product code to enter. Is the code
    >> somewhere in the system? All software is original and not pirated or
    >> copied.

    >My key is directly on the manual, not the box. The registry key idea in
    >Ben's message is the best approach if you don't have the manual. You can
    >get in touch with MS and explain the situation. Then, take little trip
    >on a slow boat to China and MS will finally have responded by the time
    >you return. :)

    While it's not pertinent to the OP, you can simply call them & they'll
    give you a key.

    Frosty, Jul 27, 2006
  10. John Porcella

    Plato Guest

    John Porcella wrote:

    > I have bought a WinXP Home Edition upgrade disk. However, it will not
    > upgrade my Win 98SE operating system. MS Support tells me that it is
    > because my Win98SE installation has become corrupted, which I can well
    > believe given the slight problems/errors the PC keeps giving me. Apparently
    > I need to re-install Win98SE before upgrading.
    >
    > I have the original Win 98SE disk, but I do not know what has happened to
    > the box it came in which had the product code to enter. Is the code
    > somewhere in the system? All software is original and not pirated or
    > copied.

    In theory, when using an XP upgrade cd, all you do is put in your
    win98cd when it asks for proof of previous ownership or whatever lingo
    and it checks the win98 cd and you're off.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 27, 2006
  11. John Porcella

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-27, Frosty <> wrote:
    > On or about Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:51:07 -0000, an entity identified as
    > Jimchip <> proudly proclaimed:
    >
    >>On 2006-07-26, John Porcella <> wrote:
    >>> I have bought a WinXP Home Edition upgrade disk. However, it will not
    >>> upgrade my Win 98SE operating system. MS Support tells me that it is
    >>> because my Win98SE installation has become corrupted, which I can well
    >>> believe given the slight problems/errors the PC keeps giving me. Apparently
    >>> I need to re-install Win98SE before upgrading.
    >>>
    >>> I have the original Win 98SE disk, but I do not know what has happened to
    >>> the box it came in which had the product code to enter. Is the code
    >>> somewhere in the system? All software is original and not pirated or
    >>> copied.

    >>My key is directly on the manual, not the box. The registry key idea in
    >>Ben's message is the best approach if you don't have the manual. You can
    >>get in touch with MS and explain the situation. Then, take little trip
    >>on a slow boat to China and MS will finally have responded by the time
    >>you return. :)

    > While it's not pertinent to the OP, you can simply call them & they'll
    > give you a key.

    I have called MS before. I received a French language version of an
    ugrade disk which was not what I ordered. They put me on hold so I put
    the phone down and took the slow boat to China. When I got back they
    finally took me off hold after about an hour.

    I still like Ben's idea of looking to see if the key is in the registry.

    --
    "If you took everyone who's ever been to a Dead show, and lined them up,
    they'd stretch halfway to the moon and back...

    Jimchip, Jul 27, 2006
  12. --
    Happy Computing! :)
    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    8<---snip
    | It's a moot point. Win98SE does NOT need to be installed again in order
    for
    | the OP to install his XP Upgrade OS. As much as it pains me to say this,
    | read the post from Margoletta. She actually got one right.
    |
    | --
    | Life: Nature's way of keeping meat fresh. ~Doctor Who~

    Sorry, my bad. I was under the impression that the CD was corrupted or
    scratched. I know 98SE doesn't need to be installed again to install his XP
    Upgrade.

    I may have also been wrong in suggesting a clean install. He wants to
    UPGRADE his OS from 98SE to XP. He needs to choose the Upgrade option.
    "Doh". [slaps head]

    One more thing of concern that just popped in my little air filled head. :)

    IF he was using FAT32 with 98SE and it was on his computer all this time,
    he will have to convert to NTFS. No? (can't remember if you can have NTFS
    in 98SE or not, I know you can choose with win2k)

    I can't remember offhand if the conversion destroys the data or not. Just
    to be safe, I would back-up all his important stuff with a back-up program
    to a CD or DVD. It could avert losing anything he wanted to keep. But, he
    probably already did that. ; )

    Randall Smith, Jul 27, 2006
  13. John Porcella

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Randall Smith wrote:

    > 8<---snip
    >> It's a moot point. Win98SE does NOT need to be installed again in
    >> order for the OP to install his XP Upgrade OS. As much as it pains
    >> me to say this, read the post from Margoletta. She actually got one
    >> right.
    >>

    > Sorry, my bad. I was under the impression that the CD was corrupted
    > or scratched. I know 98SE doesn't need to be installed again to
    > install his XP Upgrade.
    >
    > I may have also been wrong in suggesting a clean install. He wants to
    > UPGRADE his OS from 98SE to XP. He needs to choose the Upgrade
    > option. "Doh". [slaps head]

    I've not played with a "Upgrade" CD from MS in so long, I don't recall if
    the user can boot from a floppy and run the setup from the CD like they can
    with an OEM disc. (One of the other posters mentioned that the Upgrade disc
    won't boot.) But if so, then a clean install is probably better, since the
    OP mentioned there are problems with the current OS.

    > One more thing of concern that just popped in my little air filled
    > head. :)
    >
    > IF he was using FAT32 with 98SE and it was on his computer all this
    > time, he will have to convert to NTFS. No? (can't remember if you
    > can have NTFS in 98SE or not, I know you can choose with win2k)

    No - NTFS is not available to W9x users. It can't read it.

    > I can't remember offhand if the conversion destroys the data or not.
    > Just to be safe, I would back-up all his important stuff with a
    > back-up program to a CD or DVD. It could avert losing anything he
    > wanted to keep. But, he probably already did that. ; )

    While the FAT32 to NTFS conversion is not /supposed/ to damage files, you're
    quite correct in reminding the OP to backup anything important! (After all,
    MS wrote it...)

    Toolman Tim, Jul 27, 2006
  14. "Margolotta" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:21:03 +0100, John Porcella wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    > > I have bought a WinXP Home Edition upgrade disk. However, it will not
    > > upgrade my Win 98SE operating system. MS Support tells me that it is
    > > because my Win98SE installation has become corrupted, which I can well
    > > believe given the slight problems/errors the PC keeps giving me.

    Apparently
    > > I need to re-install Win98SE before upgrading.
    > >
    > > I have the original Win 98SE disk, but I do not know what has happened

    > > the box it came in which had the product code to enter. Is the code
    > > somewhere in the system? All software is original and not pirated or
    > > copied.
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance.
    > >

    > Er, no you don't. All you need to do is boot from the upgrade disc, and

    then
    > pop the 98 CD in when prompted. No reinstall necessary. You don't need the
    > installation code, either. Just the disc.

    I do not know enough to contradict you with full confidence, but the trouble
    was (and is) that the upgrade disc only gets through a small part of
    installation and then gets stuck. MS Support made me uninstall Norton
    Anti-Virus which made the installation go a bit further but still around
    ninety minutes from completion.

    MS Support told me that Win98SE needs to be sorted out...presumably it is a
    bad idea to build on bad foundations!

    --
    MESSAGE ENDS.
    John Porcella

    John Porcella, Jul 27, 2006

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    If Windows 98 is still working, start regedit, expand and highlight the
    following key and look in the right window for "ProductKey".

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

    Ben

    Many thanks, Ben.

    A question...what is the difference between the Product ID and the Product
    Key, and which is to be entered on re-installation?

    --
    MESSAGE ENDS.
    John Porcella

    John Porcella, Jul 27, 2006
  16. "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-07-26, John Porcella <> wrote:
    > > I have bought a WinXP Home Edition upgrade disk. However, it will not
    > > upgrade my Win 98SE operating system. MS Support tells me that it is
    > > because my Win98SE installation has become corrupted, which I can well
    > > believe given the slight problems/errors the PC keeps giving me.

    Apparently
    > > I need to re-install Win98SE before upgrading.
    > >
    > > I have the original Win 98SE disk, but I do not know what has happened

    > > the box it came in which had the product code to enter. Is the code
    > > somewhere in the system? All software is original and not pirated or
    > > copied.

    > My key is directly on the manual, not the box.

    On reflection, you must be right. However, my things are in such a mess
    (following redecoration) that I no longer know where things are!

    --
    MESSAGE ENDS.
    John Porcella

    John Porcella, Jul 27, 2006
  17. "Randall Smith" <> wrote in message

    > "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > > On 2006-07-26, John Porcella <> wrote:
    > >> I have bought a WinXP Home Edition upgrade disk. However, it will not
    > >> upgrade my Win 98SE operating system. MS Support tells me that it is
    > >> because my Win98SE installation has become corrupted, which I can well
    > >> believe given the slight problems/errors the PC keeps giving me.
    > >> Apparently
    > >> I need to re-install Win98SE before upgrading.
    > >>
    > >> I have the original Win 98SE disk, but I do not know what has happened

    > >> the box it came in which had the product code to enter. Is the code
    > >> somewhere in the system? All software is original and not pirated or
    > >> copied.

    > > My key is directly on the manual, not the box. The registry key idea in
    > > Ben's message is the best approach if you don't have the manual. You can
    > > get in touch with MS and explain the situation. Then, take little trip
    > > on a slow boat to China and MS will finally have responded by the time
    > > you return. :)

    > Ahmm.... there is one problem with that last statement. I don't know if

    you
    > have heard but... Windows 98SE is no longer supported by Microsoft and you
    > may have a problem getting answers from them. You can try, but it will be

    > "canoe trip with no oars" to China. LOL
    >
    > You can find Microsoft's Windows Life-Cycle Policy here. It was recently
    > updated and shortened on July 7, 2006.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx
    >
    > Do an clean install of Windows XP from the upgrade CD.

    It will not get past the first part of the installation, due to Win98SE
    being corrupted.

    --
    MESSAGE ENDS.
    John Porcella

    John Porcella, Jul 27, 2006
  18. "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > John Porcella wrote:
    > >
    > > I have bought a WinXP Home Edition upgrade disk. However, it will not
    > > upgrade my Win 98SE operating system. MS Support tells me that it is
    > > because my Win98SE installation has become corrupted, which I can well
    > > believe given the slight problems/errors the PC keeps giving me.

    Apparently
    > > I need to re-install Win98SE before upgrading.
    > >
    > > I have the original Win 98SE disk, but I do not know what has happened

    > > the box it came in which had the product code to enter. Is the code
    > > somewhere in the system? All software is original and not pirated or
    > > copied.

    > In theory, when using an XP upgrade cd, all you do is put in your
    > win98cd when it asks for proof of previous ownership or whatever lingo
    > and it checks the win98 cd and you're off.

    You could very well be correct, but the XP upgrade CD never gets to such a
    point.

    --
    MESSAGE ENDS.
    John Porcella

    John Porcella, Jul 27, 2006
  19. John Porcella

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-07-27, John Porcella <> wrote:

    > "Jimchip" <> wrote in message

    [snip]

    >> My key is directly on the manual, not the box.

    > On reflection, you must be right. However, my things are in such a mess
    > (following redecoration) that I no longer know where things are!

    It only took me ~3 months to find mine...Box after box from Jan.-Mar.

    One day, you'll stumble across it and think or say "Oh, there it is".:)

    You might want to call MS in the meantime...you've got a pretty good
    excuse and they can give you a serial # even though they're not
    suporting the OS anymore. Whether they will or not is a question.
    Good luck.

    Jimchip, Jul 27, 2006
  20. "Jimchip" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-07-27, John Porcella <> wrote:
    > >
    > > "Jimchip" <> wrote in message

    > [snip]
    >
    > >> My key is directly on the manual, not the box.

    > > On reflection, you must be right. However, my things are in such a mess
    > > (following redecoration) that I no longer know where things are!

    > It only took me ~3 months to find mine...Box after box from Jan.-Mar.
    >
    > One day, you'll stumble across it and think or say "Oh, there it is".:)

    That is what I am trying to avoid!

    I am away from teaching now for the summer, so I should have time to clear
    things up...but whether I can really be bothered to is another thing!

    > You might want to call MS in the meantime...you've got a pretty good
    > excuse and they can give you a serial # even though they're not
    > suporting the OS anymore. Whether they will or not is a question.
    > Good luck.

    The suggestion right at the start of the thread to look in the registry
    worked a treat, as did somebody's suggestion about using a piece of freeware
    which confirmed it.

    Cheers.

    John

    John Porcella, Jul 27, 2006